Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cam Belt Query

"may present"
"a business decision may have been taken"
"may well be preferable "
"would probably be minimal "

This is what denial looks like. Would you replace perfectly good brake pads to avoid scoring the discs, especially if only one importer (UK) recommended it, even though the European market follows the manufacturer's recommendation and the European durability results support that recommendation?
I wasn’t involved in this decision so I cannot state their reasons with certainty. It’s certainly not denial on my part though, I just prefer the UK approach. I would for example not want a 15 year old cambelt on my van regardless of how good it looked during an inspection.
Its preventative maintenance, you could I am sure personally choose not to change the belt and request, and pay extra for, inspections instead in the U.K.

I wasn’t involved in this decision so I cannot state their reasons with certainty. It’s certainly not denial on my part though, I just prefer the UK approach. I would for example not want a 15 year old cambelt on my van regardless of how good it looked during an inspection.
Its preventative maintenance, you could I am sure personally choose not to change the belt and request, and pay extra for, inspections instead in the U.K.
By the way, I have the TSI, which has a timing chain, so no denial from me.

I've had a response from the belt manufacturer.

Dear Lawrence,

The belt service interval for the CXEB engine is 120000km in dusty area’s or with normal use 200000 km for the complete distribution kit.

Kind regards

NICO BOURGOIS
Technical Trainer
Automotive Replacement Sales & Marketing, EMEA
My follow up;

Is there also a “Time” or age limit?

Life span in age of a belt is maximum 10 years. But always follow VAG advice.
It only says check every 40000 km in dusty area’s the condition of the belt.

120000 km = 60 months
210000 km = 96 months
So max 92 months.

NICO BOURGOIS
Technical Trainer
Automotive Replacement Sales & Marketing, EMEA
Gates Industrial Europe SARL – Belgium branch
Korte Keppestraat 21/51
9320 Erembodegem, Belgium

So, from the manufacturer, they assume a 10-year life span, but with the VW recommendation, it's a max of 7 Years.

I've had a response from the belt manufacturer.

My follow up;

Is there also a “Time” or age limit?

So, from the manufacturer, they assume a 10-year life span, but with the VW recommendation, it's a max of 7 Years.
Thank you for following this up.

Thanks everyone for your input. My reply ...

Dear Mr Myers

I am confused by the contradictions in your emails…

In your first email you advised that the cam belt life is set by the VW factory …"The factory have set this as a recommendation just like they set the recommendation for every market that they make vehicles for."

Yet in your follow up email you admit it is a VWUK importer decision … “The decision to include a time as well as mileage is one taken by each importer. The specific reasons that lead to the decision, which has been implemented throughout 2 generations of Transporter are not available to share however they include average driving conditions, traffic levels, environmental factors, and indeed whole life vehicle maintenance costs. As it is only a recommendation, it is at the customer’s discretion if they choose to service the belt at our recommended intervals and does not impact either the vehicle warranty, which is for 3 years, or the warranty on the belt, which is 2 years."

I would like to seek clarity as to why UK owners of T5 & T6 Transporters (including my California) are being prompted to pay for an unnecessary procedure. From reading various VW Transporter forums, it seems that VW owners in Europe have a good history with trusting that the inspections of the cam belt at every service are actually taking place, i.e. there has been no rash of belt failures in Europe with the 210,000km limit, because a problem can be detected if there is early wear. Can you please advise if UK owners can be confident that their cam belts are being inspected by the VW centres, and that accurate information is given if they "choose" to not follow the UK specific recommendation? Is it a case that in the UK VW dealerships are not inspecting the cam-belt. If not why not?

I also challenge that the warranty on a new vehicle is for three years, but the warranty on the belt is only for two years, but we as owners are "recommended" to change it at four years… but only in the UK and not in Germany, Belgium, France, Spain, etc. This would only make sense if UK vans were fitted with belts manufactured to a lower standard than Europe. Is the UK cam belt a different specification to elsewhere in Europe? If I had a cam belt changed in France, would this then mean that I would only need to follow the 210,000 km guidelines?

I look forward to your reply and confirmation that you will be raising these queries via 'Technical Reporting via the Van Centre Network’, because as a customer, I do not have access to this reporting channel. We are directed via VW Centres to raise any general queries with your department at VWCC. Thank you.

Sincerely,
The reply ...
Thank you for the additional information provided and patience while we responded. We required the vehicle chassis code so that information relating to your specific vehicle could be referenced. I have updated your customer file with the other supplied information, thank you.

We had the Technical Support Team review the previous questions and responses that you were provided. They have informed me that the informational given is correct, i.e. the belt is recommended at 133000 miles or 4 years whichever occurs first. The mileage stated for the change interval is the maximum.

As you have queried why this differs from the advice in other European markets ,they informed me that each importer has the empowerment to decide on advisory’s based on data and long term research they undertake. The decision is then passed to the Factory who have to grant permission for the approval of the change or addition to the advice. In the case of the cam belt, the Factory have agreed to the amendment. There is no further information about this process that we are able to share with you other than this is a recommendation only. There is no impact in terms of warranty as vehicle warranty has usually expired before the belt interval is reached. I fully appreciate that this does leave some questions you asked unanswered however, after speaking to other departments in Volkswagen Group Aftersales there is nothing further that we can add regarding this.

Kind regards

Lloyd Bailey
Customer Relations
Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles

T 0800 783 4909
E customercare@vwcv.co.uk
Internet: www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk

The reply ...
Thank you for the additional information provided and patience while we responded. We required the vehicle chassis code so that information relating to your specific vehicle could be referenced. I have updated your customer file with the other supplied information, thank you.

We had the Technical Support Team review the previous questions and responses that you were provided. They have informed me that the informational given is correct, i.e. the belt is recommended at 133000 miles or 4 years whichever occurs first. The mileage stated for the change interval is the maximum.

As you have queried why this differs from the advice in other European markets ,they informed me that each importer has the empowerment to decide on advisory’s based on data and long term research they undertake. The decision is then passed to the Factory who have to grant permission for the approval of the change or addition to the advice. In the case of the cam belt, the Factory have agreed to the amendment. There is no further information about this process that we are able to share with you other than this is a recommendation only. There is no impact in terms of warranty as vehicle warranty has usually expired before the belt interval is reached. I fully appreciate that this does leave some questions you asked unanswered however, after speaking to other departments in Volkswagen Group Aftersales there is nothing further that we can add regarding this.

Kind regards

Lloyd Bailey
Customer Relations

T
0800 783 4909
So my Beach will be 4 next year but I took out an extended 2 yr warranty. Based on that reply I might consider delaying replacement until 2022.

There is no impact in terms of warranty as vehicle warranty has usually expired before the belt interval is reached. I fully appreciate that this does leave some questions you asked unanswered however, after speaking to other departments in Volkswagen Group Aftersales there is nothing further that we can add regarding this.

Kind regards

Lloyd Bailey
Customer Relations

T 0800 783 4909
Mr. Bailey has decided to avoid answering the question of whether there is coverage with the extended warranty if the 4 year change is in fact a recommendation and not a requirement. Is the extended warranty from the manufacturer (Volkswagen Nutzfahrzeuge), who from @Loz ‘s investigations with the Gates belt manufacturer recommend 200,000km or 7 years, or VWCV UK, who say 4 years or 133,000 miles?

Last edited: