Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cam Belt Query

For a decent mechanic changing a cambelt and water pump is a piece of cake..Any mechanic who has done an apprenticeship or has had good training it would make no difference if he was working on a van or a car..Mechanically they are both the same... I had a cambelt and water pump change at a local garage with extremely good reputation and feedback..Cost me £325.. one thing though I won’t be changing them again after another 4 years and 19000 miles after what I have heard regarding VW uk and VW in The rest of Europe...VW UK seem to be using us as a cash cow where VW in Europe say change them at 10 years...

So now we know by checking the Forum that in 2014 the official French VW workshop manual also said 210,000 km without time limit, check every 40,000 km, and only in case of extremely dusty conditions, 120,000 km.

That's Germany, Belgium, France and Spain. What is going on with VWUK?

So now we know by checking the Forum that in 2014 the official French VW workshop manual also said 210,000 km without time limit, check every 40,000 km, and only in case of extremely dusty conditions, 120,000 km.

That's Germany, Belgium, France and Spain. What is going on with VWUK?

"So the dealer searched his computer & found & printed the schedules for all items for post-2010 Cali's."

This last link above is especially interesting because it has the time schedule for every serviceable item for T5.1 Calis.

Has anyone challenged this with VW customer services? I'm sick of being ripped off and having unnecessary work done. In addition to cost, it's the environmental impact too.

Has anyone challenged this with VW customer services? I'm sick of being ripped off and having unnecessary work done. In addition to cost, it's the environmental impact too.
OK, I've sent this off to VW Customer Services this morning. What (if any) reply do we expect?

Good morning

I am writing to ask for an explanation as to why VW dealerships in the UK are insisting that cambelts on T6 California’s have to be changed every 4 years or at 140k miles, when the rest of Europe is 210k km with no time limit.

This is not a new criteria. I have researched on VW forums and this has been a requirement in the UK for many years.

What is it about the UK environmental conditions that ensures that within 4 years a cambelt is no longer fit for purpose compared to the much wider range of environmental conditions across the EU?

This appears to be a cash generating opportunity for VW in the UK. Aside from cost, it will also have an unnecessary negative impact on the environment.

My T6 California has been regularly serviced and had covered circa 35k miles in just over 4 years. I challenge VW to explain why this part will have deteriorated <100k miles below its suggested usage, when if it resided a few hundred miles away in Northern France, it would be still within its life.

I look forward to hearing back from you

Sincerely,

I’ve brought this up on the Forum before, since I bought my ex-demo Beach from a German VW dealer and had my local Westfalia dealer import it to Spain. I asked what the German service schedule was, and was surprised at the answer (210,000 km, no time limit, inspections at every service). I had been reading up on the forum before buying, and the 4 year business was accepted without question. As far as I know, no UK forum member has challenged this, and I can’t figure out why. There are enough European members on this Forum that it can’t be the first time that it’s come up.

OK, I've sent this off to VW Customer Services this morning. What (if any) reply do we expect?

Good morning

I am writing to ask for an explanation as to why VW dealerships in the UK are insisting that cambelts on T6 California’s have to be changed every 4 years or at 140k miles, when the rest of Europe is 210k km with no time limit.

This is not a new criteria. I have researched on VW forums and this has been a requirement in the UK for many years.

What is it about the UK environmental conditions that ensures that within 4 years a cambelt is no longer fit for purpose compared to the much wider range of environmental conditions across the EU?

This appears to be a cash generating opportunity for VW in the UK. Aside from cost, it will also have an unnecessary negative impact on the environment.

My T6 California has been regularly serviced and had covered circa 35k miles in just over 4 years. I challenge VW to explain why this part will have deteriorated <100k miles below its suggested usage, when if it resided a few hundred miles away in Northern France, it would be still within its life.

I look forward to hearing back from you

Sincerely,
Good letter!
As VW has made clear many times that it has little regard (nor understanding) of its Customers I think your chances of receiving anything meaningful are slim.
You won’t get a “give us your money then get stuffed we don’t care about you” response but it will use some more positive language, a platitude or two, and words which when you strip them out of the response will leave “give us your money then get stuffed we don’t care about you”.
Or.....no response at all.

I have an automated response saying they will aim to reply in 5 days.
Tick, Tock, Tick, Tick
Let’s see shall we

This will get knowhere. Look what it to took to get the blatant and illegal emissions scandal exposed. They will say something along the lines of its recommended additional work like the brake fluid change , a/c top up and so on. The dealers need to make money somewhere and in the Uk thats in the service department and finance deals.

When the customer walks through the door they see a locked bag of money and as there job to unlock it. Thats it , not your mate , not on the Xmas card list. Most business works like this these days even if they dress it up as something else. When the power shifted from Engineers to accountants. Yes I watched it happen as an Engineer and no I dont like it.
Look at the shoddy "value engineered " Golf Mk8 blatant vs the Mk7.
Thing is these are the new rules so Caveat Emptor. Cambelt, discs and pads etc etc are all things to watch and make your own mind up, the sad reality is most folk dont understand it so dont know they are being taken which for the most part they are. Always the exception of course.

None of the parts be it Cambelt, water pump or most of the other consumable parts are made BY VW...They are made FOR VW.. by the company who gives them the best prices..That’s how business works..

It sounds like the more frequent replacement interval specified in the U.K. is instead of the inspection specified at every service outside the U.K.
Presumably the cost of the service in the U.K. is lower to reflect the reduced workload? The belt replacement cost should be offset by the service cost reduction over the 4 year duration or U.K. mileage belt change interval.

Good morning
Many UK owners have been told 4 years or 80,000 miles!
Something to take into account when contacting VWUK about the 210,000km without time limit recommendation in Germany, Belgium, France and Spain-10 years.

Last edited:
I've had the following reply from VWCS this morning...

Sent: 13 July 2020 10:50
Subject: VW1864655X -

Thank you for your email regarding the cam belt on your T6 California.

The 4 years in the UK market is a recommendation set by the factory in Germany. It is not a requirement for the cam belt to be changed at 4 years.

The factory have set this as a recommendation just like they set the recommendation for every market that they make vehicles for.

Here at customer care we cannot change the recommendation nor influence and the factory will have there own reasons as to why they have set this.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards

Matthew Myers
Customer Relations Manager

Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles

T
0800 783 4909
E customercare@vwcv.co.uk
Internet: www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk

Like I said above
" They will say something along the lines of its recommended additional work like the brake fluid change , a/c top up and so on"
So its optional and i opted out with the same on my Citigo cambelt.
I will keep a copy of this advice as the first time I have seen it written down when i decline to do my cambelt.

"The factory have set this as a recommendation just like they set the recommendation for every market that they make vehicles for."

Bizarre second class treatment of UK owners if true. Could it actually be true that cam belts fitted to right hand UK Calis are of an inferior quality to those fitted to European vans?

Shameless if it's not. Take your pick.

Last edited:
"Here at customer care we cannot change the recommendation nor influence and the factory will have there (sic) own reasons as to why they have set this.

Kind regards

Matthew Myers
Customer Relations Manager"

If Mr. Myers can't even handle grammar in English, I don't see him being the ideal person to respond to an apparent abuse of UK owners.

The fact that they talk about the UK “market” rather than climate or environment suggests that it’s more a marketing tool (earner) rather than any technical or physical reason. Can anyone write German? It might be interesting to hear what the factory say!

I've had the following reply from VWCS this morning...

Sent: 13 July 2020 10:50
Subject: VW1864655X -

Thank you for your email regarding the cam belt on your T6 California.

The 4 years in the UK market is a recommendation set by the factory in Germany. It is not a requirement for the cam belt to be changed at 4 years.

The factory have set this as a recommendation just like they set the recommendation for every market that they make vehicles for.

Here at customer care we cannot change the recommendation nor influence and the factory will have there own reasons as to why they have set this.

Kind regards

Matthew Myers

T
0800 783 4909
Internet: www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk

I've sent this follow up...

Dear Mr Myers

Thank you for your email and for clarifying that it is not a requirement for the cam belt to be changed at four years.

Unfortunately this does not answer my questions as to why the advice to UK owners is different to those elsewhere in the EU i.e. that there is a time limit on a UK cam belt, but only a distance (i.e. usage one elsewhere).

If it is not a requirement, please can you tell me why it is indeed advised at all? The variables in engine usage and maintenance must differ dramatically from vehicle to vehicle.

I find it a bizarre statement that ‘customer care ’cannot influence the factory. This must be one of the fundamental purposes of your department if a customer raises a query which appears to disadvantage a particular customer, group of customers or even as in the case a whole geographical market place.

I have been advised by a VW dealership to change my cam belt based on the spurious recommendation of the VW factory and not as would seem more appropriate, an inspection of my vehicle. When asked if I should continue to drive my vehicle on a planned trip over to France, I was advised by the VW dealership not to. Why would this be if it is not indeed a requirement and if my mileage is significantly lower than the recommended maximum usage?

I would like you to please escalate this enquiry to the VW factory to gain clarity for customers like me as to why we are being advised to spend £500+ on a part charge that may not be necessary. At this stage it looks like profiteering by VW to those of us in the UK market as the time period is not being recommended in other countries.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

I've sent this follow up...

Dear Mr Myers

Thank you for your email and for clarifying that it is not a requirement for the cam belt to be changed at four years.

Unfortunately this does not answer my questions as to why the advice to UK owners is different to those elsewhere in the EU i.e. that there is a time limit on a UK cam belt, but only a distance (i.e. usage one elsewhere).

If it is not a requirement, please can you tell me why it is indeed advised at all? The variables in engine usage and maintenance must differ dramatically from vehicle to vehicle.

I find it a bizarre statement that ‘customer care ’cannot influence the factory. This must be one of the fundamental purposes of your department if a customer raises a query which appears to disadvantage a particular customer, group of customers or even as in the case a whole geographical market place.

I have been advised by a VW dealership to change my cam belt based on the spurious recommendation of the VW factory and not as would seem more appropriate, an inspection of my vehicle. When asked if I should continue to drive my vehicle on a planned trip over to France, I was advised by the VW dealership not to. Why would this be if it is not indeed a requirement and if my mileage is significantly lower than the recommended maximum usage?

I would like you to please escalate this enquiry to the VW factory to gain clarity for customers like me as to why we are being advised to spend £500+ on a part charge that may not be necessary. At this stage it looks like profiteering by VW to those of us in the UK market as the time period is not being recommended in other countries.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Nicely put. This could match the roof corrosion saga!

And the response ...

In response to your latest email please see below.

The decision to include a time as well as mileage is one taken by each importer. The specific reasons that lead to the decision, which has been implemented throughout 2 generations of Transporter are not available to share however they include average driving conditions, traffic levels, environmental factors, and indeed whole life vehicle maintenance costs. As it is only a recommendation, it is at the customer’s discretion if they choose to service the belt at our recommended intervals and does not impact either the vehicle warranty, which is for 3 years, or the warranty on the belt, which is 2 years.

I find it a bizarre statement that ‘customer care ’cannot influence the factory. This must be one of the fundamental purposes of your department if a customer raises a query which appears to disadvantage a particular customer, group of customers or even as in the case a whole geographical market place

Regarding our influence over the Factory, whilst we can present customer issues directly to them, we are not in a position to challenge the Factory over recommended servicing requirements. Any challenges to Factory must be delivered by the appropriate channel, which in this instance is Technical Reporting via the Van Centre Network.

With regards to the Van Centre comments, we are unable to give specific reasons as to why you were advised not to drive the vehicle. Although given that you were planning to drive the vehicle with a cam belt that may be passed the recommended change interval, the Van Centre have advised in accordance with the recommendations set out. Had they advised you to drive past the recommendation and you encountered any issue, there could be a potential legal dispute.

I acknowledge your request for this to be presented to the Factory. As customer complaints are monitored by the Factory they will be aware of the feedback and any changes to the service regime will be communicated in due course should any changes be made.

Kind regards

Matthew Myers

T 0800 783 4909

Internet: www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk <http://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk>

Any suggestions regarding a response are appreciated. As expected... no ownership of the query and a complete fob off response. Has anyone heard of 'Technical Reporting via the Van Centre Network'???