Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping in the snow

2 nights at Crystal Palace, London, at the Motorhome and Caravan Club site this week. The top cover and screen cover kept it nice and warm. The California would be hard to beat.

Did u sleep in bottom or roof
Hi, I slept up in the roof, but with a quilt from my bed at home and some warm air from a small fan heater is was fine. The extra top cover makes a big difference. I asked for pitch number 1 which is right opposite the showers so only a few steps in my dressing gown and flip flops...sorry, no pics of me!

I was just curious as to how cold it got up there with the factory espacher Auxiliary heater on
Yes, actually the factory fitted heater is better than the low amperage fan heater I've got. As I had mains hookup on the camping site I thought I'd use the electricity and save the diesel fuel. I've wild camped in the winter and used the built in heating system with great success. It works really well but there is a bit of a ticking noise whilst its running....not a problem to me.

We did 3nights in Chamonix last year, temps went dow to -2 or -3. First time out in those conditions for us. We slept up top, no topper, duvet and the Cali heater, really snug, no condensation and woke up to wonderful view of Mt Blanc

We had some friends camping near us in the Peak District a few years ago and their son slept in a popup tent. Come the morning his mum heard him shouting for help. Stuck inside as the zip had frozen solid after the previous day's rain. Quick dose of warm water to free him.

Back