Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campingaz Finland

Looking at Mr WWs photo and by the description of the adapter, he is using a propane bottle to refill a bottle which is intended to hold butane. The propane exerts a greater pressure than the butane, but I don't think that matters as the Campingaz cylinder should be O.K. for this. There could be problems though with the cooker gas regulation and control due to the different gas. The same procedure is possible (I'm told) with large butane cylinders and appropriate fittings

Haha well spotted. Campingaz 907 cylinders are good for 30bar and propane is only 7bar, even at 50 deg c - that's why some 907s have 2.5kg propane / 3kg butane stamped on the base depending on the manufacturer for CG. I only fill to 2.2kg and find propane works fine in the cali. In fact, I was glad of it on our Alps trip in Feb because I could bbq outside.

Just out of interest, is the Campingaz valve also Gaslow?

Haha well spotted. Campingaz 907 cylinders are good for 30bar and propane is only 7bar, even at 50 deg c - that's why some 907s have 2.5kg propane / 3kg butane stamped on the base depending on the manufacturer for CG. I only fill to 2.2kg and find propane works fine in the cali. In fact, I was glad of it on our Alps trip in Feb because I could bbq outside.

Yes -- need to put less propane (i.e. max 2.5kg) vs butane (max 3kg) as at any given temperature the pressure of the propane will be higher. So need more "space" for propane for gas expansion in the cylinder on warmer days.

Transfer of liquid gas from one container to another as shown by Wiggly Woo is perfectly safe. He is using proper tubes and connections. This is exactly the same procedure that is used to refill gas lighters and portable soldering irons. The golden safety rule is to never exceed the maximum gas weight stamped on the cylinder.

Always worth checking your cylinder is in good condition too.

These were the ones we had on our Himalaya trek last October. Seemed to work fineView attachment 59198
Which Sherpa drew the short straw? What sort of fill arrangements are availabe there?
Sorry, slipping off topic a bit.

Transfer of liquid gas from one container to another as shown by Wiggly Woo is perfectly safe. He is using proper tubes and connections. This is exactly the same procedure that is used to refill gas lighters and portable soldering irons. The golden safety rule is to never exceed the maximum gas weight stamped on the cylinder.
There is properly designed equipment out there to facilitate this, but you have to navigate your way round the gas fittings and hose connectors. The Gaslow POL for propane connects to a 21.8LH female fixing and hoses with this connector at both ends are readily available. The BES connector 8888 connects to a butane nut and tail which I think is W20, so a connecting hose with 21.8LH at one end and W20 at the other is required. These are readily available. An alternative is to have a hose connector with 21.8LH at each end and use a 21.8 LH adaptor for the Campingaz. Again these are readily available. I'm sure that I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, my point is the same as Brian S; doing this can be reasonably safe with the right precautions and equipment, but potentially very dangerous with a lash-up and a casual attitude. That's why it is illegal.

Last edited:
The filling tube should be purged of air before starting to fill the camping gaz cylinder. This can be done by connecting the filling tube to the large cylinder with the camping gaz valve not yet connected to its cylinder. With the large cylinder upright open its valve and then briefly open the camping gas valve to allow gas to flow from it. The tube is now full of gas and the camping gas cylinder can be attached.
When the cylinder is filled close the valve on the camping gaz cylinder and remove the cylinder Turn the large cylinder upright and close its valve. Open the camping gaz valve to release the gas from the filling tube. You do not want to store the filling tube full of liquid as there is no room for expansion in it.

An exchange 907 cylinder in Stockholm just cost me £42.

An option I’ve been considering is a full on LPG conversion, which installs a large toroidal tank in the spare wheel location. I could then use this as a backup fuel source as I have a TSI and also use it for the cooker. I’m not sure if there are any adverse implications for the engine of running in LPG though. I know it would void the warranty but mine runs out soon anyway. Has anybody done this on a T6?

An exchange 907 cylinder in Stockholm just cost me £42.

An option I’ve been considering is a full on LPG conversion, which installs a large toroidal tank in the spare wheel location. I could then use this as a backup fuel source as I have a TSI and also use it for the cooker. I’m not sure if there are any adverse implications for the engine of running in LPG though. I know it would void the warranty but mine runs out soon anyway. Has anybody done this on a T6?