Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campingaz refills

My guess (and it is nothing more than a guess) is those dealers who do a swap have their own safe refill facility on the premises, but the refill process is longer than a while-you-wait service. Instead they do a swap.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
If that is the case why does the exchange bottle have a red plastic seal on it? The same seal is used in the UK, Spain, France, Portugal, Italy and no doubt other countries as well

If that is the case why does the exchange bottle have a red plastic seal on it? The same seal is used in the UK, Spain, France, Portugal, Italy and no doubt other countries as well
I’m not referring to the Campingaz bottles but their competitor 007 bottles. Campingaz swap refills are factory washed, painted and sealed and should look like new when swapped.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Its about 23 Euros for a 907 refill in France, I got one in October. Once again we are ripped off in the UK.

I just googled the Chorley one. I think they’re legit. Might give it a go

Yes, they are legit. They’ve got an retail shop premises in Adlington, near Chorley, Lancs, that sells all sorts of gas and related appliances. They’ve been trading since 2003 and registered with Companies House in 2005.

The shop on EBay has the same business details. They get great reviews on eBay, 5 out of 5 in all categories.

Are you thinking of getting a Leisuregaz 007 from them, Matt?

Yes, they are legit. They’ve got an retail shop premises in Adlington, near Chorley, Lancs, that sells all sorts of gas and related appliances. They’ve been trading since 2003 and registered with Companies House in 2005.

The shop on EBay has the same business details. They get great reviews on eBay, 5 out of 5 in all categories.

Are you thinking of getting a Leisuregaz 007 from them, Matt?

Hi Elly, yes I thought it would be Gould to have two 907s in rotation

I’ve been trying to get more info on sales of both new, full Leisuregaz bottles and future plans for refill/return options. As there is nothing apart from full bottles being available on eBay I’ve contacted both Leisuregaz and Chorley Bottlegas. I’ll post any replies I get in this thread.

Hi Elly, yes I thought it would be Gould to have two 907s in rotation
Hi Mat, sorry, I’m a bit confused (easy done, lol). Do you mean you might buy a Leisuregaz 007 to rotate with an existing Campingaz 907?

Its about 23 Euros for a 907 refill in France, I got one in October. Once again we are ripped off in the UK.
Have you seen the price of their diesel recently?

Running at a bit of a tangent, however...

When we go into France we always try to have the minimum quantity in the 907s (I have two on board) then exchange at a supermarket. Leroy Merlin in Calais is often handy and always close to the cheapest, go to the enquiry desk just through the door and ask, the girls there will sort it for you.

I'm now trying via a friendly contact to acquire a spare empty cylinder or two so that when we next go over into France and refill it will ensure that we can have some 'in stock'for use in the UK.

If I can save between £10 & £15 per refill by purchasing in Europe it seems worthwhile.

Rod

Early this morning I had an email from Chorley Bottlegas. They have intended to include the Leisuregaz bottles on their website for months, but now have it as a priority.

A local refill swap will cost £20. I’ve asked if they have plans for a wider system.

Hope to have more info soon.

Hi Elly, we use these in the north west if you are passing. Very good prices.
https://chorleybottlegas.co.uk/gas-cylinders-north-west/campingaz/
Thanks, LarryLamb. £25 for a 907 refill, that’s good. I bought 2 empty bottles some months back pretty cheap. We’ll be collecting our van from Liverpool so may go out to Chorley BG for refills - I’ll save £20, the difference between theirs and my local GoOutdoors.

All I need now is my van - arggggggggh!

The term 'sealed' on a Camping GAZ cylinder is a joke as the screw out plug can be removed without breaking the red plastic ring and then replaced just as easily.

Maybe they’re punting out the older, shabbier bottles, that people turn their nose up at in the shop, on eBay for cheaper.

Maybe they’re punting out the older, shabbier bottles, that people turn their nose up at in the shop, on eBay for cheaper.
As far as I am aware ALL Campingaz refillable bottles that are exchanged AND refilled by Campingaz are resprayed before resale/exchange.
These rusty bottles have probably been at the back of the outdoor storage cage for a few years - hence rusty.

Not sure that every botlle gets a respray doh ....
It's shown in that vid that @Amarillo posted but guess thats a prome vid.
If you take a look at the rack in the trade center there are old and new (respayed) botlles .

If you take a look at the rack in the trade center there are old and new (respayed) botlles .
I wonder if they treat the rust properly before painting. Personally, I’d rather see state of the rust and where it is so I can decide whether to take the bottle or not.

Have had another thought about the Leisuregaz bottles. With their colour being yellow they’re going to attract bees, wasps and other bugs (not sure if mosi’s and midges love yellow).

Not a problem if they’re used in the Cali compartment. But, if cooking outdoors or they’re uncovered in the back of the van, you won’t want a lovely shiny bug beacon shouting, “over ‘ere lads!” So, I think it would be wise to keep it in some sort of bag/cover.

Campingaz is very expensive. From what we read here, in the UK even more so than anywhere else.

Just know: there are two types of Campingaz bottles around, the 'regular' which is only suited for butane, and 'dual use' ones which are also suited to hold propane (albeit only 2.5 kg instead of the 3.0 kg of butane, for obvious reasons). You can see on the bottom rim of the bottle if it may be used for propane (see photo below).

Where professional gas refill stations usually won't touch the Campingaz 'butane only' bottles (they just swap them), in our experience the 'dual use' bottles can be refilled with propane at a professional gas station without ado (you may have to point out the notification on the rim). We have done that in Italy and Norway this year.
Just had ours topped up (another nice possibility, compared to 'regular' Campingaz...) again this morning at a local station in our neighbourhood here in NL, for our upcoming Sweden trip. Cost: €6.63. Really a lot cheaper than any Campingaz swap, anywhere.

We have seen the 'dual use' 907 bottles pop up in Germany and the Alps region. Just look out for them whenever you do a swap there. We scored ours in Italy, last year. Or buy a new 907-sized propane bottle for yourself, ie. here or here. After one or two refills instead of swaps you will have recouped your initial investment already!

IMG_2307.jpg

Then, of course, it may not be a wise investment for UK-based members: there is always the question whether, after Brexit, you guys are allowed the continued use of these horrid EU-standard bottles in the UK at all... Guess Boris and his crew will want you to go back to Whitworth threading, psi norms and other things that made Britain great once! (pun intended!)

Never been offered or seen a rusty one in the UK when changing mine.

Back