Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Car Parks....let's do a list!!

Zebedee

Zebedee

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
There seems to be a lot of discussion about car parks and a lack of reliable information about which are dodgy and which are ok.

Why can't we start our own thread about this and then if you are visiting an area you can look it up and see which are ok......might save a lot of heartache, stomachs in mouths, and potentially pricy bills !!!!

I'll start it off if you like.

Wandsworth; Southside - Garratt Lane iffy
Wandsworth : Southside - Durnsford Road NO WAY !!!!
Wandsworth: Sainsbury's multi storey newly opened and a lovely 2.7 metres YAY!
Putney; Exchange - don't even try it....even if ok on height would never get round the very tight bends or fit in the impossibly small parking spaces (apart from the fact it is also a rip off!)
Wimbledon; Centre Court Shopping centre - yikes no way

Brighton Station car park no way... but drive round the back. Chat to the great attendant next to the station at the back and he can open the locked gate and let you in to park on top of the mult-story avoiding the low barrier! :D

My experience in/around Glasgow is that the information on the signs is clear and permanent but the actual height of the bar in most of them seems to vary quite a bit from week to week for a whole range of reasons :headbang

I love carparks before Christmas

Dave and Lisa :thumb

Wakefield Westgate station - long/short stay - FINE
Four Lane Ends Park and Ride on Newcastle Metro - FINE
Leeds - plenty of openair parking so not tried multistories
Liverpool Q-Park Liverpool ONE - FINE but pricey

Both WINCHESTER & SALISBURY - 1st class park & ride :cool

Do be wary of the hanging bar at entrances to multistory car parks.

A few years ago I got easily into a car park in the T4 van I used then, only not to get under a fire door on exiting the following morning. A very expensive night's parking... :headbang

Leeds - NCP at Wellington Place.

It's a bit out of the way and expensive. There's lots of on-street parking limited to 2 hours and various open air car parks that can fill up when its busy. The modern Trinity and Criterion car parks near the station are 1.98 and 2.0 respectively so not for me.

Armouries and The Light multistories are high enough according to parkopedia

If you need Parking in Hanley(Stoke on Trent) Marsh Street North no height restriction £1:00 per hour or £4:00 all day.
Telford, multi storey next to House of Fraser £1:50 per hour 2:00 metre height limit ( my Beach fits) but it seems a lot lower :eek:

Leeds again - middle of City Centre - QPark + The Light. Roof height's fine but it's a bit narrow getting in so being city centre Leeds there's Range Rover paint and wheel alloy all over the entrance. Don't let it put you off if you can point your van in the right direction.

Cardiff Centre.
John Lewis -excellent
St David's -excellent
Avoid Westgate Street multi story

Cardiff Bay
large multi-storey behind Millenium Centre -excellent
St David's Hotel - open air - excellent but hot on overstay

As a regular visitor to Cardiff I have always tended to stick to on-street parking for shorter visits or the Park and Ride at Cardiff City Stadium for longer visits Perhaps I am being a little to cautious What are the maximum heights at the multi storey car parks listed? Have you tried them? Do you have an awning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi wyn, my Landrover Defender has no problems at any of those car parks, and that has a minimum height of 2.02 m, more than a California with an awning. Also the spaces at John Lewis and St David's centre are designed for the lady driver, sorry ladies, with 2ft between each 6'6" parking space. :bananadance

How timely was that advice, saw it last night and made use of the advice today - parked today in Cardiff at the St David's centre, where height was quoted as 2.02 m I think. Still makes me duck though !!

I’m always amazed at the hit-and-miss(!) nature of max headroom. Height restrictions are rarely prominent in car-park websites, even at Hesthrow T5 (2.2m).

I recently ascended the vehicle-ramp at the rear of the Pentagon Shopping Centre in Chatham, on my way to getting covid-jabbed. Zero height restrictions on the website or vehicle access road, up to the top of the (one-way) ramp, until the actual entrance to the ROOF car park! Then, just to confirm that you’re now in the 1970’s...
Max height 6’6”
Oh dear. 3 cars behind me already!

Other experiences include:
Several picnic spots, where the 2m goalpost is leaning over, making it 1.9m.
A multi-storey in Cork, where we made it under the 2.1m restriction at the entrance, but had to swerve to avoid a sheet of formwork left hanging from a soffit, once inside.

Back