Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Caravan and camping club

We are members of the C&CC and find their Big Sites Book almost worth the cost alone. It covers all of the UK and has the sites that they recognise in it with a short detail of what facilities are at the site, the cost and directions plus contact details. Sites are filed by the OS sheet there are on.

We are meeting friends this week and half way between us is approximately the New Forest area. A short while of looking through the list for Landranger 195 suggested a site in Fordingbridge would be suitable. A quick check on their web site confirmed that it seems as nice as it sounds.

Putting campsites, New Forest into Google just brings up the big ones first as those are where most people want to go. When we had young children with us we looked for a different type of site, now we look for small, family run sites.

I think that as the Cali is possibly not as self sufficient as a caravan or large motorhome, you need to interact with others and you can meet people more easily on a camping site. At the washing up area for example.
You do get a good rate with the RAC if you need that as well, and their Insurance rates are quite competitive.
They also can get you good rates on ferries if needed.

Hi. We're members of both. We've found that, between them, there's great coverage of the UK. We get away fairly regularly and tend to incorporate a site from at least one of them as part of our trips. Based on our usage I'd say we easily get our money back. From personal experience, can't say we've noticed any difference in friendliness between either with both being very welcoming.

Don't let the name of the sites fool you. They tend to name the sites after the most popular destination in the region not necessarily the closest geographical town or village. Take the ccc Windermere site for example, it's absolutely miles away from Windermere and nearer to Kendal. I do wonder if this is intentionally misleading. Check the location before booking. Oh and don't walk on the grass, turn up too early, leave too late, make any noise, breath too loud too often....

....or need the facilities at 11am...

And if the check-in Staff say the phrase "There we are then" as you finish checking in, it's not a compliment...

(Insider knowledge from friends of ours)

We are members of both CC and CCC. Great coverage and usually very friendly and helpful staff. Very happy with both clubs and they pay for themselves after only a few visits. Facilities are always very clean and some have useful little shops on site for those moments when you realise you have left something at home (like we did last weekend) or just fancy an ice cream on a hot day (again, like we did last weekend).

Just looking at staying down in the Cotswolds visiting family. The site we looked at was C & CC. Just wondered what people's impression was of their own sites as to whether it would be worth joining?
We have found the both the CC and C&CC sites very good with some better than others. I prefer the C&CC sites as I felt slightly out of place on the CC sites being full of large caravans and motorhomes. I prefer the more relaxed feel that I found with the C&CC sites. So far this year we have not renewed our CC membership due to lack of use. Oh, and the magazine went straight into the recycling bin nothing in it that interests me.

FYI I believe the C&CC will let you have a electronic version of the mag if you prefer to save the paper going straight in the bin, I seem to recall they offer a small discount for this too.

Don't let the name of the sites fool you. They tend to name the sites after the most popular destination in the region not necessarily the closest geographical town or village. Take the ccc Windermere site for example, it's absolutely miles away from Windermere and nearer to Kendal. I do wonder if this is intentionally misleading. Check the location before booking. Oh and don't walk on the grass, turn up too early, leave too late, make any noise, breath too loud too often....
Sounds like the airports Ryan Air use.

FYI I believe the C&CC will let you have a electronic version of the mag if you prefer to save the paper going straight in the bin, I seem to recall they offer a small discount for this too.
yes - £37 vs £43

Mine is delivered electronically...

and automatically goes to junk, just as the paper version did :D

I was with both last year but just CC now. Prefer them as there is no minimum stay requirement unlike popular CCC sites. Prefer the magazine too and excellent facilities.

Reactions: wyn
I was with both last year but just CC now. Prefer them as there is no minimum stay requirement unlike popular CCC sites. Prefer the magazine too and excellent facilities.

Plus a chance to enter caravanner of the year .... :shocked

yes - £37 vs £43

If you get the electronic version you don't get the Big Sites Book that gives you sites all round the UK that they have checked. It's that book that we find really useful for finding those quiet little sites that we prefer.

They do have a good app for android and iphone that has the big book in it electronically if you are worried on missing out. You enter your membership number and it shows you all sites that are in the book.

We have used it to find sites in all kinds of random places. Worth updating on wifi though when updates are available as it seems to download the entire data set again. It is a really easy way to find nearby sites using your location on your phone, it will show you whats nearby and can be filtered too.

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/newsandevents/apps/
Does work for non members but only shows club sites not affiliates.

Last edited:
If you get the electronic version you don't get the Big Sites Book that gives you sites all round the UK that they have checked. It's that book that we find really useful for finding those quiet little sites that we prefer.

Yes, I looked at taking out the electronic version but you can only connect to it if you have an internet connection which quite often is not available if you are out in the wilds, when I explained that the ACSI app worked off line the lady said she had never heard of them.
I didn't bother:(

I just checked the app and it seems to have an offline mode now, Ill give it a try and see if that downloads the data.

Offline won't let you use the map to find a site (assuming that uses google maps as a base) however you can search by region now and look at a list of sites etc with full details.

So not perfect but much better than the previous version.

Offline won't let you use the map to find a site (assuming that uses google maps as a base) however you can search by region now and look at a list of sites etc with full details.

So not perfect but much better than the previous version.

Is that definitely working off line?
So long as you can search nearby and get a post code or coordinates I can put that in the sat nav.

Yes, set it to offline mode. I just searched with my phone in airplane mode for Sennen Cove and it came straight up. :) Looks like they took your feedback on board.

551490d7c488c6d389801e4a24f54d75.jpg

22d2805db690180bb3c391c39d6cf8af.jpg
feb00bc2cb5f015eaff36ca17c0fc055.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Matt really helpful. We love Sennen Cove.
Other benefits for CC&C club,see my thread " Insurers who are you with ? "

That's useful, but it doesn't seem to show the commercial sites which the Big Sites Book does?

I'm a member of both and do most of my camping their. I recently stayed on a private site with a similar spec to the clubs' bigger sites, and almost fainted at the bill.
Some of the difference is due to a pricing structure that benefits single travellers in particular, against the private sites who often just have a flat price per pitch, irrespective of how many in your group.

That's useful, but it doesn't seem to show the commercial sites which the Big Sites Book does?

I believe they are all there, Monkton Wyld is one we have stayed at a couple of times and was there in the search.

The commercial sites are under Club sites and Camping in the forest headings, the affiliate sites are under Certified Sites. Or do you mean something else by Commercial sites? My big book is 2 years old.