Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Carrs VW Van Centre Exeter

VW Badger

VW Badger

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I've been having the big services involving toothed belts on my T4 done at Carrs for a few years, doing the easier ones myself. They have always been very good and reasonably priced, and happy to explain any extra work to me so I could do the bits myself that I could (like the barely holding together exhaust). However I sensed that they were losing interest in servicing older vehicles last time I took it in.

While I was waiting for it to come back to me I happened to notice a shiny California in the showroom so had a look around. The issue of older vehicle servicing was soon resolved. Steve did me a very good deal on the options that I wanted and so I'm just waiting for it to arrive! Steve has been brilliant and kept me up to date with the build and delivery.

Happily a friend that has always coveted my T4 has offered me a reasonable price for it and I'm pleased it will go to someone I know will look after it. And it's just had a big service and new exhaust of course.

What a great story. Look forward to seeing pics of the new Cali when the wait is over. :thumb

We bought Cali from Steve at Carrs - he gave us the best price of all the dealers we contacted.

Picked it up today! Here’s Steve demonstrating some details to Annabel and William.

5EDB932E-DC79-4F39-B671-A688A6551C96.jpeg

Really bad experience after dropping van off for interim service and MOT.

Zero parking whatsoever place rimmed with vans. Disinterested receptionist and 10 minute wait to drop van off. MOT was done an hour late. I sat with another really passed off customer for well over an hour with nobody paying the slightest bit of interest in us. receptionist toddled off home without even bothering to enquire about the two of us waiting.

Eventually got seen and rushed out of the place after paying over £500 for replacement disks. No walk through of interim service. Nothing.

Another 10 minute wait as van blocked in by low loader.

That's it for me with main dealers now I am out of warranty. Definitely never going back to Carrs. Service in Swindon was light years ahead of this bunch.

That's a shame they used to be really good when I used them before, sounds like things have gone down hill.
Will be getting my Crafter serviced there until warranty runs out so doesn't bode well!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I used them a few weeks ago and have to say that they were OK. There were some admin errors - their link between reception and the service desk really does need some tweaking, it's only 20 odd feet but appears totally disconnected - but the work carried out was done well and under warranty without undue hassle. Parking really isn't great, it is very, very tight, but I witnessed care being taken over the vans by the staff. You can't account for the other customers though and I made sure I took a thorough set of phots at drop off in case of any dinks.
Martin - I would be interested to hear what you have heard about them, I haven't seen anything else on here. Be good to know if they are better avoided in the future.

From what I have heard it is mainly customer service issues and the dreaded parking there. I think they also have a high turnover of staff there which does not help.

Hopefully we will see some more good reviews like yours coming in now this thread has been bumped as we really don't have much choice down here in the West Country.

I was considering going to Breeze in Poole for my next service which is a 5 hour round trip , luckily I have friends and family over that way so I can make a few days of it but not ideal.

I agree completely with Martin, shocking customer service. Roof recall is one example, went in, expected call back, no call back, un-returned calls. Normally have to go in person to get any sort of response. Also have rust marks on roof lifting arms, they took photos over 6 weeks ago. Despite several calls and a face to face I was told yesterday it’s not been put on yet as a potential warranty claim! I asked for a call back with a job no., still waiting....I will do what I normally do, cycle down and discuss face to face. Parking is an issue but I believe they will be moving to bigger premises soon. Might try Indian Queens as I often work near there....trouble is it is still Carrs ( Helston Garages) come on Exeter, you can do better:headbang.

Best part of 2 hrs to Exeter for me, one of the (many) perils of living here - but when the fog and drizzle lift, there is no better place to be! Indian Queens, also Carrs, is my closest but they really screwed up on some previous warranty work replacing a window - basic communication issues with their contracted bodyshop. The work, when completed, was also very well done but took far more of my time to get sorted than it should have done. It took the close attention of a manager who actually delivered some excellent customer service and significant recompense to restore an element of faith in the dealership; enough that I will try them again for servicing and any van related work, but as they aren't a Cali dealer I wasn't confident enough to let them loose on some work in the habitation area. Thanks also to Wobbles Mum, who gave me the benefit of her experience and helped keep me clear of using a.n.other West Country Cali dealer.

We finally picked up our Cali Ocean last week, having been told originally we could pick it up 10 days earlier (and consequently selling our old van in the time being!!) Very very very poor communication - not replying to emails or phone call backs, and was a constant us having to chase them. I wouldn't recommend Exeter at all to any current or potential cali buyer - take your money else where!

We finally picked up our Cali Ocean last week, having been told originally we could pick it up 10 days earlier (and consequently selling our old van in the time being!!) Very very very poor communication - not replying to emails or phone call backs, and was a constant us having to chase them. I wouldn't recommend Exeter at all to any current or potential cali buyer - take your money else where!
Thanks for your feedback, hopefully the dealer principal will read this thread.

We bought Cali from Carrs and got a very good deal on the purchase. Chaotic collection as I had been given the wrong registration number prior to collection so had insured the wrong vehicle! Had to sort it out when we were with the dealer on collection day. Took Cali for her first service last year - no complaints other than nowhere to park when we got there.

I bought through Carrs and I think I had a good deal. My only disappointment was I originally asked for the H7 light upgrade and I realised some months afterwards that I didn't have them as they were missed off the quote (I should have noticed this) and they didn't suggest I added the free USB socket in the centre cubby.

Just ordered a set of H7 lights so that shouldn't be bugging me much longer.

Yes we found the lack of USB in the middle cubby hole very annoying! And un-needed. Has anyone found a solution of an after market fit to retrofit a USB in there?

I’ve got a major issue with my roof where I’m having issues opening and closing it. Called Carr’s on Tuesday, van was bought from there by original owner and I’d had it serviced there recently. Said they couldn’t fit me in until 23rd. I said I was going on holiday in the van that day could they fit me in before. No chance. Emailed their head of business on Tuesday. Still waiting for a reply.

People need to stop giving Carr's their business, what you read on here is only the half of it as I also receive numerous PMs from people that have had very poor service from them.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Yep, one more Cali owner who will avoid Carr’s, after....6 or 7 separate issues...I could list them...I am happy to pay top rate, for top rate service, but my mate Dean, who looks after my families less valuable cars, and charges 1/4 of the price , gives much better service....and I come home with a washed véhicule, instead of one covered I grease marks!...they even gave me an invoice 100 quid less than what I paid??.....didn’t know the service schedule for the van,,,,same as the T5, which must be most of their trade....tried to charge me extra for work that is within the fixed price servicing, ..didn’t do work that I had agreed before I brought the van in....shall I go on..

What choice do you have? I called Vw UK all they could do was give me the numbers of other dealers. I called one and got answer machine. Left message saying I had urgent problem with my California could they call me back. I’m still waiting.

What choice do you have? I called Vw UK all they could do was give me the numbers of other dealers. I called one and got answer machine. Left message saying I had urgent problem with my California could they call me back. I’m still waiting.
breeze in Poole.......can you help?

Yes, Breeze Poole is your best bet as we are working to build up a relationship with them there.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Too far away. I’d rather sell the van than be reliant on a dealer a 4 hour round trip away. That just doesn’t work for me at all.

Back