Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Carrs VW Van Centre Exeter

I would never use any of the Devon or Cornwall dealers again until something drastic happens! for me it was well worth the extra journey time to Breeze in Poole, I agree we should not have to but that extra hour drive is better than the stress of using the likes of Carrs

Last edited:
Our Cali had its last service/MOT by Breeze Poole have written a good review on here & google .
We live on Dartmoor near Tavistock . Yes it was quite a distance but we planned it with a long weekend break away to relatives in Denmead Hants. So dropped it off on the way. They even rectified a problem caused by the last dealer repair & even
better didn’t charge.
We will definitely travel to Breeze for the Cali next service/MOT.

Our Cali had its last service/MOT by Breeze Poole have written a good review on here & google .
We live on Dartmoor near Tavistock . Yes it was quite a distance but we planned it with a long weekend break away to relatives in Denmead Hants. So dropped it off on the way. They even rectified a problem caused by the last dealer repair & even
better didn’t charge.
We will definitely travel to Breeze for the Cali next service/MOT.

That's amazing!! I really want to be able to use a decent dealer so might have to consider making a weekend of it sooner, rather than later. I need to get me some relatives in the area! We can't unfortunatley do that with work vehicles though. It would just end up so expensive and time consuming. The OH might have to consider a Transit!!

I was really hoping I would be able to come on here and put something positive about Carrs Exeter after I had heard that the staff had all changed and some positive things had been reported by some local tradesmen I know.

Unfortunately, it looks like we are going to have to go very much further afield to start getting our vans looked after.

We took Denzil in for his first oil inspection and asked them to look at the sliding door again, as it is rubbing on the arch and is damaging the internal table again. This has already apparently been repaired/adjusted once before. I checked the van over for dents etc (they have a tight car park) before we left and found that the technician's tools had been left on the bench seat along with a booklet explaining how to fix the sliding door. To their credit, they have offered to put into a body shop for a re-spray but don't think they can replace the damaged table under warranty. I'm not sure why they are happy to pay out for a respray, and not a new table. We declined a respray. We would just like a table that isn't scratched.

We also washed the van on Sunday and the water filler cap just popped out complete with surround, still locked when my partner ran a cloth over it. It looks like the silicone has somehow come loose? They have removed the whole thing now including the neck and ordered new parts, which is fine. However, it is now exposed to the elements until they can fit us in again, so surely if it rains water will get into the cupboard inside? Am I expecting too much for some attempt at protection from the garage?

They were also asked to check the sunglasses holder as we noticed at the end of the summer, it was rattling. When we looked closer, there were bits of broken plastic in there and the screws that hold it in, look to be overtightened as there were splits either side of the screws, and a very small part had broken off.
When we picked up the van, we were told that the sunglasses holder wasn't covered under warranty according to the handbook. Apparently, the "handbook" has decided that we have forced it closed at some point, which got my partner's back up straightaway as he isn't likely to squash his expensive sunglasses into the holder and risk breaking either - plus it's fairly obvious that it has been overtightened in the factory! Do I really have to go hunting for a part number and order/replace this ourselves? It seems so.

Once again, I'm not impressed with VW, their care of our vehicles, their customer service or the attitude. It is poor that there doesn't seem to be any other alternative dealership in the southwest that can treat our Calis properly. Are we expecting too much? It's a long round trip for us to use Breeze in Poole, and expensive when we have more than one Transporter based vehicle to look after. Sorry for the long rant, but we are just so fed up with them all.

Hi I’m sorry to hear you ha e had such a bad experience. Not that it will be any help with your dealer but I have seen countless new calis, carravelles and transporters with the cracked sunglasses holder the whole roof consul now seems to be built with very week plastic and cracks as soon as a slight bit of pressure is put on it from a screw the other issues is when that screw is undone to replace the roof consul the securing clips in the roof lining normally snap again week plastic so you would need a new roof lining and consul and yes it is warranted within manufacture warranty. As for the fresh water cap again a new problem we seem to be facing the manufacturing process is poor in my opinion the two parts are held together with hot glue it’s just not strong enough however a simple fix to replace the panel and really yes it should have been made water tight for you. As for the table vw will cover it as consequential damage in the first repair along with paying for the adjustment and the respray however they will only cover it once as of the repair is carried out properly it would not happen again, if it’s a second or third repair then it was not carried out correctly in the first place and is down to the dealer to cover. Again sorry you have had a bad experience with your dealer I hope what I have said has cleared some things up.

Hi I’m sorry to hear you ha e had such a bad experience. Not that it will be any help with your dealer but I have seen countless new calis, carravelles and transporters with the cracked sunglasses holder the whole roof consul now seems to be built with very week plastic and cracks as soon as a slight bit of pressure is put on it from a screw the other issues is when that screw is undone to replace the roof consul the securing clips in the roof lining normally snap again week plastic so you would need a new roof lining and consul and yes it is warranted within manufacture warranty. As for the fresh water cap again a new problem we seem to be facing the manufacturing process is poor in my opinion the two parts are held together with hot glue it’s just not strong enough however a simple fix to replace the panel and really yes it should have been made water tight for you. As for the table vw will cover it as consequential damage in the first repair along with paying for the adjustment and the respray however they will only cover it once as of the repair is carried out properly it would not happen again, if it’s a second or third repair then it was not carried out correctly in the first place and is down to the dealer to cover. Again sorry you have had a bad experience with your dealer I hope what I have said has cleared some things up.

Thank you so much - This is very helpful as I will at least be able to go back armed with some facts. I'm not easily fobbed off as it is!

You couldn't make it up!

I got to work today and opened the side door, only to have it drop off to one side and then I couldn't close it or see what/why it was looking so wonky.

As I then couldn't leave it, or drive it, I called VW Assist who sent the AA. The AA man found that the two screws in the top roller hinge thingy, hadn't been put back and tightened up properly - which is probably why the tools and instructions were on the back bench upon pick up last week!!!

@VW Guru - Carrs are NOT having it back. Do you think it is possible that if I phone Breeze, they can pre-order the parts from some photos I send, (filler cap, sunglasses thingy) to avoid me having to make two, 2 hour trips to Poole or is that wishful thinking?

You couldn't make it up!

I got to work today and opened the side door, only to have it drop off to one side and then I couldn't close it or see what/why it was looking so wonky.

As I then couldn't leave it, or drive it, I called VW Assist who sent the AA. The AA man found that the two screws in the top roller hinge thingy, hadn't been put back and tightened up properly - which is probably why the tools and instructions were on the back bench upon pick up last week!!!

@VW Guru - Carrs are NOT having it back. Do you think it is possible that if I phone Breeze, they can pre-order the parts from some photos I send, (filler cap, sunglasses thingy) to avoid me having to make two, 2 hour trips to Poole or is that wishful thinking?
Look on the bright side they could have been doing work on your brakes!

Are people logging their complaints about Carr's with VWCS ? I have also had other problems reported to me about Carr's which have not publicly been posted on forum ?

You couldn't make it up!

Hi not a problem of course we can sort out the issue I will pm you my email and you can send the photos

I would never use any of the Devon or Cornwall dealers again until something drastic happens! for me it was well worth the extra journey time to Breeze in Poole, I agree we should not have to but that extra hour drive is better than the stress of using the likes of Carrs

Lucky you with an hours drive for good service. We are considering a five hour drive for our next service as good dealers are very thin on the ground up here in Scotland.

Are people logging their complaints about Carr's with VWCS ? I have also had other problems reported to me about Carr's which have not publicly been posted on forum ?

Yes, I phoned yesterday to obtain detail of how to complain directly to them, and over the weekend will get all the photos etc together to log with VWCS.

we had test drive there last August. this was the start of our journey towards purchase. tried to get a decent quote from them, but despite a very nice, new and not very informed chap wanting to help, this was not forthcoming. Totally unable to park within the vicinity and had to wait ages it seemed to be seen by anyone at all. There was an aggrieved customer shouting at them in the showroom when we were waiting, saying they had painted a panel the complete wrong colour....sales mgr apologised to US about it ( The chap was telling all within earshot to stay clear from Carrs for any work). I emailed them few months later, heard nothing, rang them and was told that our contact had left, but sales mgr would contact us. he never did. noted other poor feedback and decided then and there that we would not even use them for servicing, when we did purchase our Cali even though they are the most conveniently located centre. Hence we are now getting from Breeze, Poole and happy to journey for services etc trusting that they will be as good as others say they are.

Credit where credit is due, playing devils advocate, for Carrs. I now have a T6 Beech (previously 2 X SE and 1 Beech} that I picked up from VW Oxford, I had a lot of drama from them, a lack of PDI, damaged mirror and other bits and pieces. However, when these issues came up, I crossed referenced with Carrs, James and Tony have been patient and informative, they have recently serviced my current Cali and previously an SE (including roof warranty) and I'll also return with future business. You can't judge a book by its cover, every dealer has both good and not so good sides, Oxford had all the bells and whistles but I will not return with any future business, Carrs as mentioned the parking is tight but really not a problem, their service and information is sound. Its often not what we say but how you say it. Have a good day all.

I've taken some time to review Carrs, just to make sure I had the whole picture from purchase to servicing.

I placed my order with them in June 2020 and overall it was OK. There were times when they were unresponsive, but there were times when they were really proactive. Ordering in the pandemic and with a commercial vehicle dealer was always going to be troublesome I suppose. However, my overall view of the Carrs purchasing is positive.

Servicing has been really good, I had concerns after reading other peoples issues with them on the forums but to be fair, I've received a really good service.

The water pump failed, and they were quick to book it in (within a couple of days), they had ordered parts just in case so were ready to go if the failure was confirmed. When I called to book it in, I was also advised that there was a recall and they could do this at the same time (wiring loom possibly rubbing against steering column). The van was ready to collect on time, and has been fine since.

We have an issue with the waste water tank not showing as empty (its been like that since we brought it, I just kept forgetting to report it!). Again, the service guys were able to book it in quickly and advised me of another recall (something to do with the roof - not sure yet..). Again it was just a few days to get it booked in. Unfortunately some covid isolation has got in the way of the work being done - however they were quick to call me and rearrange a time.

Overall, I have no problems and would recommend them.

I've taken some time to review Carrs, just to make sure I had the whole picture from purchase to servicing.

I placed my order with them in June 2020 and overall it was OK. There were times when they were unresponsive, but there were times when they were really proactive. Ordering in the pandemic and with a commercial vehicle dealer was always going to be troublesome I suppose. However, my overall view of the Carrs purchasing is positive.

Servicing has been really good, I had concerns after reading other peoples issues with them on the forums but to be fair, I've received a really good service.

The water pump failed, and they were quick to book it in (within a couple of days), they had ordered parts just in case so were ready to go if the failure was confirmed. When I called to book it in, I was also advised that there was a recall and they could do this at the same time (wiring loom possibly rubbing against steering column). The van was ready to collect on time, and has been fine since.

We have an issue with the waste water tank not showing as empty (its been like that since we brought it, I just kept forgetting to report it!). Again, the service guys were able to book it in quickly and advised me of another recall (something to do with the roof - not sure yet..). Again it was just a few days to get it booked in. Unfortunately some covid isolation has got in the way of the work being done - however they were quick to call me and rearrange a time.

Overall, I have no problems and would recommend them.
Hi @devon_matt, mines had the roof recall when at a dealership for something else and ‘touch wood’ not had any issues. Had no issues prior to the recall either but I guess it’s worth having the update.
Regarding the waste tank showing some water in it when the tank is empty. Mine’s always done that and it’s just something I live with, however if your dealership solves the issue i’d be keen to know. I’ll then mention it when my van goes in for a service. Cheers, Mike

Hi @GrumpyGranddad the official verdict is that's how the waste tank works so no fix or change for me!

Just for anyone else, the roof recall was just to check if there was any rust / corrosion issues (think they are worried due to previous roofs having so many issues).

Hi @GrumpyGranddad the official verdict is that's how the waste tank works so no fix or change for me!

Just for anyone else, the roof recall was just to check if there was any rust / corrosion issues (think they are worried due to previous roofs having so many issues).
Thanks @devon_matt

Back