Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Central Control Panel issues

Yes, I had noticed this also, the controller knob on my 2015 Cali feels much sturdier than the one that was in my 2010.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I understand there are 3 basic faults with the control panel:
1: Display becoming illegible
2. Physical breaking of the button meaning input doesn't register
3. An over-sensitivity when rotating, meaning you whiz past your desired option

Recent discussions pointed to (1) possibly being damp related. I know you can buy new buttons for issue (2), but what is the cause of issue (3)?
Whilst that issue remains unclear, I don't know how to assess the quality of replacement units available to purchase.

Help does anybody know when replacing unit which plug do you put in first, I read this is important so you don't have to connect it back up to the computer.

According to the instructions in the download section. Small plug first

We hope to have some more control panels arriving later this week.

Pre Facelift are £285
Facelift £395

Price inc delivery

David the LCD has gone on my Central Control Panel.

Do you have a Pre face Lift Classic Cali CCP in stock.

JT

What is a "Classic Cali", mine is a T5 pre facelift with a 5 pot engine? :headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

John
Hi John how are you.

Yes its about time we had a name for our T5 pre face lift Cali's. Lets face it they not only were the first Cali's they were also the first campervans made in house by VW.

The original B747 ended up with the same nickname the Classic in British Airways.

You also have the 5 pot engine which is recognized as still the best and most powerful engine fitted to a Cali according to VW mechanics.

Enjoy your Classic.

JT

And am I right in believing that the central control panel remains identical and not improved in the T6. If this is the case (and I would like someone that has got a T6 maybe to confirm), I find it appalling that a known fault that has cost people a lot of money and grief has remained.

And am I right in believing that the central control panel remains identical and not improved in the T6. If this is the case (and I would like someone that has got a T6 maybe to confirm), I find it appalling that a known fault that has cost people a lot of money and grief has remained.
Externally it looks the same.

Think the controller is still the same.
If so , i would not worry to much . The control panel is not one of the worst problems . And if it turns out to have problems , they can be fixed or replaced .
I fear the roof corrosion more.....:Nailbiting

Last edited:
All fixed :thumb

First I would like to say VW shame on you. The way the ribbon cable is attached to the PCB (printed circuit board) is appalling. A much more robust way should have been used.

Thank you Pulsart for your post it was really helpful.

Unfortunately in my case I could not get a good connection using heat with a heat gun and holding the ribbon cable against the PCB using the edge of a metal ruler. Even wedging the cable in place, under the metal display cover, with foam and a small silicon tube did not restore my display.

In the end my fix was more crude. I removed the ribbon cable from the board completely. I then cleaned the contacts on the PCB with alcohol and then cut about 5 mm of the end of the ribbon cable to get a good contact.

Using some very thin white foam, the type used in packing, I wedged the ribbon cable to the PCB under the side edge of the metal chrome display cover . Amazingly the cable lined up with the contacts on the PCB and all is good. :embarrased

However, a word of caution only use my method as a last resort. Once you have removed the ribbon cable from the PCB you are committed and I cannot guarantee it will work for you.

JT

I've just replaced the faulty control panel button. The build quality if the original is appalling with very brittle plastic spikes to grip the spindle.

Followed the guide (including attach the smallest cable first when reconnecting) and all seems to be working - thanks to those involved for the great saving!

I understand there are 3 basic faults with the control panel:
1: Display becoming illegible
2. Physical breaking of the button meaning input doesn't register
3. An over-sensitivity when rotating, meaning you whiz past your desired option

Recent discussions pointed to (1) possibly being damp related. I know you can buy new buttons for issue (2), but what is the cause of issue (3)?
Whilst that issue remains unclear, I don't know how to assess the quality of replacement units available to purchase.

I know this is an old thread but my control panel suffers from Issue 3, over-sensitivity. It's not so bad for raising/lowering roof as that's the default but any touch on the button can cause the display to jump menus. I have put up with it for years, even replaced the button (issue 2) to see if that would help but to no avail. If anyone else has this problem and knows of a fix please do let me know.

This problem is still on the T6 !! My knob has gone all loose and the whole panel is due to be replaced under warranty next week.

This problem is still on the T6 !! My knob has gone all loose and the whole panel is due to be replaced under warranty next week.

Can't see how it should be diffrent as they changed noting to the contolpanel.
Don't think the controlpanel manifacturer was gonna make a new knob special for the t6

We hope to have some more control panels arriving later this week.

Pre Facelift are £285
Facelift £395

Price inc delivery
Do you have a prefacelift one in stock? If not when are they expected?
Thanks.

lavapotman

we only stock the control panel knobs now im afraid

@Lavapotman
I have address of a company i used for repair in Nederland if you are interested??
Thanks I will try replacing the knob first. It still works but the knob is temperamental and needs to be handled with care. The display is not good but still legible - perhaps try a hair drier if it's related to the damp weather???

Back