Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Central Control Panel issues

I've just been down to the garage to make sure I could find the faulty unit. Thanks for your offer - please could you give me your address /contact details?

robinf said:
I've just been down to the garage to make sure I could find the faulty unit. Thanks for your offer - please could you give me your address /contact details?

have PM my address

John

johntowers46 said:
robinf said:

have PM my address

John

can u give a brief description of fault please?

John

The problem with the original unit was that horizontal lines started appearing across the display obscuring the words and icons. Over a period of some months, it got progressively worse to the point where it was not possible to read anything! The faulty unit is the one I retained. The replacement unit (in Sept 2012) recently started showing the same symptoms so before it got any worse, I contacted VW in Cheltenham for a replacement under warranty. They kept this one (as it was a warranty item). Hope that helps! Robin

It means he's private messaged you his address through this forum. If you goto your forum inbox you should see a message from him there

Yes had mine replaced at 6 months old. Pathetic design having one control for so many functions. The hardware is Xmas cracker quality. I would prefer a separate switch for each function. You wouldn't find such rubbish in an aircraft so why stick it in a £50 k car?

The ccu is one of the features that swayed me towards the cali over a conversion - I think it's a really neat feature having all the controls in one place. The problem as everyone says is that the build quality is nowhere near good enough. And LCD screens went out with the ark!

I am glad it is not just us with this problem.We are on control panel number 4 and van is a 2008. Garage in France and Portugal say never heard of problem before!!!!!! Perhaps they should read this forum.Any one thought of a BIG complaint list about it to VW? :headbang

robinf said:
The problem with the original unit was that horizontal lines started appearing across the display obscuring the words and icons. Over a period of some months, it got progressively worse to the point where it was not possible to read anything! The faulty unit is the one I retained. The replacement unit (in Sept 2012) recently started showing the same symptoms so before it got any worse, I contacted VW in Cheltenham for a replacement under warranty. They kept this one (as it was a warranty item). Hope that helps! Robin

Just to keep you informed, have taken control panel to Electronics man today, he will see what he can do, am not pushing him as he is semi retired.

John

Mine is booked in for replacement on the 4th September (along with a new butterfly clip for the window); using Carrs Exeter and Carrs in Cornwall has recently been DIRE.

Exeter have been excellent with me. They even put the TV on for me and gave me coffee!

dynamicstall said:
Exeter have been excellent with me. They even put the TV on for me and gave me coffee!
I've given up on the Cornwall dealership. First impressions of Exeter are good; decent product knowledge, friendly, call answered immediately, etc. Fingers crossed!

Yes, Carrs at Exeter are very good, I had a meeting with the manager there a few weeks ago so they are very aware of the club so worth mentioning when you go along. If you need a contact there it is Pete Sowden

I've been dealing with Pete regarding the ccu replacement on mine this week he's a good chap - also Chris Martin is good too (no not that one!)
£1000 bill expected for mine btw!

No but got a list of things to do:
Service (quoted £340)
Brake fluid change £40
mot £50
Ccu £430
Faulty drivers leccy window guessing £150
End stops for awning rails £20 ish
And roof corrosion inspection.

The joys of owning a cali out of warranty!

We hope to have some more control panels arriving later this week.

Pre Facelift are £285
Facelift £395

Price inc delivery

HAS ANYONE FOUND SOMEONE THAT CARRIES OUT REPAIRS TO THE LIQUID CRYSTAL DISPLAY, HAVE JUST RETURNED FROM PORTO PORTUGAL AND WITH GREAT DIFFICULTY AND LUCK HAVE MANAGED TO GET ROOF UP AND DOWN. SO IT IS QUITE OBIVOUS TO ME THE UNIT WOULD FUNCTION IF NOT FOR THE FAULTY LCD, I AM SO P- - - - D OFF I AM SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING SELLING OUR CALI, ENGINE WISE IT HAS BEEN PERFECT ITS A SHAME VW DOES NOT ADMIT THERE IS A FAULT WITH THIS COMPONENT. THE FIGURES GIVEN ARE FOR UK MARKET HOW ABOUT THE REST OF EU EUROPE, WOULD MAKE INTRESTING READING I FEEL, KIND REGARDS TO EVERYONE RUPEE. :headbang[/WOULD JUST LIKE TO THANK EVERYBODY FOR THERE HELP AND ADVICE OVER THE PAST TWO HALF YEARS PLUS, I FINALLY NEGOTIATED A NEW CONTROL PANEL WITH A 7 % DISCOUNT COSTING US 437.20 EUROES TOTAL AND OUR LOCAL GARAGE IN PORTUGAL FITTED AND CHANGED LANGUAGE TO ENGLISH FOR THE PRINCELY SUM OF 30 EUROES. THE COSTS ARE SO SO MUCH CHEAPER THAN THE OTHER QUOTES I HAVE SEEN AND GOT IN UK, WE HAVE DECIDED TO SELL OUR L H D CALI LOOK OUT FOR IT AS ADVERTISING CALI CLUB ONLINE, KIND REGARDS TO EVERYONE RUPEE

We hope to have some more control panels arriving later this week.

Pre Facelift are £285
Facelift £395

Price inc delivery

Interestingly enough, I've found that Facelift CCU fit PreFacelift vehicles (And all functions work) ... Not sure about the other way around. I'll give it a try.

Some minor differences... Temp is a number on Facelift rather than Temperature on pre-facelifts. An the display is "reversed" as is the dark bits are light and the light bits are dark. (Pre-facelift - characters are dark on a pale background - post facelift the other way round)

This is comparing a 2009 with a 2014 CCU that I managed to pick up VERY cheap just to keep as a spare.

Pre facelift ccu will fit facelift cali. Mine is 2011 with pre facelift ccu fitted & works fine.

Sent from my SM-G900F

Hmmmm.. just read all the posts on this thread, having spotted it earlier whilst replying to the other Control Panel thread. I won't repeat my post from there, but it seems that my THIRD (second replacement) CP which was fitted today is a facelift model (part number is different, first 3 characters are 7E7 as opposed to 7H7 for the first 2 units....)
I noticed also (as mentioned in some of the posts on this thread,) that the fridge temp selection is 1-6 then MAX, as opposed to discrete temperature selection on the 7H7 unit in degrees C.

Have just checked in my Cali supplement handbook (03/2008 issue) and it says that the fridge unit temperature range is from -18C to +10C, so how do you select between those figures with the new CP? Does anybody know the corresponding degrees C value of the selections 1-6 and MAX? Also, does MAX mean maximum +ve temperature, or maximum coldness of the fridge, i.e. MINIMUM temperature? ISTR that the older unit was more intuitive, in that you went clockwise for an increase in the temperature, and anti-clockwise for a decrease in the temperature.

I have now got 2 spare 7H7 units that I will keep just in case my rotary button/knob decides to play up - so far I have only suffered the pixelation issue with the screen - never had a problem with the rotary control.... fingers crossed!

Rupee (RUPEE :rolleyes:) - mine is a 2008 LHD Comfortline which I bought ex-demo from a dealership in Germany - I don't think there's any difference in the CP between LHD and RHD.

Last edited:
Max is coldest. I run mine between 3 winter 5 summer in UK.

Thanks WG,
I now understand why the online shop sells temperature gauges for the fridge.... IMHO having 1-6 then MAX is a backward step from seeing and selecting the actual temperature required... I suppose it's called progress :headbang

My control panel just got replaced today under warranty, and the new selector feels completely different, maybe VW have recognised poor QC??

I did notice the price on the sign off sheet.... OOFT!

Back