Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Charcoal Canister - what does it do exactly?

P

Paul S

VIP Member
Intrigued by this on the options list. What does it actually do? I assume it is some form of air cleaning thingy. Is it worth having and can it easily be retrofitted?

Removes Carbon Dioxide from the air making it breathable for longer (well if it's the same as on subs anyways).

Ooooo-er. So if me and the Mrs have a spicy meal before retiring for the night I would need one of these or I will expire of asphyxiation before sunrise? :rofl

I presume it's charcoal as in an activated Carbon Scrubber which I would hope self cleans when to van is moving. But it's a good question does it need replacing eventually. Of course I should have checked with Wikipedia first the font of all knowledge both correct and incorrect lol See below and replace fruit with sleeping people for how I imagine but have no proof it would work.

Activated carbon
Activated carbon can be used as a carbon dioxide scrubber. Air with high carbon dioxide content, such as air from fruit storage locations, can be blown through beds of activated carbon and the carbon dioxide will absorb onto the activated carbon. Once the bed is saturated it must then be "regenerated" by blowing low carbon dioxide air, such as ambient air, through the bed. This will release the carbon dioxide from the bed, and it can then be used to scrub again, leaving the net amount of carbon dioxide in the air the same as when the process was started.

Er, I see. Maybe that's £20 I'll keep in my pocket then (or put towards xenon headlights). Then again, its only £20 I guess.

For the cost I would always have it. Means the air in the van stays fresh all night I.e. the oxygen content should not deplete (too much) if your all closed up. That said if you always have the roof up and do not sleep downstairs then it becomes a little more questionable.

Isn't this just about removing smells from air?

When you don't have an external wall for a kitchen extractor fan to vent through you have to recirculate the air back into the room through a carbon filter which is sold as an extra. i have just had to do this in my new kitchen.

My guess would be that this is what the Cali charcoal canister is. Thus to function i suspect that air would need to be forced through it by a fan or by driving the vehicle.

If £20 buys you a device that means you are less likely to die of suffocation at night that truly is a bargain :bananadance

It's an option throughout the range, not just a Cali thing.

Anyone any idea where it is and how to replace it when(if) needed.

Where is this device located? Can anyone please tell me?

I would guess that it goes in place of the pollen filter in the heater box.
Thanks Loz,
You may be right. In my ignorance I've been assuming that it's an additional item on top of the usual pollen filter. I had a quick poke around earlier today but couldn't see anything that looked remotely like a "canister". I am sure it will get replaced when it goes in for it's first full service. It's just that I've noticed it's included amongst the vehicles specification codes in the service book and I am curious as to where it's located.

Thanks Loz,
You may be right. In my ignorance I've been assuming that it's an additional item on top of the usual pollen filter. I had a quick poke around earlier today but couldn't see anything that looked remotely like a "canister". I am sure it will get replaced when it goes in for it's first full service. It's just that I've noticed it's included amongst the vehicles specification codes in the service book and I am curious as to where it's located.
Did you ever find yours?
Checking my "options" suggests that mine had a charcoal canister fitted when new but I can't see anything apart from the normal paper filter in the passenger footwell.

Did you ever find yours?
Checking my "options" suggests that mine had a charcoal canister fitted when new but I can't see anything apart from the normal paper filter in the passenger footwell.
No, never did find it. Apparently our new van has got one so I must as the service bods when it next goes in.

I have an older Calli (2006). The air filter for the passenger compartment comes in paper type or coal type. I always replace this my self. I use the coal type which is little bit more expensive. If you go to a work shop they always use the paper type. In addition to that I always clean the ventilation system to (with CRC Airco Kleen), which ones again workshop does not.
Many cars have also a charcoal canister connected to the breather pipe to the fuel tank. I guess that’s for protecting the environment...

I have an older Calli (2006). The air filter for the passenger compartment comes in paper type or coal type. I always replace this my self. I use the coal type which is little bit more expensive. If you go to a work shop they always use the paper type. In addition to that I always clean the ventilation system to (with CRC Airco Kleen), which ones again workshop does not.
Many cars have also a charcoal canister connected to the breather pipe to the fuel tank. I guess that’s for protecting the environment...
Thanks, I think that explains. Its just a alternative to the paper type, rather than a separate "canister".

Back