Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Charging MY19 Beach leisure battery at home

GraemeP

GraemeP

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Really feel daft asking this, but can I charge my Beach leisure battery at home without buying an adapter for the supplied hook up cable? I’ve had a quick look at getting the battery accessed under the seat to connect a charger but that looks a nightmare. The adapter cable Toolststion have is 250mm long, which would see my extention cable bouncing off the rear quarter panel of the van!

Am I missing something, read the handbook and it’s a bit vague.

Really feel daft asking this, but can I charge my Beach leisure battery at home without buying an adapter for the supplied hook up cable? I’ve had a quick look at getting the battery accessed under the seat to connect a charger but that looks a nightmare. The adapter cable Toolststion have is 250mm long, which would see my extention cable bouncing off the rear quarter panel of the van!

You need one of these.

d584007a5f089a621029aa0505f10392.jpg

Mike

Hi Graeme
You need a three pin U.K. adapter to plug into a hook up cable
The three pin goes into the wall socket, attach your hook up cable and plug in as normal to the van
29EE766B-39F8-4704-85C4-97A32B0CEC45.jpegDB709BF9-23E9-4C74-ACC7-BB0E53DDFBD1.jpeg

You could but everything would be a work around/ compromise.

Simplest way is is as the others have said to spend the £6 or so to get the adapter to add to the hook up cable, then just plug in to a normal household 13amp socket.

If that is what you are trying to avoid then connecting a battery charger to the underseat battery is another (inconvenient) way.

After that a charger to the 12v cigar socket or add solar.

The adapter to hook up is definitely easiest.

We fitted a campsite style socket to the front of our house, makes charging and mowing the lawn etc. easier.

Last edited:
Thanks all - for reference we’re camping tonight and I think the battery is a bit low, and I need the fridge all night. I’m happy to buy what I need to, just tune and what’s locally available. I’ve seen those adapters, but as they’re 3 pin don’t the have to connect into the van external socket? They’ve only got a 250mm cable, so my extention reel would be hanging against the side of the van and putting a fair amount of strain on the connection. Is there not an adapter that can connect to the supplied blue adapter which is 2 pin?

You use the adapter with your existing hook up cable, so no van banging. The supplied hook up cable is next to useless, you need a long one as pictured above.

You use the adapter with your existing hook up cable, so no van banging. The supplied hook up cable is next to useless, you need a long one as pictured above.

cheers - dashing to Toolststion now!!

Didn’t work, the cable that came with my Cali goes to a 2 pin - I’ve bodged this up for now!A23FC87F-D9C7-4669-8269-7870A6B87166.jpeg

The two pin cable is for use on the continent, (old style hook up pillar) it has no use in the UK

Last edited:
Didn’t work, the cable that came with my Cali goes to a 2 pin - I’ve bodged this up for now!View attachment 64497
That cable, supplied with the vehicle, is for Continental use only. You plug that into your normal 25metre mains lead you use on a campsite when abroad if the campsite has not been upgraded to the normal Blue mains electric socket.
For the U.K. you require the adapter mentioned above which is Not supplied by VW on UK vehicles.

I think your misunderstanding
Three pin to wall socket, plug in to hook up cable, plug hook up cable in van

See images below

9E1ED9D6-AF38-43D3-8E8A-66C6BD45375B.jpeg

BD5A65FE-75C7-4C3C-B883-CEBB0A4518B5.jpeg

That cable, supplied with the vehicle, is for Continental use only. You plug that into your normal 25metre mains lead you use on a campsite when abroad if the campsite has not been upgraded to the normal Blue mains electric socket.
For the U.K. you require the adapter mentioned above which is Not supplied by VW on UK vehicles.

ok, so I need a 3 pin cable for Uk hook up as well? I think that’s the main thing I was missing. Along with a comfort mattress for a 3 seat beach, they seem pretty strange omissions from the specification. I’ll grab a 3 pin cable in the week, then I can avoid the precarious set up I’ve got now.

thank you all so much for swift support - hopefully I’ll have cold beers tonight because of you!

ok, so I need a 3 pin cable for Uk hook up as well? I think that’s the main thing I was missing. Along with a comfort mattress for a 3 seat beach, they seem pretty strange omissions from the specification. I’ll grab a 3 pin cable in the week, then I can avoid the precarious set up I’ve got now.

thank you all so much for swift support - hopefully I’ll have cold beers tonight because of you!
Because you mentioned tool station, the image I posted of the three pin adapter was from tool station

Onsite you will not need the three pin adapter, just the hook up cable to plug into the site EHU box

D102AAAF-C235-4CBB-BA1E-6FD9725E1F97.jpeg

Ignore the splitter, (bottom cable) the top cable shows a hook up plugged directly into a typical the EHU supply box onsite

Because you mentioned tool station, the image I posted of the three pin adapter was from tool station

Yeah got you now - 3 pin long cable next on the list - I’ve got enough to get me through this trip - I would have grabbed one if I knew. I’ve had the Beach since last October, and it’s only served as a day van until now- this is our first over night stay.

You are seeing but not looking me thinks, . all will become clear when you get to site

You do not need a “long three pin cable” you need the very short three pin extension cable for home use.

You are seeing but not looking me thinks, . all will become clear when you get to site

You do not need a “long three pin cable” you need the very short three pin extension cable for home use.

Haha - I know what I need, I might not be calling it by the right name, it probably doesn’t needYou to get too upset about it.

“I shall purchase a long electric hook up cable at a suitable juncture, that which will connect my van, to a Uk camp site connection”.

Thank you all for your help, case closed. I’m off to rewire my house.