Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cleaning the roof

For cleaning the front windscreen I usually stand on the tyre. Just make sure you don't have slippery shoes.

For cleaning the front windscreen I usually stand on the tyre. Just make sure you don't have slippery shoes.

Or bald tyres. :)

I do that too to clean the screen when we're out on the road, but I do always feel a bit of an accident waiting to happen.

Or this £25.00. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8246361 View attachment 57712

Bargain.
Used mine for 1st time today, with an extending water fed brush. Roof is clean. For now...….
I've been on the lookout for something like this for a while, for cleaning the roof, for attaching roof topper bungees and for fixing luggage straps around the bike rack. However, by my calculation, I need at least a 60cm lift. Am I just a short a*se with short arms? (don't answer that).
I have also noticed that the most important information,i.e. the step height, seems to be missing in a lot of adverts.

I'm also one of those lazy (and old) buggers, I’m in the school of “if I can’t see it, it don’t need cleaning” which includes sitting in the van looking out, unless it’s something useful ie the solar panels.

And paying someone to clean it... not gonna happen, as my only sponsor is The Dept of W&P, that £15 would get me 100km down the road as soon as this apocalypse is over.

My initial and post previous post was to show the type of platform, there are many different types And dimensions available.
I have a wickes platform, about £23, the dimensions are 490mm working platform height x 300mm wide x approx 1m (measured between the splayed feet) the platform length is 710mm long, load capcity is 150kg

I've been on the lookout for something like this for a while, for cleaning the roof, for attaching roof topper bungees and for fixing luggage straps around the bike rack. However, by my calculation, I need at least a 60cm lift. Am I just a short a*se with short arms? (don't answer that).
I have also noticed that the most important information,i.e. the step height, seems to be missing in a lot of adverts.
From the Argos web site
02804F9F-77C6-4CA2-ABD0-8CA0EB3F0E2F.png

From the Argos web site
View attachment 57759
The information on the Argos site clearly states that the maximum step height is 50cm, so no problem there.
I am looking for something higher and my point was that among the many different types and dimensions available, often the maximum step height is omitted, as is the material of construction. I'm in no hurry to acquire one at present so no doubt I will find the right one eventually.

The information on the Argos site clearly states that the maximum step height is 50cm, so no problem there

I have the Toolstation one. I am 5'10" and cannot reach the middle of the roof.
I was thinking of using a new 4"x4" fence post to raise it up

The information on the Argos site clearly states that the maximum step height is 50cm, so no problem there.
I am looking for something higher and my point was that among the many different types and dimensions available, often the maximum step height is omitted, as is the material of construction. I'm in no hurry to acquire one at present so no doubt I will find the right one eventually.
Your welcome !

I can see it being of use if you had 4 doors, but with the California it would only fit on the 2 cabin doors, so you could reach the front half of the roof but not the rear half.
I have used the original Australian model for some time and it is fine for just quickly reaching up for pulling the isotop or similar but unsafe for standing on too long. No way would I use the thing for getting up to clean the roof.

When we are cleaning the van we raise the roof to clean along the channels.. lots of ‘crud’. We noticed at the front where joining the passenger edge it seems to be gathering as wet muddy crud in the front channel.When we looked up at the pop top you can see the section of metal that will come down on top of this point has a ‘join’ in the metal strip. It also looked gritty (as if could rust) Has anyone else noticed this ?
And as relative ‘newbies’ can we partly lower roof and thus be able to clean this section?
Thanks ( hope my ramblings make sense !)

When we are cleaning the van we raise the roof to clean along the channels.. lots of ‘crud’. We noticed at the front where joining the passenger edge it seems to be gathering as wet muddy crud in the front channel.When we looked up at the pop top you can see the section of metal that will come down on top of this point has a ‘join’ in the metal strip. It also looked gritty (as if could rust) Has anyone else noticed this ?
And as relative ‘newbies’ can we partly lower roof and thus be able to clean this section?
Yes, you can part raise/lower the roof. Most of the dirt collects when camping rather than driving.

Thanks, my husband thought we could do this but I was unsure

Lightweight and easily transportable?
:D No, it stays at home, I don't clean the roof whilst away. It sits in the utility room under the ironing and lonely sock pile. I use it round the house and garden for all sorts.

If you have a hydraulic roof, you can easily do that. With a manual roof, it is a bit harder, as the roof will open completely if pushed too high, and fall back down if not lifted high enough.
Another vote for the hydraulic roof then?

If you have a hydraulic roof, you can easily do that. With a manual roof, it is a bit harder, as the roof will open completely if pushed too high, and fall back down if not lifted high enough.
Another vote for the hydraulic roof then?
Not quite the case TB, a manual roof can be opened up partially, no problem at all :cheers

Well followed your advise and got all that crud out of the ‘roof channels’ and semi drop got the rest of the metal strapping ( not techi name I know). We gave BB a real special clean yesterday, hubby held the ladders and I took a toothbrush to those difficult to get at wee bits on the roof channels !
Dog looked on in bemusement no doubt thinking “let me in there so I can mess up with hair everywhere again!” And this is the end of our last trip ... no doubt where most of that sand and dirt all came from !!!7F02AB4D-2DDD-4151-906B-628F6F1355B7.jpeg