Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cobb or Cadac?

K

keacal2705

I expect this has been discussed before but both seem really good from reviews.

The cadac seems bigger but someone said a faff to clean. The cobb is smaller but easier to clean.

Any thooughts?

Hi Lee, We have both, but use the Cobb all the time now, running costs are a bit more expensive but it is so nice and compact and the instant heat you get with them is a real bonus.

I just read that back Lee and it does sound like a bit of a tosser thing to say :doh

We used to have the Cadac in our old motorhome as all motorhomers used to rave on about them, we then bought the Cali and all Cali owners raved on about the Cobb ... Lorraine also tells me the Cobb is a pain to clean awell !

I don't follow the crowd ... honest :crazy

Haha , now I didnt read it like that, I was just jealous that I didnt know which one to have but you had solved it by having both! :lol:

I read it was the cadac that was a pain to clean, now I really am confused which one to get :headwall

The Cadac needs a gas supply which means.... Carrying more kit. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

The Cobb works very well for us.

Quite correct Mark, we have the Safari Chef http://www.cadac.co.za/products/product.php?pid=81 and you can get a Camping Gaz regulator/adapter but like you say more kit to carry as you also need some extra hose aswell . They are both really good units and virtually the same size when packed away but we now only ever use the Cobb even at home.

We have a Cadac from our caravanning days but only use it at home now. For us Cobb & Trangia is the perfect combination. To be honest now I think about it I can't actually remember the last time we used the Cadac at all. The Cobb is so good we tend to fetch that out of the Cali and use that at home also.

Has anyone used wood chips with their Cobb to try and get more of a BBQ flavour?

Pigeons/Cat!!
We have used Cadacs for a good few years. We are on our third but that is now just used for the paella pan and we keep it at out static. We had planned to get Cadac number 4, but like the idea behind the Cobb!

Yes further to Martin's query, do Cobbs provide a BBQ flavour? If not, I think we will be buying a Weber Smokey Joe. For use on our small patio and to take in the Cali.

Martin said:
Has anyone used wood chips with their Cobb to try and get more of a BBQ flavour?
have only had chance to use our Cobb a couple of times and it's great. Got some of the smoking chips from the Cobb website and we like them. Cleaning is not too bad , I just think you need to get some water in it while you are eating to soften all the mess up.

a newbie just gate crashing the topic.......

i wanted a cob and they do look great and know others that have them.. i haven't until today heard of a cadac ... :doh
i still may get a cob ,due to size and varied cooking types on it ,but i have got an outback U-BBQ compact great for camping and uses the canister gas and lasts for ages ...it's about ÂŁ35-40 in a case.. maybe worth a look :grin:

easy to clean and grill can be cleaned later in the dishwasher. i grill ,boil bbq on it .
currently running ( or not) a 71 westfalia ,but on my way to being converted back to water-cooled after i had 2 T25's

lee

Tattooz said:
have only had chance to use our Cobb a couple of times and it's great. Got some of the smoking chips from the Cobb website and we like them.

How do the smoke chips work Tattooz? - do you have to have the smoking pot? - or can you put the chips in the trough or the charcoal cradle?

The lack of bbq aroma is the only beef I have with the Cobb, otherwise it is a great bit of kit

GrahamBland said:
Tattooz said:
have only had chance to use our Cobb a couple of times and it's great. Got some of the smoking chips from the Cobb website and we like them.

How do the smoke chips work Tattooz? - do you have to have the smoking pot? - or can you put the chips in the trough or the charcoal cradle?

The lack of bbq aroma is the only beef I have with the Cobb, otherwise it is a great bit of kit

I do have the smoke pot but havent used it yet I have used the other method of putting the chips into a pouch made out of foil then piercing a hole in the foil and plcing on top of the coals.

GrahamBland said:
Tattooz said:

When you say the only beef... Do you not cook any other meats?

:) :)

James

have used various bbqs and have had a cobb for past four years the cobb is excellent for instant
heat(ready to go in 5 mins) is good for burgers and bbq but does't give you that bbq/smoky flavour I like with steak also it is a grease trap which requires lots of cleaning, am off to France this year and have invested in a halogen oven for general cooking but will cook steak etc. with a skillet on a
normal camping gas burner(only one pan to clean) and the flavour is superior.

I have a cobb on ebay item number 221045122472 if anyone is interested. Good piece of kit with accesories and carry bag. I have 2 so selling one of them. This is the premier kit with added crepe pan and griddle for steaks. Included is 5 cobblestone fuel blocks developed especially for the cobb as well as the recipe book and manual.

Cobb.JPG Cobb book.jpg

We bought the Cobb - Have used it on numerous occasions on trips to the beach on the Isle of Man - Very good for Sausage and Bacon Baps - Especially when the daughters turn up after a heavy session out. We bought it because you can do various cooking on it - Stir Fry/Whole joints like a Chicken/Grilled Steaks, etc/Fish...... So far happy and not had a problem cleaning it. :D