Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cadac Safari Chef 2 HP - Brilliant BBQ

G

gatvol

We had always struggled to find a decent compact bbq, until now.

Anything with coals is messy, takes time to heat up and may be banned at French campsites. The Cobb has fans, but is too messy and hard to clean imho.

For about 6 years we struggled on with a campingaz partygrill. But this simply did not get hot enough, had no lid and took ages to cook food on due to its poor design. There is a newer version now, but it did not match up to the Cadac.

https://www.leisureoutlet.com/barbeques/outdoor-cooking/camping-and-outdoors/102293-cadac-safari-chef-2-high-pressure-gas-barbecue?gclid=CjwKCAjwsJ3ZBRBJEiwAtuvtlAb77PWC0PpIHMO2_Qn3bB8MPAjDqPLfz-WenUgz8ly8_U-DcBQs9xoCElsQAvD_BwE

The Cadac is faultless. It packs into a neat bag that is supplied with it. The gas heats a central disc in the griddle that means it gets hot enough and cooks evenly across the grill. The lid then gives the food a nice smokey flavour and greatly accelerates cooking time. It cooks in less than half the time of the partygrill.

It is non stick. It has a griddle to created charred lines on meat and also has a flat pan as well. It is easy to clean and only needs a sponge and washing up liquid.

The HP model (high pressure) is designed to have coleman screw thread cartridges attached directly to it so there is no need for a regulator or bulky cylinder. There is a LP version (low pressure) available too if you want to use it with the big gas cylinder inside your california.

Coleman cylinders are not as readily available in Europe as the campingaz click ones, but you can buy a small adaptor that converts click into the screw thread.

https://m.addnature.co.uk/244004.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwsJ3ZBRBJEiwAtuvtlH0n0pC-N4n_AKRYcQ0XzT0SRBbaeiz2knlIs99WljIEgf6XyuOMBRoCoIgQAvD_BwE&_cid=21_1_-1_9_1488_244004_213672436444_pla&ef_id=WFBrTwAAATGcjRLt:20180618073526:s

Last edited:
johnyboy

johnyboy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I'm always whipping mine out - I use it more than the built in hobs!

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Cadac is a great bit of kit. I would recommend the LP version, reason for that is that it can be used LP with big bottles and with an adapter with the HP cans too. Best of both worlds :)

Alibee

Alibee

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
They're great but our HP version goes from nothing-to-furnace in approximately 1mm of adjustment!

Great for slow grilling and making stews with.

LisaM

LisaM

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I bought one last week - the HP version. Can’t wait to try it out! It’s really great how compact it is :thumb

sapto

sapto

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Love mine, old version but as said above: just a great bbq!

Last edited:
CannellWalker

CannellWalker

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Just got a LP version and looking forward to using it. Figured it would useful in the South of France where you’re not allowed a traditional BBQ and want to cook outside.

Volkywagen

Volkywagen

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Does Anyone know if the griddle pans are dishwasher safe? Always had trouble getting mine properly clean

sapto

sapto

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
MattBell

MattBell

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I was swaying towards the new party grill 400 has anyone got experience of using both? (The latest versions). Thanks

FoodieLoobie

FoodieLoobie

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Does Anyone know if the griddle pans are dishwasher safe? Always had trouble getting mine properly clean
I have put ours in the dishwasher but it was too big to go in sideways like a plate and had to be put in flat. I do have to say that it wasn’t really all that successful, I can get it cleaner in the sink using a pan scrub. If it has a lot of burnt on mess I soak it in the sink with really hot water and about a tablespoon of biological washing powder for about half an hour before I start scrubbing. It really does help. Obviously I only do this at home!

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Disaster with mine this weekend. New Hp adapter had a leak and melted the bottom of the cadac wrecking it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Thanks, yes no-one hurt or harmed just our pride :)

The cadac started smoking after about 30 seconds, which seemed out of character, so I looked underneath to see flames coming out of the pipe. Turned off gas immediately but the plastic melted and continued to burn for a little while. As you can see it then fell apart. :(

Sad as I loved the cadac, I've also written to Cadac to ask about any resolution as the HP adapter was brand new and the pipe must have been split from new. I am hoping they sort it but if not I believe you can just buy a burner on it's own.

HTML