Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cobb or Small gas BBQ?

Padraic

Padraic

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi all, so as we are here in the uk I’d like to purchase some gear for the Cali. Better choice of stock over here.
I want to get a unit for cooking outside, and I pretty much had decided on a cobb. But I believe that some campsites don’t allow charcoal BBQ’s.
So perhaps a small gas grill might be better.
What does everyone else use?

Hi all, so as we are here in the uk I’d like to purchase some gear for the Cali. Better choice of stock over here.
I want to get a unit for cooking outside, and I pretty much had decided on a cobb. But I believe that some campsites don’t allow charcoal BBQ’s.
So perhaps a small gas grill might be better.
What does everyone else use?

Cadac Safari Chef is our outdoor cooker of choice. It’s on version 2 now. Plenty of users on here with opinions I would think. Quite an adaptable piece of kit, uses the same gas as the camper and packs down pretty small too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with Charcoal is waiting for the coals to cool down to empty and pack away.
I now only use charcoal BBQs at home.

The COBB does great food, but I got sick of having to clean it down after every use.

I now pack a Weber go anywhere gas BBQ and an Alpkit brudog or something for cooking.
The Weber never gets cleaned and is much simpler for the BBQ stuff

The Cobb does give you a lot of flexibility. We have one & our friends @Borris also have one so we are able to experiment. First course in one, pudding in the other. We have had some fabulous meals.
They take just 9 charcoal briquettes and can cook a whole chicken. They problem is that you must be organised and plan for the meal in a couple of hours, but the outside of the Cobb remains cool and there is no risk of fire. There is a small version of it which occupies less space in the van. To be able to roast potatoes and so on is great. You just light it, leave the briquettes to go white and then leave it alone. The briquettes just burn away to a powdery ash. Lots of recipes and videos on YouTube.

Cadac Safari Chef. Had ours for years, a brilliant bit of kit for 2 (although we have cooked for more). I have looked to change it but it still looks good, cooks well and I don’t think there’s anything better out there apart from the new model. About £100.

cadac safari chef here too. I even managed to cook a pizza in it the other night without burning it. also great for the bacon and eggs on the hot plate in a morning. use mine all the time.

Cadac Safari, we use ours more than the hob

Like the look of the safari.
My friend raves about his. I’ve read the LP version is the one to go for...?

Anyone run one off their main gas (Ocean) bottle.

Cobb does great food you can cook anything on it and the coals just burn out to leave ash so easy to empty. There is also a gas version available.

The only problem that we have come across with the Cobb is the special Cobb fuel briquette inserts. We recieved some of these when we purchased our Cobb. They are fine as long as you use them quickly. If kept for any length of time they become impossible to light.

As for the Cobb as a cooker, it does take a bit of getting used to but persevere as it cooks a mean meal when you've got the hang of it. The main things to remember are to let the burning charcoal go grey before cooking and to allow at least 50% more time than the item would normally take on a conventional cooker. Spend the time sampling fine wines whilst your meal is cooking.

So far we haven't had any total disasters. The nearest we got to that was when we attempted a full lamb roast dinner on Dover cliffs in November. The meal was beautifully cooked but cold by the time it was carved and served. That was more to do with where we were and the weather conditions than the Cobb. Memorable successes include a great Gammon joint and a sublime bread and butter pudding.

Once you've started cooking don't keep taking the lid off to check the food. Just leave it well alone otherwise you'll just let the heat out and retard the cooking process.

Last edited:
Cadac Safari Chef for us, can't recommend it highly enough. Fantastic bit of kit. It is small though, so really only for 2 people.

We're on the mk2 version now, having owned the mk1 for over 10 years. We changed if for the sake of it really, as there was nothing wrong with it at all. Paid (I think) about £90 for it at Camper Jam last year, and sold the original on Ebay for £60!!

It’s the Cobb for us and we have a couple of accessories, including the excellent wok and pizza stone. It’s extremely easy to clean, not least as everything goes in the dishwasher when you get home. A big plus for us is that it takes up minimal space, with no need to carry a gas cylinder. You don’t have to use Cobb charcoal - normal briquettes work too. Also, it sits happily on a table as it’s designed to be cool on the bottom.

Like the look of the safari.
My friend raves about his. I’ve read the LP version is the one to go for...?

Anyone run one off their main gas (Ocean) bottle.
mines lp low pressure. the 907 gas bottle lasts for ever. bought 1 off eBay 3 quarts full and cooked loads of times. used it everyday for 2 week recently and still lots of gas left. I didn't know they did a high pressure version?

I use it on the patio at home instead of lighting the big BBQ

mines lp low pressure. the 907 gas bottle lasts for ever. bought 1 off eBay 3 quarts full and cooked loads of times. used it everyday for 2 week recently and still lots of gas left. I didn't know they did a high pressure version?
Hi,
I think I will settle with the safari chef 2.
2 questions tough:
1)What are the dimensions of it folded? I only see one size on their site and I guess it's the dimension when it's opened?
2) More important: What did you had to buy to make a R907 fit? I'm a bit afraid of not ordering the correct version(I've HP, LP 30mbar, LP 50mbar) and I guess I've to buy also some tube and gaz adapter?

Hi,
I think I will settle with the safari chef 2.
2 questions tough:
1)What are the dimensions of it folded? I only see one size on their site and I guess it's the dimension when it's opened?
2) More important: What did you had to buy to make a R907 fit? I'm a bit afraid of not ordering the correct version(I've HP, LP 30mbar, LP 50mbar) and I guess I've to buy also some tube and gaz adapter?
It will fit your 907 bottle right out of the bag. You need a different regulator to use the small en417 cans as well

IMG_20200601_132852.jpg

IMG_20200601_133016.jpg

I have an OutdoorChef City with the optional cast iron grill plate, and with a campingaz regulator so I can utilise my spare 907 rather than lugging around a separate calor gas canister too... the setup works a treat.

It will fit your 907 bottle right out of the bag. You need a different regulator to use the small en417 cans as well, and on the pictures of the different shop I found, it doesn't have the orange pipe and regulator.

View attachment 60211

View attachment 60212
Really? On their website they say we have to buy a gaz regulator, and I don't see the orange pipe and regulator on the pictures of the shop I found here(switzerland).

Also here: https://www.leisureoutlet.com/carav...cadac-safari-chef-2-low-pressure-gas-barbecue
There is a video from cadac that indicate that you have to buy a regulator :/. a bit lost with all those gaz norms.

Try to get Safari pro as it has a snap on attachment for the hose - lot more convenient and makes storage easier !

Do you know what I should look for when ordering such regulator?
Depends on what gas bottle you are going to use, eg if you going to use camping gaz 907 bottle etc, just google camping gaz 907 regulators

Depends on what gas bottle you are going to use, eg if you going to use camping gaz 907 bottle etc, just google camping gaz 907 regulators
Yeah but by example, I know there is a small adapter to mount on those bottle, is this part of the regulator or an extra?

On the 907 the regulator screws straight on to the gas bottle

Back