Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Comfort insurance

Has anyone added unlimited mileage mid-term? Just wondering what the extra cost would be as my miles seem to be mounting up very fast this year

I think it was about £20 for the whole year from new and you'd probably get humped for a change Admin Fee.

Cheers Stu, even with an admin fee that's far less than I was expecting actually.

I upped mine from 8K to unlimited back in march before my trip to Portugal cost was in the region of £40 with admin fee if I remember correctly.

£15 admin charge they say .....

So is there any proof of a cat 1 on the Cali .. They didn't say they wanted any ,but if it didn't and something happened then cover is void anyway

Just tried to get a quote from Comfort - and they won't insure if vehicle is parked on the road over night :sad

nickandemma said:
Just tried to get a quote from Comfort - and they won't insure if vehicle is parked on the road over night :sad

That is sad :-( .... I think it also depends on postcode as well as mine it wasn't going to make any real difference

choplee said:
nickandemma said:

That is sad :-( .... I think it also depends on postcode as well as mine it wasn't going to make any real difference

I agree with Lee - it is likely to be down to post code - I had no problems getting insurance from Comfort, and my Cali is parked on the road.

swigle said:
choplee said:
nickandemma said:

I agree with Lee - it is likely to be down to post code - I had no problems getting insurance from Comfort, and my Cali is parked on the road.

I live on an unodopted road and it's not a through route to anywhere and the only time anyone parks outside mine if they have a party as there's not many houses on this road ... I suppose if your in a city or burbs bumper to bumper on a small street then it may make a difference or in a higher car crime area

choplee said:
I live on an unodopted road and it's not a through route to anywhere and the only time anyone parks outside mine if they have a party as there's not many houses on this road ... I suppose if your in a city or burbs bumper to bumper on a small street then it may make a difference or in a higher car crime area

I'm definitely urban (Leicester), on a one-way street of terraced houses, cars parked both sides, with only just enough space to get a car down it - lots of cars mount the pavement (never used to before the Cali, but I've joined in now - apologies to mums with prams and wheelchair users!). And I'm definitely not going to claim it is one of the better areas of this fine city ...

I've lost 3 wing mirrors over the years (hence one must-have was the folding wing mirrors).

I park on a different street on a Friday (bin day!), or get out before 07:00 when refuse truck trundles down the street, leaving wing mirrors in its trail ...

I'm chairman of the Kentish v-dub klub and alot of my members are using 2 gether, Lancaster or Glynwoods .. If u want more details pm me as we get discounts from alot of companies

This has come up before and I would remind those of you who have the fortune (questionable, I have to agree!?) to be over 50, that I find Saga Campervan insurance impossible to beat on price and quality. I like to talk to someone rather than just doing it on-line. I ask for any discounts the agent might have up his/her sleeve and always manage to lower the initial renewal. eg. this year, renewal notice price £205.99. 20 minutes later, and asking her to go and see if her supervisor really wants to keep my business, a bit of banter about never going over 45 mph, promising to let my wife do most of the driving etc and..bingo!..just renewed at £154.35! And that despite their renewal notice invitation telling me all about the sad news that they were having to increase premiums again. Cobblers! They rely on the majority of us simply rolling over, sighing sadly about the rising cost of motor insurance and then paying the asking price.
Good luck.
Tony

Had my renewal from Comfort today - price was nigh on identical to last year at £229 so have renewed despite the scare stories on here!

I am doing the annual search of insurance renewal prices for my California and Comfort state that their underwriters will not accept that our vans have a Thatcham cat 1 system fitted.

I rang VW customer service and a member of staff called Lloyd pointed me to the Thatcham website.

I went to the Thatcham website and found this link which shows the group rating as T1.

Here is the link:

http://www.thatcham.org

Click on group rating, then when that page is showing, go to the right of the screen and select manufacturer and type in model and year, complete the security question and then it will list your mode confirming the category status.

Apologies for the long winded route above but this covers all Californias back to 2005 and the new Beach models.

I will be taking this up with Comfort when my renewal comes round. It is strange that as the policy is underwritten by Aviva that they do not know this.

I have also rung Thatcham and they confirm this and quote a reference number of TC2/1208/0301

We just insured with Comfort - including Business use (didn't ask for it) and RAC breakdown/recovery/homestart and repatriation - it was just £297. 8,000 miles per year (won't need that I suspect), parked outside on our drive. £240 without RAC.

One of us had 3 points.

Very pleased with the price and service - did it by phone.

Ian

i take they did not query the Thatcham category. When I get my renewal i am thinking of asking for 5% refund for the 2 previous years i have insured with them!

I renewed with Comfort recently - they've never asked me for alarm info either last year or this, only £240 pretty much the same as last year.

drmw1335 said:
i take they did not query the Thatcham category. When I get my renewal i am thinking of asking for 5% refund for the 2 previous years i have insured with them!

They did ask, and I stated Thatcham Cat 1 and it's noted on the docs. (btw, thanks for your post above on this)

Also, reversing sensors noted too, stating a discount given for both!

Ian

I'm having a problem getting past the vehicle identification stage.
Comfort have quoted me £398, parking in the street in Clifton, Bristol. I have tried both Saga and now Direct line and seemingly they have 140 bhp's listed and 180's but not 130's.
As I write I'm speaking with Direct line and it seems like they are happy to quote so I'll let you know.
They are bringing up the claims issue.
I have been previously insured with Direct line for the past 10 years and have a full no claims record but they are making an issue of the fact that Comfort don't operate on a no claims basis.
Anyway, they have just given me a quote of £508 with a £450 excess but do not cover any fixtures and fittings so if someone smashes into the side of the vehicle they will not cover the fittings so that's not much use!

tonycosgrove said:
This has come up before and I would remind those of you who have the fortune (questionable, I have to agree!?) to be over 50, that I find Saga Campervan insurance impossible to beat on price and quality. I like to talk to someone rather than just doing it on-line. I ask for any discounts the agent might have up his/her sleeve and always manage to lower the initial renewal. eg. this year, renewal notice price £205.99. 20 minutes later, and asking her to go and see if her supervisor really wants to keep my business, a bit of banter about never going over 45 mph, promising to let my wife do most of the driving etc and..bingo!..just renewed at £154.35! And that despite their renewal notice invitation telling me all about the sad news that they were having to increase premiums again. Cobblers! They rely on the majority of us simply rolling over, sighing sadly about the rising cost of motor insurance and then paying the asking price.
Good luck.
Tony

Just tried Saga.
They won't insure if you drive the vehicle to your place of work, which I rarely do but there you go.

I tried saga and they want £550! and thats no accidents claims etc. :shocked

There is a potential problem using Comfort if you want to change insurers. This is probably only relevant to those who use their Cali as their only vehicular mode of transport.
Saga told me today that they would not accept a full no claims bonus because it had lapsed 1 year. They then apologised and told me they would acknowledge it for 2 years but no longer than that.
At that stage, should you wish to use their insurance you would start again at scratch.
I'm not sure about other insurers but Direct line were kicking up too and I've spent the last 15 years protecting my NCB through their polocies!

NCB discounts last for two years unused. That is an industry standard.

Join the Caravanning & Camping club & try their insurance. They accept NCB & do not have the away from vehicle limitation that Comfort have. I insured with them this year & was slightly more than Comfort renewal, but as I have 9 years NCB which I wanted to keep I went with them. It is a camper van policy & covers kitchen etc.