Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Conker tree

JimP1992

JimP1992

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi,

We have a conker tree which annoyingly overhangs on our drive. Although I'd take great pleasure in poisoning or chopping it down, unfortunately it is our neighbours and has a TPO.
During late September/October, the conkers begin to fall and have historically left dints on the roof of our cars.
We don't want the same to happen to our beloved Cali, so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a suitable protective cover? We've seen a few with 'four layer protection', although I can imagine the layers are thin - do you think one of these covers will provide adequate protection? Anyone have any recommendations?
I want to avoid leaving the van on the road if possible and we don't have a garage!

Thanks in advance!

James & Nikita

Pair of roofbars and leave sheet of plywood on them? No need to remove when using the van etc.

Actually using the T tracks you could fit the ply without the bars. Look at the threads for fixing solar panels - same principle.

Hi,

We have a conker tree which annoyingly overhangs on our drive. Although I'd take great pleasure in poisoning or chopping it down, unfortunately it is our neighbours and has a TPO.
During late September/October, the conkers begin to fall and have historically left dints on the roof of our cars.
We don't want the same to happen to our beloved Cali, so I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a suitable protective cover? We've seen a few with 'four layer protection', although I can imagine the layers are thin - do you think one of these covers will provide adequate protection? Anyone have any recommendations?
I want to avoid leaving the van on the road if possible and we don't have a garage!

Thanks in advance!

James & Nikita
Car Port?

Surely if the conker tree branches are overhanging your drive/garden, you are permitted to cut it back to the boundary and return the offcuts to your neighbours property. It probably won’t endear you to the neighbour but it would prevent the dents. Assuming the pruning won’t adversely affect the tree. This has to be one of the most common type of neighbour disputes.

Surely if the conker tree branches are overhanging your drive/garden, you are permitted to cut it back to the boundary and return the offcuts to your neighbours property. It probably won’t endear you to the neighbour but it would prevent the dents. Assuming the pruning won’t adversely affect the tree. This has to be one of the most common type of neighbour disputes.
If it’s got a TPO ( tree protection order) on it you can do what you like to it but expect a fine in the region of £10,000.00 for even trimming it.
I have spent years trying get a TPO’d tree adjacent to my parents house cut back, we have to get written permission and are allowed to reduce it by a third, it takes about 2 years each time to get the relevant permission in place. That tree is owned by highways.

If the tree is destroyed their is no limit to the fine & if it increases the value of your property by destroying the tree you can be subject to a proceeds of crime prosecution, whereby you have to pay back to the court the increase in value of your property.

TPOs are a nightmare!

Last edited:
You have a common law right to cut back anything overhanging your boundary, TPO notwithstanding. You must not however do any damage to the tree or intentionally kill or fell it. Any work you do undertake, you should notify your local council.
No, you have no right to do anything to a tree with a TPO.
You don’t notify the council about work you have done, you seek permission first through the planning portal, the process is almost identical to getting planning permission.
Generally the only exemption is if there is an immediate safety risk.

Sorry Jim, looks like you’ve got a problem. You can’t even donate the conkers to the local school anymore. Health and safety issues.

A tree Surgeon can request work to be carried out to a TPO tree. In that instance the Local authority tree officer agrees the work to be carried out in advance with the tree surgeon whom will carry out the work. The process can be very short and does not involve planning as it is agreed by the Tree officer in advance. (The potential enforcers of any action)
The key bit is using a reputable tree surgeon to carry out the work, they will (should ) be known to the LA tree officer, who will have confidence in their work as they are qualified and can be trusted to carry out the work agreed by the tree officer, whom will (can) simply agree to the work. The tree surgeon will deal with all permissions after talking to the LA tree officer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A tree Surgeon can request work to be carried out to a TPO tree. In that instance the Local authority tree officer agrees the work to be carried out in advance with the tree surgeon whom will carry out the work. The process can be very short and does not involve planning as it is agreed by the Tree officer in advance. (The potential enforcers of any action)
The key bit is using a reputable tree surgeon to carry out the work, they will (should ) be known to the LA tree officer, who will have confidence in their work as they are qualified and can be trusted to carry out the work agreed by the tree officer, whom will (can) simply agree to the work. The tree surgeon will deal with all permissions after talking to the LA tree officer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We’ve had it cut back before (back in 2018), however they can only cut it back a certain %, which unfortunately still subjects the cars to getting dings.

Pair of roofbars and leave sheet of plywood on them? No need to remove when using the van etc.
This sounds like the most viable option! We have a set of Thule roof bars on the car which I’ll switch over to the Cali (assuming I can find the damn keys!). I’m also going to fit a bonnet bra for when the van is stationary, as the bonnet is most at risk against projectiles including conkers and bird poo. :rage

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.

Get some legal advice (@Velma's Dad ?) laws of nuisance/trespass might apply? For some reason, Ryeland vs Fletcher springs to mind?

Doubt this could be a serious solution. But who knows.

auto-Lanmodo-car-tent.jpg

4-seasons-car-tent.jpg

You can even use it on the beach (not the cali but the actual beach with sand..)
car-shade-tent.jpg

This sounds like the most viable option! We have a set of Thule roof bars on the car which I’ll switch over to the Cali (assuming I can find the damn keys!). I’m also going to fit a bonnet bra for when the van is stationary, as the bonnet is most at risk against projectiles including conkers and bird poo. :rage

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions.
I wasn’t joking, my parents do it with one of their cars for 2 months of the year. At 80+ years they can’t be doing with pulling covers on and off every time they need to go to the shops.
Sometimes the simple solutions are best!

I wasn’t joking, my parents do it with one of their cars for 2 months of the year. At 80+ years they can’t be doing with pulling covers on and off every time they need to go to the shops.
Sometimes the simple solutions are best!
1629287749897.png

... and along with that - rather than just a ply ... get the neighbouring kids to make it jazzy as well. :thumb

My cousin lives in Colorado Springs where they suffer huge hailstones. He uses a cover (sorry not sure which one), here’s a site that might help?

2C4220EC-E1FA-4AAE-9B69-19415DBDD52B.png

Surely you could build an open sided car port…?
Some great designs around these days.

Last edited:
agree, make a car port. It would protect the van from the elements too.

it's absurd with the climate crisis to cut down a mature tree for the sake of a motor vehicle burning fossil fuel

Could you put net on the tree branches that overhang? Like they do with olive trees to catch the olives in the med.

Could you put net on the tree branches that overhang? Like they do with olive trees to catch the olives in the med.
Good idea. Maybe a permanent aluminium fruit cage structure with net across the top only at conker drop.