Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recent real market values? Ie sales

yup.... and i am not wanting to be negative on members directly... but the most recent california posted here is very similar (year/miles) to the one the OP here quoted from auatotrader (below) but the private ad here is 4.5K more........

I know it seems negative, so I’m also reluctant, but if people really want to sell some candid feedback on prices could be useful.

What I’d like to know is whether there really are buyers out there who don’t carefully comparison shop, and so are willing to pay thousands more than they need to. Maybe, I really don’t know.

i guess if buyer and seller are happy......... all good. I tend to research stuff before i part with my hard earned.

i just want to pay a fare price for the current market....

Given the market has turned... and been turning i guess over the past 6-12 months particularly, many private folk advertising either base it off what they paid.. or look at other private ads maybe..

I'm waiting on a video of one of the vans with a dealer currently... sounds scarily ideal !! albeit a few grand over what i originally wanted to spend... but its a T6 and has every single option i believe id want/spec.

Dealers have to keep shifting stock so will price to the current retail climate. A lot of private sales are often one owner from new etc, etc so there is an element of not wanting to give it away pricewise at times.
I will say some of the best used vehicles I have seen were privately owned whereas some of the worst were at VW dealerships.

I think part of it is a lot of people bought Calis in more recent years because they expected them to retain value. Now it’s time to cash in they’re expecting not to lose much. Pair that with a whole load of over priced private listings and it’s easy to make slyiurself believe that higher prices are the going rate. Essentially confirmation bias.

I know it seems negative, so I’m also reluctant, but if people really want to sell some candid feedback on prices could be useful.
Like the good old 'wild west' days on the early forum.....each add was like a normal post and everyone used to comment...good and bad

What I’d like to know is whether there really are buyers out there who don’t carefully comparison shop, and so are willing to pay thousands more than they need to. Maybe, I really don’t know.
Had this on a ID Buzz forum where someone put his first edition up for 66k... when the same car could be had for circa 47k from dealer. When this was pointed out he defended by saying if it doesn't sell than so be it......so ignore and move on

Had this on a ID Buzz forum where someone put his first edition up for 66k... when the same car could be had for circa 47k from dealer. When this was pointed out he defended by saying if it doesn't sell than so be it......so ignore and move on
It’s useful information though for potential buyers. Moreover while I’m sympathetic to sellers wanting to maximize their return, there’s a point where you’re really just hoping to dupe someone, or take advantage of their ignorance, and it’s hard to complain if someone points out your price is unrealistic.

Personally I suspect what’s happening is would-be sellers list at the average price they see online, even though (for identical
products ) it’s the lowest priced ones that sell.

It’s useful information though for potential buyers. Moreover while I’m sympathetic to sellers wanting to maximize their return, there’s a point where you’re really just hoping to dupe someone, or take advantage of their ignorance, and it’s hard to complain if someone points out your price is unrealistic.

Personally I suspect what’s happening is would-be sellers list at the average price they see online, even though (for identical
products ) it’s the lowest priced ones that sell.
Mileage, spec, condition can vary wildly even though they look the same and are 10k difference. Keep your search to your max budget and compare, it's a flooded buyers market for Calis. This oversupply won't last forever though as new model comes online. Hard to say at the moment if the MV Cali will be a success. Previous models may or may not become more desirable.

Yes, I think it’s quite difficult to compare used Calis one only sees online. That’s why my main benchmark for complaining about asking prices are used calis with a lower spec, but the same or higher price than you can buy brand new, unregistered from a dealer.

I also use the new unregistered price and work off it. Eg if a new Cali is £66k with wood floor, shower, towbar, 5 year warrant, etc., then no way is a 7 year old cali with less of a spec worth just £15k less (to my mind).

I feel like one can make these judgements even if we assume the best case scenario for the used vans in terms of condition, how well they have been cared for, etc.

Just to throw in a bit of bias,
When I hired a Cali in 2016 it was DSG and what a great time we had so I came away hoping to buy and the hire company were selling the previous stock but only had manual gearboxes left. I tried one out and it was horrible in comparison. All that work you had to put in and the lack of smoothness in the cabin owing to each clutch dip.
Needless to say, I ended up with a 150PS DSG T6 based on the 2 vastly different experiences.

When I hired a Cali in 2016 it was DSG and what a great time we had so I came away hoping to buy and the hire company were selling the previous stock but only had manual gearboxes left. I tried one out and it was horrible in comparison. All that work you had to put in and the lack of smoothness in the cabin owing to each clutch dip.
Needless to say, I ended up with a 150PS DSG T6 based on the 2 vastly different experiences.

thanks...... i had started to look at 5.1 manual Oceans... as thats what i was happy to spend.... but to be fair, it feels like a sensibly priced T6 with 150/DSG albeit a few grand more... is likely a much better long term proposition - even one with higher miles

In fairness DSG has changed the drive of automatic boxes hugely, but there’s nothing wrong with a manual box either. It is quickly becoming unfashionable now to have a manual car / van and as we are all forced down the EV route they will become history no doubt.

In fairness DSG has changed the drive of automatic boxes hugely, but there’s nothing wrong with a manual box either. It is quickly becoming unfashionable now to have a manual car / van and as we are all forced down the EV route they will become history no doubt.
I had a manual Transporter recently as a courtesy vehicle. It was awful! Couldn’t wait to get my DSG Cali back!

I had a manual T5 California for 6600miles which was also a 140hp.....no thanks. This was due to a dealer cock-up so I had the miss configured California whilst mine was re-ordered. At the end and around town I was happy with it, up in the Lakes and around Scotland, fully loaded, another matter.

Back