Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cool Wheels

Yes well if your wheels are wide and 18" you cannot fit skinny 17" tyres can you! And for the record I traveled the Austrian Alps this winter in much snowness and I never needed the chains or slipped at all even once so 18" fatties grip and work well but maybe not at Rally speed...
Lol.......Of course but I figured you would be doing the winter thing with 16" or 17" steel rims and saving your nice alloys for the summer. ;)

My original plan was always to get a good set of all weathers, Nokian Weatherproof or Michelin Crossclimate, and just run the 18s year round. Unfortunately though, very few seem to exist for this size/load application. So I will probably end up with my 16" white Evo wheels (from the above photochop) but skip the big burly tires and go with 235/60 R16 winters.

Edit: As 16" is impossible, the Evo DakarZero 17" will do just fine!

Last edited:
My original plan was always to get a good set of all weathers, Nokian Weatherproof or Michelin Crossclimate, and just run the 18s year round. Unfortunately though, very few seem to exist for this size/load application. So I will probably end up with my 16" white Evo wheels (from the above photochop) but skip the big burly tires and go with 235/60 R16 winters.
Oceans require at least 17" wheels because most early and all new vehicles (UK) have the large brakes, most Beach models will take the 16" wheels.

Last edited:
Oceans require at least 17" wheels because most early and all new vehicles (UK) have the large brakes, most Beach models will take the 16" wheels.

I wondered about that. The dealer couldn't give me a concrete response to the question, back when I ordered surprise! It seemed like vehicles ordered with 18" wheels might have different brakes, but he really wasn't very convincing when he tried to explain it.

According to most tyre sites a load spec of 99 or 103 is correct for a California.
99 load rating is not suitable as 775kgs per tyre or 1550kgs per axle. Cali has 1610kgs front axles normally making 101 load rating the minimum with 1650kgs. 103 factory spec gives 1750kgs
You can go to a higher spec but not lower and still be road legal.

Yes I was only quoting the Tyre sites ("According to..") I agree 103+ is correct.

I wondered about that. The dealer couldn't give me a concrete response to the question, back when I ordered surprise! It seemed like vehicles ordered with 18" wheels might have different brakes, but he really wasn't very convincing when he tried to explain it.

It is only the 102 hp that can take 16". All other T6s must have 17" and up due to the bigger brakes.

Personally, I always prefer optimal grip, so in my part of the world that means one set of winter (below +7*) and summer. All weather will always be a compromise on safety if climate offers icy roads.

My summers are 18" alloy (VW Toluca) and winters 16" steel. The winters are narrower for optimal grip in deeper snow.

Keep in mind that many of the heavy duty terrains look potential, but the compounds are too hard for cold weather conditions and will have a very poor grip on ice and snow.

All the 150 bhp 2017 Beach models we looked at had factory 16" Alloy wheels. I sold mine after adding the current 18".

All the 150 bhp 2017 Beach models we looked at had factory 16" Alloy wheels. I sold mine after adding the current 18".

The Beach is not on the Danish market, so I have not been aware of that. But I find it odd if the 150 Beach should have smaller brakes than the 150 Ocean and Coast? But again, then it will not be the first time VW would surprise me ;-)

Yes I was only quoting the Tyre sites ("According to..") I agree 103+ is correct.
Probably like you I noticed many wheel/tyre suppliers quoting 99 rated tyres as part of a suitable package for T5 & T6 VW's. Even found that the wheels didn't meet the load requirements despite being advertised as suitable.

I guess the Ocean is a lot heavier.
Grosse weight for most Beach & Ocean models are the same. That's the deciding factor not the unladen/empty weight.
Probably a T28 van would be OK with lower rated tyres but that only seems to apply to a basic spec Beach.

Probably like you I noticed many wheel/tyre suppliers quoting 99 rated tyres as part of a suitable package for T5 & T6 VW's. Even found that the wheels didn't meet the load requirements despite being advertised as suitable.
They may have been quoting for the T5/T6 commercial which come in various load variations T28 upto T32 and with smaller engines. Just a thought, but a minimum Load Rating of 103 and speed rating of H is what is on my Vehicle sticker.

The Michelin Cross Climate+ XL 245/45 R18 might be a good choice and cheaper than a set of summer & a set of winters . https

Bit narrower - not sure I'd be willing to take the chance. Shame - would be a good option too (summer / winter type tire....)

Personally I'd rather go up a little in size with the Latitude Cross' I think is how I am leaning..

Yes I missed they were 245 not 255.....:headbang
I did same earlier when I saw the CClimates mentioned in an earlier thread you were on. Shame as considered them a good option (I run 17" Weatherproofs as a winter bias all year round tire so these would have complimented well with a summer bias....)

The hunt continues....

Personally I'd rather go up a little in size with the Latitude Cross' I think is how I am leaning..

I do like this option, but the extra ~2cm overall height of the bus means the already sphincter clenching 2M car parks will become impossible to enter without the huge expense (big battle to get the OH on board for the outlay...) of 4C air-ride.

The Halfords Tyre finder suggest that 255/45 r18 is the correct 18" size....

tyresize.jpg

Last edited:
So it took nearly a year from concept to fitting, but I'm very happy with the result! EVO Corse DakarZero 17x8 ET38 wheels with slightly chunky Cooper Weather-Master WSC 235/55R17 103T tyres. They poke about 1.5cm more than the stock 18", so just about to the edge of the wheel arch. Off to the mountains next weekend maybe..?

IMG_2260.jpg
IMG_2261.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I must agree that the tyre choice in 255/45 r18 is not great on the 4X4 side... (And I need to buy a set come April)
I tried 235/55/18 which comes in a multiple manufacturer SUV range and at 104 load rating.
Test was on an Amorak 7.5"x18 rim but as offset was 45 and I have air suspension the tyre was too close to the front wing edge when suspension dropped, probably OK with a 50 or 55 offset.

Should be OK on standard height suspension.