Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coronavirus Impact

Skylark2.0

Skylark2.0

The adventure with Starlight Expess begins
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
My viewpoint is that the report as it stands tends to imply that the indecision was due to differing interpretations solely of the epidemiological evidence and assumptions about the behaviour of the public, rather than at least acknowledging that there was - must have been - a political element in how the decision (initially, not to) lock down emerged.

I don't find it credible that there would not be a political dimension to the decision process, whether explicit/recognised or implicit/ideological. The report says that the PM's chief adviser (Cummings) was screaming for immediate action by mid-March, and as LowMan says above, he was hardly the only one at that stage. So the unanswered question has to be: why did the PM delay by a further week? The question of why perhaps 10,000 to 15,000 people died unnecessarily as a result hinges on that specific question.

If we are saying that no UK Cabinet could cope with making any similarly crucial decision in a national emergency without weeks of agonising and dither, then that surely points to a serious flaw in our ability to respond effectively next time - and there will be a next time.

I read the report this morning deliberately before I read any media analysis or debate. My view was and remains that it reads like a report on a road accident in which the blame is put on a brake warning light that flickered on a downhill road but completely ignores the fact that, having seen it, the driver then waited for half a minute before actually trying to stop.
Caught napping is the phrase...

kave

kave

Vehicle
T6 Beach 4Motion
Yawn. We should have locked down sooner. Longer. Harder. For ever. I think lock down actually cost lives but we will never know. Not going well for Australia is it. Time to click ignore thread
So true. Never before scared people took over there have been anything like lock downs in WHO guidlines.

VW California Club