Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Coronavirus Impact

C

calibeach76

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Like many I had been planning a road trip with the family over a few weeks of the Easter break. Given most if not all of the trip would include France and Northern Italy this is now a no go. What are other people doing or not doing? Staying put and putting trips on hold or travelling within UK? Cheers

MrsC

MrsC

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Following this thread as we are in the same situation. Supposed to have been skiing in France and with a 4, 5 and 12 year old to think about we are wondering what to do!? Is it irresponsible to be travelling around, what would the reception be like at campsites (if they are open) and how far do we go in case we have to come home?
First idea was some mountain biking in Wales if still allowed but I’m now thinking we will really only be able to decide the day before as everything changing very quickly.

flying banana

flying banana

T6 Ocean 204ps manual
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We too were supposed to be skiing and snowboarding. Now in the lake district. All appears normal here at the moment although a little quiet. But I don't know if that's the virus panic or just the time of year

C

calibeach76

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We too were supposed to be skiing and snowboarding. Now in the lake district. All appears normal here at the moment although a little quiet. But I don't know if that's the virus panic or just the time of year
Picking up any vibes from fellow travellers or indeed site owners?

T6 CFO

T6 CFO

Mike
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I would definitely not be looking to travel, especially with young children.

Everyone has a responsibility to look after themselves and minimise the potential impact of being infected on the health service.

I would not wish to fall ill away from home in my Cali.

Some may have no choice due to the speed this has escalated and personal circumstances but if you have a choice it’s a no brainier to me.

Mike

Bobajob

Bobajob

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We had planned Switzerland, Italy and Croatia in June. We’ve never been to Scotland or much of Wales - so will probably do Wales in June and Scotland later in the year

Joker 1299

Joker 1299

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Picking up any vibes from fellow travellers or indeed site owners?
Hope you’re not picking anything up from fellow travellers or site owners!

Last edited:
Wild Bob

Wild Bob

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Certainly not looking good is it. We are hoping to use club sites but for how long we are not sure :confused:

Joker 1299

Joker 1299

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I am going to Stay at home

it’s the only responsible thing to do

govt prob will enforce that anyway

:(
I’m 65 next month. I ride a 214 bhp motorcycle and I drink more than I probably should (not at the same time, I hasten to add) so my chances of living to a ripe old age are probably slim. Ain’t no virus gonna keep me at home. UPDATE - Dislike all you want, just look at the date of the post first. Then look at my more recent posts for an update.

Last edited:
Wild Bob

Wild Bob

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I’m 65 next month. I ride a 214 bhp motorcycle and I drink more than I probably should (not at the same time, I hasten to add) so my chances of living to a ripe old age are probably slim. Ain’t no virus gonna keep me at home.
68 here only bought the Cali Sep last year so I can't hang about either. Oh and I like a drink too hehehe

Volkywagen

Volkywagen

VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I’d say we have about a month /6wks before the gvt enforces staying at home. Only when the NHS is just about to overflow with cases will the quarantine be enforced.
mill be making the most of it for sure this Easter as the following months may be quite grim

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I’d say we have about a month /6wks before the gvt enforces staying at home. Only when the NHS is just about to overflow with cases will the quarantine be enforced.
mill be making the most of it for sure this Easter as the following months may be quite grim
I would say Easter will be to late.
They need to get a grip of this situation and fast. I would say a complete shut down within a week.

It’s time to stay at home folks and look at the bigger picture...!!!
If you see what’s happening in Italy and France, this thing is getting a bit worrying.
Empty streets in Paris and Rome, no cars on the motorway...

TripleBee

TripleBee

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I would say Easter will be to late.
They need to get a grip of this situation and fast. I would say a complete shut down within a week.

It’s time to stay at home folks and look at the bigger picture...!!!
If you see what’s happening in Italy and France, this thing is getting a bit worrying.
Empty streets in Paris and Rome, no cars on the motorway...
So it would be ideal for us to go on holidays.
No one to contaminate us then? No traffic jams in Lyon, Paris. Enough space on the campsites...

kp64zl

kp64zl

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Reckon sooner than that - a week or two at most

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
We have a planned trip to my brother in Somerset over Easter. Will go ahead if there are no travel restrictions.

We were planning to go to Ile d'Oleron for 11 nights in late May. We might go to Scotland instead.

We still hope to be able to go to south west France and the Spanish Pyrenees for 19 days at the end of August and early September.

Last edited:
BeagleMum

BeagleMum

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Like many I had been planning a road trip with the family over a few weeks of the Easter break. Given most if not all of the trip would include France and Northern Italy this is now a no go. What are other people doing or not doing? Staying put and putting trips on hold or travelling within UK? Cheers
So far we have 2 weeks booked mid April in Scotland, 2 separate UK weeks beginning & end of June, another UK week September & 1 in October, as well as a number of weekends. All these have been booked since December, it remains to be seen whether we will get to go on any of them, but in the current situation it‘s selfish to be even thinking about ourselves whilst people are dying & others will lose their livelihood.

AndyWT

AndyWT

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
I posted this comment elsewhere on here... this shit storm is coming to everyone.

I would wait and see what Boris announces this coming week before making any decisions, as has been mentioned Europe is getting much worse with several countries locked down.

Here in Italy it’s apocalyptic, in our small town 60km south of Turin there’s no virus so far, we can’t leave the house only for essentials and only one person at a time, it’s virtually silent, the supermarkets are fully stocked as agriculture is still working as well as the transport industry, how long don’t know as the virus will grind these down.

This is the new normal, the virus is not going away any time soon, it can’t be stopped, it can only be slowed down until it runs out of victims.

Boris’s decisions last week which not everyone agreed with are prudent I think to a point, if the virus developed slowly it gives time to prepare.

But....

As to traveling, we would have been in the van wandering around Spain/Portugal for several weeks by now if were not delayed due to a clutch failure, fortuitous maybe but it’s dam boring sitting here.

W

Wondering Star

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Was planning Portugal at Easter and a European tour in August, will now stay at home as Virus will be around for 12 months.
Has any government been so unprepared, spent the last three years pontificating about Brexit and not what really matters running the country's social care services effectively.
Nice to see the Daily Mail is asking us all to pull together when its spent the last three years tearing us apart .
# Hipocracy

Karlos

Karlos

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Its quiet for the time of year, I work in and around the lakes and Cumbria and have noticed traffic seems to be reduced.

We are due to go to Scotland for 10 days at the end of the week which has been planned since last year and will make a decision on Thursday. We are planning a mix of wild and site camping with no real plan except heading for the NC 500.