Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Couldn’t close roof, ‘ignition on’ message shown

My friends Calli had the same problem, Ignition on! Some times it did work, and some times not. We replaced the ignition switch without any result. It turned out to be a damage wire from underneath the left front seat, to the control unit in the roof, left of the hydraulic pump...

Thanks, sounds like one for garage to sort out. Unfortunately I’ve no idea when that will be.

If it is any help we had this with our new Cali T5. Two days before we were due to leave for France the roof would not come down. We were still under warranty so I rang VW assist. An RAC man appeared quite quickly, advised it was the control panel. He located one of the 19 in the country and next morning came and fitted it. Roof down and we were off to France on schedule. He said that their philosophy was to get the caller up and running which he did even though the van was on our drive. Very impressive. I would advise that is the route to go. They will analyse the problem and identify the fault and do so quickly. This was some years ago but still ought to work.

Actually not sure if we have Vw assist. Is it included with the 5 year extended warranty you can take out when buying the vehicle?

Our van was new with a 3 year warranty which included the VW Assist. I'm not sure if it continues with the extended warranty. We didn’t take the 5 year additional warranty so sorry don't know. It may be worth checking.

Actually not sure if we have Vw assist. Is it included with the 5 year extended warranty you can take out when buying the vehicle?
VW Assist is part of the New Vehicle 3 year warranty. I don’t think it extends beyond the 3years but you can purchase VW Assistance for £150 for 2 years for years 4 & 5 .

I assumed it was included but never bothered checking as I’ve got cover with my insurance and bank account.

I'm in Scotland at the moment and my side door stopped latching yesterday so I gave Hawco VW in Inverness a call and they couldn't have been more helpful. Took it in this morning and they found the cable attachment in the door had broken. They didn't have the part but could get one for tomorrow so, even though they patched it up and got it working, we've booked an extra day on the campsite and will take it back in the morning. So if all else fails you could drive straight up to Inverness and book it in with Hawco!

We are leaving next Thursday for Scotland, and need to get to Glencoe by Friday evening. I’m doing three day cycle event through the Highlands so we are not intending to raise the roof first three nights as too much risk of being stranded in the morning. From Tuesday to Saturday we are going to be on site at Strathclyde park so may try and contact dealer near there. Still think it’s ridiculous local dealer, and one vehicle was bought from new, won’t look at it before we go. Called another local’ish dealer yesterday and left message saying I had urgent problem with my California. I’m still waiting for them to call me back.

Just looked and there is a van centre at Baillieston which is near where we will be from the Tuesday, so that is an option.

Still think it’s ridiculous local dealer, and one vehicle was bought from new, won’t look at it before we go.

So do I our local dealer Breeze Totton bent over backwards to help with an issue when they knew we were going away the next week when we had and glow plug issue. (and we did not even buy the van from them). On our 1st van a few years ago our bed stuck in the down position on the last 3rd to last day of a 3-week tour of Scotland -we manage and got it fixed on our return home, but I still now even in our new van think every time I pull the cord to pull the bed upright "will it work" So I understand how you feel every time you push the roof up or down button - "will it work". Go away enjoy your holiday and "if" it fails use VW assist to the full and complain like hell to VWUK, although I might be tempted to speak to VWUK today explaining the issue at lack of help from dealer to look at your van before you go on important campervan trip - tell them what you want - a booking at dealer before you go away.

Spoke to VWUK on Tuesday, not interested, nothing they could do other than give me phone numbers of other dealers.

Still worth checking the fuse as it could be just loose! Definitrly sounds like a loose connection somewhere.

Possibly but I’m as likely to make it worse rather than better if it’s a loose wire or suchlike. On Sunday when it first happened I tried to get to the fuses under the seat but gave up. Wouldn’t have known what I was doing or looking for anyway.

A bit of an update on this. After a bit of 'pressure' got it into the dealer first thing Monday morning so thanks to them for that. I'd tried roof before I left and was getting the issue but when I tried when I got to garage it was fine. Left the van with them until today but they were unable to replicate or find the issue. Off on holiday today with van for 9 days so fingers crossed.

there is a battery that operates the roof, so it closes even when leisure battery is empty

• Disagree
Reactions: Loz
A bit of an update on this. After a bit of 'pressure' got it into the dealer first thing Monday morning so thanks to them for that. I'd tried roof before I left and was getting the issue but when I tried when I got to garage it was fine. Left the van with them until today but they were unable to replicate or find the issue. Off on holiday today with van for 9 days so fingers crossed.
If it happens on holiday, just phone VW Assist, don’t let it ruin your trip.:thumb

We had this problem and it was to do with the ignition switch. had to have it replaced. intermittent fault, we had to keep wiggling the key and turning off and on again until we got it changed on warranty thankfully.

A week in and no issues with roof at all. Has worked first time, every time.