Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Couldn’t close roof, ‘ignition on’ message shown

M

murray0710

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Trying to close roof yesterday got a message on control panel saying ‘ignition on’ when I selected ‘close roof’. Ignition was on and subsequently tried it with engine in but still the same. Batteries were showing as 60% and had just had the heater on and fridge was running so control panel seemed to be working ok. Looked at diagnostics option and no errors. This was first time roof had been up in 5 months. Plugged in external power but still nothing. Tried it again a few minutes later and it worked. Is this likely to be battery and plugging electric in gave it enough charge to work? It’s a 20016 t6 Ocean and never had an issue before but only had van 11 months.

Thanks
Jim

Ignition on is always showing when closing the roof
Even better is to have your engine running .

Are you sure? Just tried it and no message about ignition. Only get a message if ignition not on. This was also more of an error message, think it was ‘ignition on!’. Having engine on made no difference. We basically couldn’t close the roof. Couldn’t switch control panel off either, got same message ‘ignition on!’. The ignition was on when getting the message

If I remember right the roof hydraulics are powered the leisure batteries, even though there is an ignition switch lock-out which I assume is for safety.

If it happens again I would be inclined to switch off all other leisure batt power drains (heater, fridge) and try it then. 60% charge reading is quite low and the metering is notoriously unreliable anyway so your batts might well have been too low to operate the roof.

My thoughts, after the event, was that it was the leisure battery and putting it on hookup for 10 minutes put enough charge in it. Would like to know for certain as it was quite worrying and I also had to be somewhere else. I’m assuming that roof works off leisure batteries only so even if you plug the van in you need to wait until sufficiently charged.

Are you sure? Just tried it and no message about ignition. Only get a message if ignition not on. This was also more of an error message, think it was ‘ignition on!’. Having engine on made no difference. We basically couldn’t close the roof. Couldn’t switch control panel off either, got same message ‘ignition on!’. The ignition was on when getting the message
I think the problem is lack of power from Leisure Batteries which power the roof. As has been stated the zignition On is just a Safety step to stop accidental use.
By plugging in the Mains and waiting a few minutes you charged the batteries sufficiently. Probably if you had left the engine running for a few minutes it would have done the same. Initially the engine would have given priority to the Engine Battery.

Trying to close roof yesterday

It’s a 20016 t6 Ocean and never had an issue before but only had van 11 months.

Thanks
Jim
Good work getting a time travel Cali!
Sad to hear they still have roof problems thousands of years later..

Seriously, however, sounds like a voltage related issue as it got sorted after a mains hook up.....
:cheers

Thanks everyone, hopefully it was just the leisure batteries although I thought 60% was loads. Good to know it’s unlikely to be a control panel fault. Would be better if Vw displayed a more relevant message though, saying ignition on! when it was in wasn’t exactly helpful

Murray are you aware there is an emergency workaround for lowering the roof manually? It’s in the manual but not trivial, involves demounting the control panel and releasing the hydraulics with a screwdriver. Then using the tie down strap that comes with the van gubbins to secure the roof for travel.

Just mentioning in case you’re not aware and ever need a get-out-of-jail from a stuck open roof situation.

I was aware of that but no way was I going to attempt that. Next step was to call Vw assist.

Spoke too soon. Have had it on hookup outside house for last 4 hours. Unplugged, battery showing 100%. Tried to lower roof and got ‘ignition on!’ message. Engine on, still the same. Tried the open button which it tried to do but didn’t do much as it was open. Tried close again and it worked this time. I will call Vw garage tomorrow.

Last edited:
Out this morning, battery showing 100%. Ignition on, tried to open roof got the ‘note’ ‘ignition on!’ displayed and nothing happened. Wouldn’t work until I had engine on.

The ignition on message comes on to tell you that the ignition is off. On my van it only displays that without the ignition on and while trying to close the roof pressing the button. Obviously you have a fault as you say you had the engine running. So it's not detecting the feed from the ignition to allow you to drop the roof. Not sure if I'm much help there but at least you know how it should work. Oh you don't need to run the engine on mine either.

IMG_20190514_081551.jpg

Ugh, intermittent electrical probs like that are such a pain. Hope it's still under warranty, at least you can then get the issue logged on the vehicle record as first reported within warranty period, even if they can't reproduce it at the workshop (and sod's law says they won't)..

It’s got the extended warranty so should be covered. Had problems getting it down. Tried loads of times, engine on, engine off , key out and key back in. Eventually got It down. Will call garage this morning.

Well that was a waste of time! Can’t book me in until Thursday 23rd which is the day we are going to Scotland on holiday with the van.

Well that was a waste of time! Can’t book me in until Thursday 23rd which is the day we are going to Scotland on holiday with the van.
Have you actually Switched the Control Panel OFF and then ON using the L Lower button so that you get the VW Logo on Start Up? This does a software reset.

If you get the problem next time phone VW Assist. Phone in normal working hours otherwise you get the AA rather than VW Assist. They have priority with the VW Dealer network.

Yes, I had reset control panel and got the Vw logo coming up.
Called Vw customer care but nothing they could do other than give telephone numbers of other dealers. Suggested to them calling out Vw assist as an option but they weren’t sure it would work as, so far, it eventually sorts itself out.
I’ve tried emailing head of business at van centre expressing my displeasure about the situation. Can’t believe they can’t fit the van in before I go on holiday although service department were quite adamant that was the case.

It might be the push button on the control panel, mine occasionally needs a second push to get it to operate. Also, check the fuse circled in this picture is firmly seated (pull it out and test it with a meter and replace)

That fuse box is behind the bottle holder.

Also, has the overhead control unit ever been out? Could have a loose connector.

Push button is fine as it’s triggering the ‘ignition on’ message. Control panel has never been out. Don’t think it’s the fuse as it does work eventually, so far anyway. I’d fuse I’d expect it not to work at all. I think it’s electrical issue but total pita.

Murray are you aware there is an emergency workaround for lowering the roof manually? It’s in the manual but not trivial, involves demounting the control panel and releasing the hydraulics with a screwdriver. Then using the tie down strap that comes with the van gubbins to secure the roof for travel.

Just mentioning in case you’re not aware and ever need a get-out-of-jail from a stuck open roof situation.
Just out of curiosity, if the roof needs to be lowered using this manual method, do you need to take it in to a workshop to get it started again (refill hydraulics) or is it just to go home, charge the batteries (or replace faulty console) and it works?

Just out of curiosity, if the roof needs to be lowered using this manual method, do you need to take it in to a workshop to get it started again (refill hydraulics) or is it just to go home, charge the batteries (or replace faulty console) and it works?
The latter, the screw just bypasses the pump and lets the fluid pass, it does not drain it out. But the reason you had to lower it in the first place may necessitate the trip to the dealer anyway.
If the leisure batteries are totally flat, then starting the engine will close the split charge relay and in a minute or two and you should be operational again.

Yes, I realise that, but they can be intermittent and a second or third press is sometimes required.
Trust me. When you can’t get the roof down you make sure you press the button hard enough. Had the ‘sticky button’ issue on my last Calfornia.

The latter, the screw just bypasses the pump and lets the fluid pass, it does not drain it out. But the reason you had to lower it in the first place may necessitate the trip to the dealer anyway.
If the leisure batteries are totally flat, then starting the engine will close the split charge relay and in a minute or two and you should be operational again.
:thanks