Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cracked EGR Pipe

if6was9

if6was9

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
My 2016 Beach has done ~55k miles with full VW service history and has just failed its MOT due to a cracked EGR pipe.
The pipe had already been replaced under warranty in March 2020 at ~40k mile by the same dealer carrying out the MOT.

The dealer initially wanted to charge around £600 to replace the pipe, but when I pointed out that they had already replaced it, they agreed to goodwill, so I paid 50% of the parts, to which I agreed.

Once the new pipe had been fitted, I received a further call from the dealer to say that they'd established that there was actually a fault with the EGR unit, and it would be replaced free of charge.

I took the van today to have the EGR replaced, and after 2 hours, I received a call to say that actually, the EGR didn't need replacing, and the van was ready to collect.

Questions are if anybody would be so kind:
• Is there any way to determine when the redesigned pipe (PN: 04L131521BH) was made available by VW?
• Should I be concerned that the van has had two pipe replacements?
• Is there any way to determine whether the EGR unit is in good shape so I can establish whether the dealer is fobbing me off or not?

Any advice/experience would be appreciated.

Expensive pipe fitting by VW quoted as available for £125 on a DIY basis.

Faulty pipes usually split and cause exhaust fume smell.

Looks like this if not sure

Hi - i can report a cracked EGR pipe too - thought id pop up a pic as its something thats quite easy to spot - on a 150 Beach - the pipe is at the front of the engine linking the exhaust to the EGR. If it is cracked there will be black soot near the damaged pipe. I have been getting exhaust smells in the cabin and traced the fault via T6 forums / online research to the EGR pipe. Four bolts looks a straightforward fix IMG_830CA03E2235-1.jpeg

Here is a previous thread showing the old and new EGR pipe and the “flushing process“ carried out to clean the EGR system

mine was replaced by the AA at the roadside.(August 2020)

VW supplied the AA with the new pipes and equipment to carry out the upgrade of the EGR pipe and flush the EGR, due to the amount of issue VW were experiencing with EGR pipe / engine management light / fault codes (old design EGR).
I.E VW gave the equipment and updated EGR pipe to the AA so they didn’t have to recover vehicles to a VW dealer at additional cost to VW (which probably indicates how common the problem is )

have a look at this thread it shows the old gummed up EGR pipe which has two holes in the end of the pipe which block up and the new design (slotted) which resolves the issue. ( it was raining when the work was carried out hence the water droplets in the photos)
post #4 onwards

edit: the process of changing the pipe and flushing the EGR took approx 1 hour start to finish (150ps engine)

Edit: my dealer told me one customer has had the EGR flushed six times to date (from new)
I don’t know if the dealer has fitted the new (redesigned) pipe or not

Last edited:
Here is a previous thread showing the old and new EGR pipe and the “flushing process“ carried out to clean the EGR system

mine was replaced by the AA at the roadside.(August 2020)

VW supplied the AA with the new pipes and equipment to carry out the upgrade of the EGR pipe and flush the EGR, due to the amount of issue VW were experiencing with EGR pipe / engine management light / fault codes (old design EGR).
I.E VW gave the equipment and updated EGR pipe to the AA so they didn’t have to recover vehicles to a VW dealer at additional cost to VW (which probably indicates how common the problem is )

have a look at this thread it shows the old gummed up EGR pipe which has two holes in the end of the pipe which block up and the new design (slotted) which resolves the issue. ( it was raining when the work was carried out hence the water droplets in the photos)
post #4 onwards

edit: the process of changing the pipe and flushing the EGR took approx 1 hour start to finish (150ps engine)

Edit: my dealer told me one customer has had the EGR flushed six times to date (from new)
I don’t know if the dealer has fitted the new (redesigned) pipe or not
Van went into Liverpool vw for mot and service they found Egr pipe split and changed it free of charge as under warranty on looking at paperwork apparently it would of cost me £809:48 had it not been under warranty

Van went into Liverpool vw for mot and service they found Egr pipe split and changed it free of charge as under warranty on looking at paperwork apparently it would of cost me £809:48 had it not been under warranty
Surely that is a new EGR valve and pipe for that cost ?

What paperwork did the VW dealer supply For the warranty work ?

We have just had the rear EGR pipe fail on our 2017 Ocean, it has been replaced by the VW dealer with the latest part.

It was covered under extended warranty, the paperwork suggested this would have been £342.28 (not sure if this include VAT) had we had to pay for it. The parts 4 bolts, 2 gaskets and the pipe are ~£180-200 (I don’t know if the quote included new bolts but I think they have been changed as part of the swap to the later part)

We have a 4Motion DSG and there is an extra cooler next to the pipe which make access interesting, so the price might be cheaper for a non DSG if it takes less time.

EGR pipe went with a load POP on return run from France, thankfully only 10 miles from home.

Indications of something not right were first Stop Start when in Border Force queue heard the Moo sound a couple of times then it didn't restart-had to key restart and put Stop/start off incase of a repeat. Felt like Turbo lag a few times but as mainly on cruise nothing much else odd.
Pulling away from a roundabout heard a load pop like a backfire and lost power. Lost about 80% of power and as in traffic (5pm) kept going. Glow plug light came on with no other indications. As only about 10 miles from home kept going.
Switched off and MFD said Fault with Stop/start.
Had a look under bonnet and saw EGR pipe completely detached at right hand end, not split just out of flange as per photo.

Booked in with VW next week.

20230524_095408[1].jpg

EGR pipe went with a load POP on return run from France, thankfully only 10 miles from home.

Indications of something not right were first Stop Start when in Border Force queue heard the Moo sound a couple of times then it didn't restart-had to key restart and put Stop/start off incase of a repeat. Felt like Turbo lag a few times but as mainly on cruise nothing much else odd.
Pulling away from a roundabout heard a load pop like a backfire and lost power. Lost about 80% of power and as in traffic (5pm) kept going. Glow plug light came on with no other indications. As only about 10 miles from home kept going.
Had a look under bonnet and saw EGR pipe completely detached at right hand end, not split just out of flange as per photo.

View attachment 108910
Update,
Local VW service did say that as I had the 2 year warranty and VW Assist I could give them a call which I did

Explained the issue and that EGR pipe was needed and no panic.
Went through all the Q&A and told that AA would be out soon.
AA phoned to say coming and asked about the fault. As a warranty part needed they couldn't do it but said that he'd come and check.
Came but said that they (AA) weren't permitted to fit warranty parts but could if a non warranty chargeable part!!
He managed to stuff the pipe back in and couldn't pull it out again,
He arranged for VW Assist to come out Friday and confirmed to them that a pipe was needed.

I had a look on Carista and only an Air Mix fault shown. The Stop/Start display fault indication has disappeared overnight.

VW Assist arrived and asked "what's the problem?"
I explained about giving full info about needing an EGR pipe and AA coming out to verify and arranging for VW Assist to bring a pipe and replace it.
Answer was "I was told that there was no history on the problem" :headbang

Faulty pipe removed which wasn't easy as access to one bolt required the throttle housing being removed.
New pipe fetched, about 1.5 hours trip.
Pipe fitted which took some time as the great difficulty was experienced plugging the electrics back into the throttle housing (was difficult to unplug)
About a 4 hour job including fetching the pipe. Probably about 2 hours labour at the workshop.

pipe cost £50 possibly plus VAT.

I'd guess over £300 for VW workshop to do it. on a non warranty basis.

View attachment 108910
New pipe appears to have a modification to prevent this happening again. Copper looking ring between pipe and flange

20230602_115018[1].jpg

MOT fail due to cracked EGR pipe on 2018 Ocean after 40k miles. Well over £300 for VW to replace. Hoping the new pipe lasts much longer

MOT fail due to cracked EGR pipe on 2018 Ocean after 40k miles. Well over £300 for VW to replace. Hoping the new pipe lasts much longer
Front or rear pipe?

thd front is relatively easy to get at and the updated design / part can be bought.

Back