Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cross channel departure time flexibility

G

gatvol

Looking to travel to france next week

Whether you go via eurotunnel or on a ferry, the flexible tickets are much more expensive. Travelling through the night in the uk is not an option for us. So it means m25 after 8am on a weekday and we cannot be precise about when we will arrive on the south coast

Do people here think it will be ok to just arrive, and pay to board the next available ferry or eurotunnel service ?

Thanks

We book on the assumption we may arrive two hours either side of booking time(travelling from Wales there are lots of potential delays on the road)
Have always been let on early if it's not peak times at the Eurotunnel

You can just turn up but it's likely to be expensive though. We broke down in France in our old Mazda Bongo a few years ago. Long story but we came back by the tunnel and it was about £220 at Calais. Fortunately the breakdown insurance paid as they had cocked up.
Check out DFDS Newhaven to Dieppe as well. Depends where you are going but if heading south it's 100 miles further down. Lot less chance of holds up as well compared to getting to Dover/Folkestone.

Have never had a problem turning up early for the tunnel, when checking in Ive always been offered earlier crossings some at additional cost, some at the same price. If you turn up early the worst that can happen is you have to wait for the train you have booked but its never happened to us.

It is in the operators interests to get you on the next train with a space on it, so they still have the possibility of selling the space that youve now vacated on a later train.

For a day time crossing if I wanted to cross at say midday, I would book a 2pm slot & aim to be there at 11am.

As above, get their early and most often get an earlier train,

Currently sitting in Dieppe ferry terminal, 4 hours before departure. Having got 1600 & 1800 transposed . Luckily error was agreed as a mutual cock up, between me and the other half, phew! Still should get pick of seats once we board!

Currently sitting in Dieppe ferry terminal, 4 hours before departure. Having got 1600 & 1800 transposed . Luckily error was agreed as a mutual cock up, between me and the other half, phew! Still should get pick of seats once we board!

Is the guy still there trying to climb the fence?
When I was there a while ago he had four goes at getting over, each time the security told him to get down but he just kept on trying.

Crossed from Poole to Cherbourg this morning. No strangers climbing fences, I suspect it is too far west.

Alan

No fence climbers just a team of 4 French Customs searching our car! Think they were bored.

Sounds like a well organised trip compared to our arrival at Caen 24 hours before sailing. My other half is similarly generous with sharing responsibility so we had a lovely day in Bayeux whilst waiting.

Back