Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cyclist's and CoronaVirus

Adamvanman

Adamvanman

VIP Member
Just been to the chemist which was a 7 mile journey and I saw no less than 6 cyclist on a local A road in full cyclist gear . I know you are allowed to go and exercise but this is so irresponsible as if they had an accident it would take up vital resources.

Before any one says I'm anti cyclist, I am not as I am a cyclist too but I have only been cycling on cycle paths away from roads.

Rant over

Just been to the chemist which was a 7 mile journey and I saw no less than 6 cyclist on a local A road in full cyclist gear . I know you are allowed to go and exercise but this is so irresponsible as if they had an accident it would take up vital resources.

Before any one says I'm anti cyclist, I am not as I am a cyclist too but I have only been cycling on cycle paths away from roads.

Rant over

How is your cycle journey less dangerous than others...?
You could skid off your cycle at the first bend and need hospital treatment.
Regardless of distance or route, life has risk.

How is your cycle journey less dangerous than others...?
You could skid off your cycle at the first bend and need hospital treatment.
Regardless of distance or route, life has risk.

Much less dangerous, no lorries, no pot holes for a start, I agree there is a slim chance a may fall off but nowhere near as dangerous as on a A road !!!

Much less dangerous, no lorries, no pot holes for a start, I agree there is a slim chance a may fall off but nowhere near as dangerous as on a A road !!!

Agreed, some people just don't get it do they !

Rant over
What I don’t understand are those who have to come within a couple of feet of pedestrians walking along quiet roads.
I have just been on a lovely country walk in the sun. Two Lycra clad men on bikes came puffing up behind me and went past, slowly, sweating and wheezing leaving only a couple of feet between us even though they had an entire road!!! The minority I know but very irritating!

Sounds like one rule to fit your circumstances and another rule for others.

You wanna play by your rules. Take the risk out completely and don’t cycle anywhere. By cycling the 7 miles to the chemist you potentially added another risk to our NHS...

Rant over
Trouble is everything we do comes with some risk, all those of us that are at home doing DIY projects are risking a visit to A&E with severed fingers and limbs.

Realistically they are probably safer on the now empty roads than any time in their lives.
The fact that they were in "full cycling gear" might suggest that they are competent and probably more aware of the dangers than the casual cyclist.

Sounds like one rule to fit your circumstances and another rule for others.

You wanna play by your rules. Take the risk out completely and don’t cycle anywhere. By cycling the 7 miles to the chemist you potentially added another risk to our NHS...

He did not say he drove to the chemist

Yes I drove to the chemist. Read it again!!

I said I had been out previously on my bike for excercise on a cycle path travelling at a slow speed. Don't worry, I am not one of these lycra clad idiots that think they are in the tour er France and hated by the majority of the population

What I don’t understand are those who have to come within a couple of feet of pedestrians walking along quiet roads.
I have just been on a lovely country walk in the sun. Two Lycra clad men on bikes came puffing up behind me and went past, slowly, sweating and wheezing leaving only a couple of feet between us even though they had an entire road!!! The minority I know but very irritating!

I had the same.

Running along the road, two cyclists coming towards me, keeping two metres apart side by side! I had to stop, back into someones drive, so the one in the middle of the road could have his two metres from me. I then carried on, as the cyclists were on a loop they caught up with me. First I knew they were behind me was when the nearside one passed two feet away from me, the other one still blithely holding the other side of the road.

I don't think that a lot of cyclists recognise a pedestrian as someone they should keep two metres from. I've been "buzzed" a few times now.

However it takes all sorts and nowt beats the two heavyweights I almost bumped into yesterday, literally. Walking side by side on a narrow path, either would completely fill it let alone two. I stepped off and moved down the stream bank to let them pass but stream side person, not quite able to occupy all the path and still keep side-by-side to friend, slipped and like a slow-moving avalanche came sliding down the bank towards me. It wasn't the possibility of CV that made me move faster than I had in some years, it was the fear of being crushed :shocked

Last edited:

Rant over

I stand corrected.
But above you state, you cycle but only cycle on paths away from roads, so less dangerous...?

Of course it's less dangerous on a cycle path compared to cycling on an A road with motorised traffic and pot holes , surely that is obvious?

Unfortunately in this country we have some very poorly designed cycle paths.
There is one close to me, where the path runs along a busy road. But the cycle path cuts across a lot of blind driveways out of a wooded area.
I’ve seen a couple of cyclists almost become a statistic on that pathway.
That’s why I use the road on this section.

I have to say it's a free for all now with the lycra cyclists near me, never been as busy with them, used to be just sunday mornings. The gear some of these folk have on they are not out for an hour's exercise, it's more like a 40 -70 mile trip. Probably not going down too well with the local farmers either as they are very busy on the lanes at the moment. Just sayin'

The health benefits of cycling far outweigh the dangers.
More accidents happen in the home.

Isn't that like saying base jumping is less dangerous than jogging? Surely it depends on the denominator? Only about 5% of people cycle more than once a week - Dept of Transport figures.

(BTW I'm not arguing that the health benefits aren't considerable.)

Hardly any travel news on the radio at moment but today as cyclist got hit by a tractor locally, I dread to think of the amount of resources took up as the air ambulance was called. All the farmers are out at the moment due to the good weather so why would anyone risk cycling ? My exercise currently consists of sit ups in my bedroom

Fantastic forum punchup combo-theme: lycra-clad cyclists AND coronavirus rules! Can we get Greta Thunberg into this?
:upsidedown
She will have your card marked for sure.
Burning up a load of fuel in a rally at the other side of the world...

Not to forget the amount of people at present suffering anxiety and panic attacks...
Cycling helps relieve these sorts of things for a lot of people.

Next you will be telling us cycling cures Coronavirus

I think you should not judge your cycling ability against your own.

You were probably more likely to crash in your car.

Back