Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cyclist's and CoronaVirus

Yes I drove to the chemist. Read it again!!

I said I had been out previously on my bike for excercise on a cycle path travelling at a slow speed. Don't worry, I am not one of these lycra clad idiots that think they are in the tour er France and hated by the majority of the population
by your comments I think you are one of the so called majority

That's a bit harsh pal, I know cyclist's are hated but that is a bit OTT
Have you nothing to say about his post?
Why do you say “ I know cyclists are hated” ? Are you one of the haters?

Last edited:
:headbang Just been out for our daily walk and we were nearlly mown down by a chap on a bike silently approaching from our rear at speed. No warning call, no bell and absolutely no consideration. I've nothing against people cycling but only those with common sense. The rest are a danger to themselves and to others.

And before anyone says it the same goes for all other road users. At least you can hear most of them coming.
Good & bad road users use all sorts of vehicles
Can you hear a Electric car ?

Well the "Gentleman" who passed us this morning on his racing bike missed my wife by inches not feet. We were walking side by side on a quiet single track country lane when he passed doing about 30 mph from behind. He offered no warning of his approach.
Twats drive & ride all sorts it transport

I tell you something peeps.
The wife and I went for a quick ride yesterday evening around our town and again this afternoon.

It was lovely not having any cars about and seeing households out together exercising...

The air seems fresher and it cleared my mind no end.

Just been to the chemist which was a 7 mile journey and I saw no less than 6 cyclist on a local A road in full cyclist gear . I know you are allowed to go and exercise but this is so irresponsible as if they had an accident it would take up vital resources.

Before any one says I'm anti cyclist, I am not as I am a cyclist too but I have only been cycling on cycle paths away from roads.

I think this is a daft post. I know someone who fell off his turbo-trainer in the garage and broke his wrist, albeit it was before Covid-19 but you can get injured doing anything, anytime, anywhere!

Rant over

Roads are for getting around not for pacemaking, sports training or racing. Some lycrists are racing against online opponents on Strava etc and do not to show consideration to other road users
Ahhh, so that explains a bit. The other week i was behind
Eddie Merckx on his bike, in front of him was an old lady driving
like some of them do, anyway she slowed down to let someone out
from a side road.

Well, Eddie didn't like it at all, he hurled loads of abuse at the old dear,
I was looking, thinking wow that lads a bit impatient.

So maybe like you say, he could've been on a mission.

Reactions: M&E
I have to say it's a free for all now with the lycra cyclists near me, never been as busy with them, used to be just sunday mornings. The gear some of these folk have on they are not out for an hour's exercise, it's more like a 40 -70 mile trip. Probably not going down too well with the local farmers either as they are very busy on the lanes at the moment. Just sayin'
What’s this hour thing? I don’t think there’s a time limit on exercising.

Ahhh, so that explains a bit. The other week i was behind
Eddie Merckx on his bike, in front of him was an old lady driving
like some of them do, anyway she slowed down to let someone out
from a side road.

Well, Eddie didn't like it at all, he hurled loads of abuse at the old dear,
I was looking, thinking wow that lads a bit impatient.

So maybe like you say, he could've been on a mission.
Like I said earlier Twats drive , ride cycle all sorts of transportation just like many other decent road users

Like I said earlier Twats drive , ride cycle all sorts of transportation just like many other decent road users
Well, if you want put it that way,
I think im quite blessed to have the patience of a saint but
give me an open autobahn and you aint catching me sucker :Stig :Stig

Well, if you want put it that way,
I think im quite blessed to have the patience of a saint but
give me an open autobahn and you aint catching me sucker :Stig :Stig
I have to agree , time & a place for everything including the need for speed

Adamvanman what a stupid attitude you have towards cyclist.I have been cycling for about 40 years and have covered many many thousands of miles and raised thousands of pounds for various charies aswell.I have had only one accident on the roads when I was hit and kncked off by car at present the roads are significantly quieter so I have never felt safer when out cycling it is my escape my meditation and exercise we are all under alot of pressure at the moment I cycle on my own I also cycle on bridleways but have stopped doing it at the moment because the are so busy now with every cuch potato out walking so social distancing is impossible on the tracks.As for being a lycra clad idiot tour de france wannabe does that mean that anyone who participates in a sport is a wanabe idiot for wearing the gear appropriate to the sport they are doing

Adamvanman what a stupid attitude you have towards cyclist.I have been cycling for about 40 years and have covered many many thousands of miles and raised thousands of pounds for various charies aswell.I have had only one accident on the roads when I was hit and kncked off by car at present the roads are significantly quieter so I have never felt safer when out cycling it is my escape my meditation and exercise we are all under alot of pressure at the moment I cycle on my own I also cycle on bridleways but have stopped doing it at the moment because the are so busy now with every cuch potato out walking so social distancing is impossible on the tracks.As for being a lycra clad idiot tour de france wannabe does that mean that anyone who participates in a sport is a wanabe idiot for wearing the gear appropriate to the sport they are doing

Does the fact that you've raised some money for charities add to the force of your arguments about cycling safety? If so, how?

And how do you know the people out walking are couch potatoes? Doesn't the fact they're out walking kind of contradict that?

Please tell!

Re raising money for charity proves my point that us so called lycra clad idiots have a social conscience and have done many great things for charity and as stated I have done thousands of miles probably close to 100,000 mls with only one accident when I was hit by a car so I think my safety record is pretty dammed good .The tracks have become extremely busy at present so I think its safe to say that alot of people out they are doing it to escape the bordom of being stuck in there house when they have been told they can do so and not to use there tin boxes unless for essential journeys

Does the fact that you've raised some money for charities add to the force of your arguments about cycling safety? If so, how?

And how do you know the people out walking are couch potatoes? Doesn't the fact they're out walking kind of contradict that?

Please tell!
I don't look into the nitty gritty but i like what you
did there :thumb

Wow. So:
1. Cyclists, by dint of their higher than average charitable giving (on a sample of one, although without any actual data), occupy a piece of moral high ground unattainable by the rest of us.
2. Walkers are globulous couch potatoes who shouldn't be allowed to get in the way of cyclists.
3. Car drivers should stay off the roads to let the lycra-clad (your words, not mine) get up a good head of steam.

This is fascinating. Do continue.

Velmas dad I said clearly a person who hates other people who cycle.

How about the other people who cycle who have just done a shift within the NHS and need to get out and clear the mind...... should they stop cycling as well??

Wow. So:
1. Cyclists, by dint of their higher than average charitable giving (on a sample of one, although without any actual data), occupy a piece of moral high ground unattainable by the rest of us.
2. Walkers are globulous couch potatoes who shouldn't be allowed to get in the way of cyclists.
3. Car drivers should stay off the roads to let the lycra-clad (your words, not mine) get up a good head of steam.

This is fascinating. Do continue.
[/QUOTre point 2 Iam an avid walker myself I was simply stating how the tracks have become extremly busy in the last couple of weeks which sugestes that alot of people who don't ussually do this are now making it harder to keep to the social distancing rule Re point 3 I did not say car drivers should stay off the roads to let us steam along please read carefully before posting

I see a raw nerve has been touched and so many pompous posts.
Generally happens when someone makes an unprovoked post critical of a large group of a group of people in a community (I’ve noted words like idiot and twat over the course of discussion). Let’s not be disingenuous in pretending an overreaction. In general this is a pleasant forum but now and again a nasty undercurrent pops up.

Well the "Gentleman" who passed us this morning on his racing bike missed my wife by inches not feet. We were walking side by side on a quiet single track country lane when he passed doing about 30 mph from behind. He offered no warning of his approach.
Pedestrian, car, van, lorry, your in their way

Back