Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cyclist's and CoronaVirus

I wouldn’t be surprised if falling trees kill more frequently than cyclists.
We weren’t discussing how many were killed by falling trees or lightening. Completely immaterial and adds nothing to the discussion..
Stating that cars kill and cycles do not is inaccurate. I hope this statement was made because the poster was poorly informed and hadn’t done his research rather than as an informed decision to mislead others.

How about a little light cycling (remotely) humour.

Two pieces of road , one a piece of the A12 and another a piece of the M25 walk into a bar and order a drink.

They are enjoying a chat when suddenly a jagged bit of road walks in.

The M25 goes pale and runs into the toilets shaking - he only returns when the jagged bit of road leaves the bar.

What was all that about asks the A12 - oh says the M25 I used to know him he’s a bit of a Cycle Path .:kiss:kiss:kiss:Iamsorry

Quite a lot of warnings in the cycling community that agency photographers would be out with long lenses that compress distances, looking for pictures like these they can sell.

And discussion of the social psychology of people attacking cyclists at the moment. Of course, they are fit, healthy, not polluting... and , shock horror, actually being encouraged at the moment.

Don’t be conned by tabloid stirring, get out there for your exercise and help the NHS by staying fit and trying to be positive about others doing just that.

Last edited:
No just putting the facts straight. Better than lying to get the point across.
Both cars and cycles kill people, one more than the other.
But to say Cars kill and Cycles do not at best is inaccurate and at worse a downright lie.
You’ve really scraped the barrel by bringing up that tragic occurrence. I tried to put forward a balanced view but you’re so blinkered that you ignored the rest of the post . As you worked 42 years in the NHS as a consultant I’m sure you know plenty of A & E consultants . I wonder how many of them have dealt with someone killed or seriously injured by a cycle? My guess would be none as opposed to the hundreds if not thousands of cyclists/ pedestrians injured or killed by vehicles. I’ve just asked the question to my friend who was A & E consultant for 25 years, his answer was none.

I have 3 cycles and two motorbikes etc. However, having followed this thread closely, I have only just noticed the erroneous apostrophe in cyclist’s in the title. Had I realised this grammatical error earlier, I would have ignored the original post.

This is one of the most bizarre threads I’ve seen on here. The hardest thing to change is someone’s mind. It would be great if everyone would just take a deep breath and focus on how they can bring some positivity to those that we share this cool tribe with, rather than focusing on the negatives. Good luck everyone.

This is one of the most bizarre threads I’ve seen on here. The hardest thing to change is someone’s mind. It would be great if everyone would just take a deep breath and focus on how they can bring some positivity to those that we share this cool tribe with, rather than focusing on the negatives. Good luck everyone.

In a word, brilliant.x

Quite a lot of warnings in the cycling community that agency photographers would be out with long lenses that compress distances, looking for pictures like these they can sell.

And discussion of the social psychology of people attacking cyclists at the moment. Of course, they are fit, healthy, not polluting... and , shock horror, actually being encouraged at the moment.

Don’t be conned by tabloid stirring, get out there for your exercise and help the NHS by staying fit and trying to be positive about others doing just that.
Judging by the way they are dressed in Winter attire this is not a photo taken during the last few weeks of good weather. I suspect it is just a library picture that serves the narrative.

And discussion of the social psychology of people attacking cyclists at the moment. Of course, they are fit, healthy, not polluting... and , shock horror, actually bring encouraged at the moment.

Don’t be conned by tabloid stirring,get out there for your exercise and help the NHS by staying and trying to be positive about others doing just that.

This came up on my news feed this morning. I was going to post it but didn't bother. The cyclists are straddling an ASL. Length is typically 5m but can be 3m. Let's say 3m. Big guy at the back is straddling the rear / guy at the front is straddling the front. Let say we lost a metre somewhere and the ASL was only 3m long. Still 2m.

Now an ASL at 3m is short. My 29er is over 2m. However, I know Regents Park and London. Very easy to locate the junction on Google maps (Handover gate junction / Outer Circle ) and measure the ASL. Interestingly it sits in the mid-range at 4m. (Them camera angles)

However, what bugs me about the picture is the cycling kit. Winter legging, overshoes, rain jackets and winter gloves. The lady rider has a neck thingy. There was an earlier photo in the Sun and a rider, not in this shot, had a rain cap under his helmet. One feeling the cold maybe, but an individual group of riders. Just odd, particularly the rain cap and rain jackets.

Did it rain in London today?

Judging by the way they are dressed in Winter attire this is not a photo taken during the last few weeks of good weather. I suspect it is just a library picture that serves the narrative.

We think alike!!!!!!

Reactions: M&E
We weren’t discussing how many were killed by falling trees or lightening. Completely immaterial and adds nothing to the discussion..
Stating that cars kill and cycles do not is inaccurate. I hope this statement was made because the poster was poorly informed and hadn’t done his research rather than as an informed decision to mislead others.

The reason for bringing it up is that cyclists killing another road user is so infrequent that like falling trees killing someone they can be categorised as freak accidents, albeit sometimes also including an element of gross human stupidity.

Vehicle drivers killing another road user, however, are so frequent that they can be categorised as routine.

The numbers of each are scales apart.

In fact I don’t know which number is likely to be greater:
1. Number killed by cyclists in the past decade.
2. Average number killed by drivers per day this year.

You’ve really scraped the barrel by bringing up that tragic occurrence. I tried to put forward a balanced view but you’re so blinkered that you ignored the rest of the post . As you worked 42 years in the NHS as a consultant I’m sure you know plenty of A & E consultants . I wonder how many of them have dealt with someone killed or seriously injured by a cycle? My guess would be none as opposed to the hundreds if not thousands of cyclists/ pedestrians injured or killed by vehicles. I’ve just asked the question to my friend who was A & E consultant for 25 years, his answer was none.
Touched a nerve have I?
If you can't be accurate about that simple statement of Fact then why should anything else you say be any more believable .:thumb

:headbang Just been out for our daily walk and we were nearlly mown down by a chap on a bike silently approaching from our rear at speed. No warning call, no bell and absolutely no consideration. I've nothing against people cycling but only those with common sense. The rest are a danger to themselves and to others.

And before anyone says it the same goes for all other road users. At least you can hear most of them coming.
Bells are a must, we always slow and use the bell when approaching from behind.

Bells are a must, we always slow and use the bell when approaching from behind.
I agree. Why aren't all bikes sold with some form of warning device fitted? Mind you they are of no use if some people won't use them.

Last edited:
A lot of discussion on Twitter etc about how some people are dealing with lockdown frustration with an new ‘censuriousness’ ... not sure if that’s spelt right. But telling everyone else off...
With cyclists, mainly, it seems, because, infuriatingly to some, they’re out cycling for their dose of exercise , keeping healthy, on pretty empty roads for once, with cleaner air to breathe.
Today’s a lovely day, come and and join us!

A lot of discussion on Twitter etc about how some people are dealing with lockdown frustration with an new ‘censuriousness’ ... not sure if that’s spelt right. But telling everyone else off...
With cyclists, mainly, it seems, because, infuriatingly to some, they’re out cycling for their dose of exercise , keeping healthy, on pretty empty roads for once, with cleaner air to breathe.
Today’s a lovely day, come and and join us!
That's our plan for today

Reactions: M&E
I agree. Why aren't all bikes sold with some form of warning device fitted? Mind you they are of no use if some people won't use them.

In my younger days I had an Air Zound horn on my bike. The air reservoir, in the bottle cage, I would pump to 120 psi, and when I sounded the horn mounted on the handlebars, even the captain on the Woolwich Ferry would look to see what was coming.

Now I have a little ‘ping’ bell on the tandem. The boys behind have bulb horns which, although the same model, have slightly different notes. When they blast away slightly off time from one another traffic parts for us as if we are an ambulance coming through.

All new bicycles must be sold with a bell. There is no requirement for the owner to keep the bell.

We have bells on our bikes but often people have earphones in and the other issue is that the noise of a bell simply doesn't register to such an extent if you ring a bell when getting very close they jump out of their skin,when we have trying to give fair warning from some distance back. I've resorted to shouting excuse me which implies they should get out of the way ,but it's not the intention it's just attract attention.

Back