Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cyclists: Scourge of the streets?

If someone could come with a thread that incorporated: cyclists v the rest, 4motion v 2wd, Beach v Ocean and chuck a sprinkling of Brexit in for good measure, it would be an absolute belter.

Sorry, only joking.

*Ducks for cover! o_O

Yes, I would. Both me and hubby use it. So that justified the cost. Zwift is awesome. You can do training plans, group rides, races. There are loads of different worlds in which to ride. They launch new stuff all the time. My hubby has used it to train for a Pyrennes trip next month and says it's the fittest he's ever been. And it hooks up to Strava. I love it. Safe cycling in the comfort of my own home. (We don't have a garage so that's the only issue, it can stink out our spare room!)
I do like the look of the WattBike but for me the Wahoo is a great piece of kit, takes me seconds to slot the bike in (back wheel out) and I can use it's own power meter or the one on the bike (TrainerRoad user), big benefit is I can take it places (not that I do much, use the rollers for races), but it's bullet proof and you can pack it away easy and sell on if you don't fancy a smart trainer anymore, Tacx nero is a nice bit of kit too.

One thing the WB can so over power meters in trainers is pedal economy, Garmin has got close on their Vector threes but you can actually train this in a WB, which is super cool.

Yes, I would. Both me and hubby use it. So that justified the cost. Zwift is awesome. You can do training plans, group rides, races. There are loads of different worlds in which to ride. They launch new stuff all the time. My hubby has used it to train for a Pyrennes trip next month and says it's the fittest he's ever been. And it hooks up to Strava. I love it. Safe cycling in the comfort of my own home. (We don't have a garage so that's the only issue, it can stink out our spare room!)
I've tried Zwift a few times and just cannot get on with it, for me even in group rides people undercook their weight so you end up riding up hills in V02 mode just to keep up and I'm a 4.5w/wg rider getting smashed on Cat 3 Zwift races but race in the top end of Swedish elite on the road and in my age cat in MTB, so for me I just stick to TR and dish out the justice in the real world. For sure the training stuff is great tho and having something to look at is great.

Just found this on my YouTube subs - Saris indoor trainer -

Could maybe DIY one from old Cali springs after lowering? :)

I've tried Zwift a few times and just cannot get on with it, for me even in group rides people undercook their weight so you end up riding up hills in V02 mode just to keep up and I'm a 4.5w/wg rider getting smashed on Cat 3 Zwift races but race in the top end of Swedish elite on the road and in my age cat in MTB, so for me I just stick to TR and dish out the justice in the real world. For sure the training stuff is great tho and having something to look at is great.

It seems there are quite a few "cheats", shall we say. That is a downside, yes. It's great for beginners like me, though. Building up my confidence and power, slowly but surely!

It seems there are quite a few "cheats", shall we say. That is a downside, yes. It's great for beginners like me, though. Building up my confidence and power, slowly but surely!
Agreed and it makes for a faster rider too, I do all my structured training indoors and it pays dividends in the big races

Its does make me laugh when I get passed by someone climbing the Alp faster than Pantani. I've done one race and think I got a fourth in the C (third in Zwift power). But did get spat out every time on a puncher's climb even though I was doing 600watts + on my Neo. If only I weighed in at 70kgs.

I do the GGCC ride so its a consistent bunch of guys / girls. I can now break away and stay with the lead group in the mini race but I can't make the 8 w/kgs breaks!. I just look across and go..... no.

Agreed and it makes for a faster rider too, I do all my structured training indoors and it pays dividends in the big races

I suspect you're more professional than me! I really hope this new stage in my life brings more cycling outdoors!!

I'm a road cyclist. But I've not been out for over a year, as we got a WattBike Atom to use at home and we hook it up to Strava and Zwift. It's brilliant. Super safe, no risk of aggressive or dangerous drivers (a minority, I know but enough to put me off) and can cycle whenever I like as it's super time-efficient.

I'm hoping to go back out onto the real roads soon but I've lost my confidence a little. We live in the city suburbs, so it's about 10 miles before we can get to the quieter lanes.

My hubby goes out a lot and is training hard for a mountain trip next month. As I'm not on the same level, it wouldn't be fair to go out with him right now. Once he's back home, I'll probably do a few road cycles in October...to get back into it.

He got the bug 10 years ago from his Dad. His Dad used to ride competitively, so taught both of us everything he knows about cycling. Bikes, bike maintenance, training and best of all, how to be safe on the road and use it properly. I.e. Be respectful of everyone else, drivers included. But keep in mind those times when we might need to put our own safety first.

Riding side by side is often very necessary. It forces drivers to see cyclists as they would another vehicle and thus give them more room and courtesy when overtaking. I appreciate how annoying it can be. As I'm a driver myself, but patience is key in these situations.

Another thing I've been taught is to not ride in the gutter of the road. It's where potholes tend to be. Debris. Leaves and branches etc. So I've been told it's safer to just ride out a little bit from the pavement. Not be so close. I can see why drivers who don't cycle might get frustrated with this. But it also smartly makes them automatically give me more room. Safety, you see. Both for me and the driver.

Thing is, we tend to go out early on Saturday or (ideally) Sunday mornings. When there are fewer cars on the road and it's safer. (And we're less likely to annoy anyone!!) But even so, I get so anxious before I leave the house.

I've experienced a combination of mainly courteous drivers with just the odd disappointment. Sadly, those bad experiences do shake me to the core.

It began when I was a teen. When a man got out of his car and screamed at me and a friend on a narrow country lane as we were riding side by side (we do this for safety). He was shouting how dangerous it was. He went to his boot and got out a baseball bat and started waving it at me and my friend. As a teen, I calmly said, "If you cared about our safety so much, why are you waving a bat in my face?" It worked and he left without saying a word. It still haunts me to this day.

This was my first experience of the bad eggs who drive cars. And like other people have said, it's a minority, not the majority. Most people are great.

Amongst the usual abuse (I've been called some nasty things, once whilst they were driving along next to me on a busy road) and dangerous manoeuvres (driving too close behind or overtaking too close), more recently, I had an old gentleman go crazy angry at me, my hubby and father-in-law for cycling side-by-side on a narrow road. Guess where? In a private country park with a 10mph limit. We were doing 18mph, I think. He deliberately kept putting his foot on the accelerator, jerking his car forward in an aggressive manner – as if he implied to run us over. I know there are always two sides to every story but this all happened very fast. I can assure you we were not being a pain and moved safely over to let him pass.

It's scary out there. I'm telling you. In France, where I've enjoyed road cycling once, I couldn't believe the difference in attitudes. The respect you get is unbelievable. The roads are quieter, in better shape and motorists just give you such a wide berth and are really friendly.

One of the reasons we got the VW Cali is so we can leave the UK as much as possible to enjoy safer cycling in France and beyond. I really can't wait.

One last point, there are some terrible drivers out there who don't understand the rules of cycling or how to share the road. That is true.

But there are some horrendous cyclists, too. Who give the rest of us a very bad name. I think both sides should be reminded of a few rules, so we can all use the road safely together. I'm not sure how we'd go about doing this – but it could start in schools and then why not make every driver, as part of their driving test/lessons, learn about cycling, too?

Maybe they'll have a little more compassion for cyclists and remember they're human flesh and bones. A daughter, a sister, a wife... Instead of just an inconvenience that's getting in the way?

Great post Kate, please keep riding your bike

If someone could come up with a thread that incorporated: cyclists v the rest, 4motion v 2wd, Beach v Ocean and chuck a sprinkling of Brexit in for good measure, it would be an absolute belter.

Sorry, only joking.
You forgot manual vs DSG, snow tires vs all-season, Calitop vs Brandup Isotop, cooking inside vs outside, sleeping up or down......................

First road ride (80km) in about 8 years and I have to say I was disappointed by the quality of the driving. It seems that a road biker takes a lot more abuse from motorists that I have typically experienced on my MTB when on the road. Come on I'm still the same rider guys.