Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Dealerships charging extra for Covid cleaning!

David Eccles

David Eccles

VIP Member
Just had my Cali delivered back from a very expensive job (we won't go there) - service excellent, delivery guy wiped down all insides he had touched and keys etc, social distance etc all good
but then I noticed a charge of £6 for covid deep clean on invoice...apparently Listers Group has introduced this across all their dealerships not just VW...
It's nice to know they are taking care and doing their bit properly and thoughtfull,y but if everyone started adding extra for cleaning...most are just doing it per se as part of new normal I thought..
I know it's small sum so am I just being picky and grumpy? Anyone else's dealer doing this?

Be nice to know what they call deep cleaning.

FFS, if I could pick a pocket or two !

This is the new normal !

FFS, if I could pick a pocket or two !

This is the new normal !
Mine went in for service last week, there was no BS charge, I would have bit someone’s head off if they tried that

Nope, don’t agree with that...
They aren’t exactly cheap anyway.

Good thought Meoncoast ...I am going to email head office to enquire as to EXACTLY what they mean by deep cleaning and why no mention of charge on website or when booking vehicle in...yet they send out emails telling us about their safety measures in showrooms and workshops!
Forest Holidays just emailed me about offers (no chance of me taking that up) and there's a whole section about what cleaning products being used and where and how applied...and all the other safety measures being put in place ...(still did not persuade me however!)

It's just another scam. It's like when a vehicle goes in for a service, I deliberately fill up the washer fluid and then they charge you £10 for "filling washer bottle". Er no, it was full up when it came to you. It is because most people are too lazy to check the invoice.

I would refuse to pay on the grounds that you will have to deep clean on its return to you in order to protect yourself from the person who worked on it.

Amarillo is booked in for a service on 23 June at SMG.

I have prepaid for the first four services. I’ll report back if I face a Covid surcharge.

£6 doesn’t sound entirely unreasonable, but we should be informed in advance of any extra charges. They did tell me on the phone that they’d do some extra cleaning, but no mention of a charge.

Could the cleaning be to protect them from us? In any event they should be upfront over additional costs.

Was the vehicle cleaned/sterilised before it was handed over to the garage for service?

I’m not supporting the charge but one could say it works both ways.

Was the vehicle cleaned/sterilised before it was handed over to the garage for service?

I’m not supporting the charge but one could say it works both ways.
But even if it was, would you trust it?

Good evening,

It seems with Covid everything is changing. In the news I saw a report saying that in the future the cost to build a semi-detached house will increase of about EUR 15,000 to cover for all the extra cost for a save working environment while building the house. :eek:

Also they mentioned on the news that dentists toying with the idea to charge their patients EUR 20 to 30 EUR for the cost of the PPP. :eek:

My local VW dealer describes (in general) how they have organised business (service, repair) which includes cleaning. Extra costs are not mentioned.

I can imagine (and I expect) that if social distancing will stay with us for the years to come the cost for everything will increase significantly. Shops and business simply won't generate the same income as before - but the running costs are not only as high as before, but even higher. Somebody has to pay for this.

We only can hope that everything is going back to normal as soon as possible and that everybody stays healthy and save.

Happy California.
Eberhard

My van went into Wrexham VW this Tuesday for its first service. The service manager (complete with facemask) explained how he was going to apply protective covers to various areas of the van before the mechanics went near it, and would also be the last person to remove that protection and wipe it down before returning it to me. He also apologised that they were unable to give it the complementary valeting as they hadn't yet worked out how to covid-safely do that in a time-effective manner. I guess that saves them some cost to offset the other measures they're taking. There was no suggestion of any additional cost to me, with everything covered by the standard service plan.

I had three Renault vehicles serviced in the last few weeks since the Belgian garages re-opend . Dealer gave me notice that the inside been cleaned/desinfected after service when parked up in parkinglot (guessing the steeringwheel, shiftlever,...) this was not charged , at least not visible written on the invoice.
If they want they just hide the charge within some other service on the invoice anyway.
This cleaning will be the new-normal and in some way the client will be charged anyway imo.
I think if they charge you somehow it would be legal as the law probaly prescribes that one need to handover the verhicle back to the client desinfected since the new-normal.
Here in Belgium i've seen some stories in the news about charging extra coast since the new-normal for cleaning/desinfecting in various sectors of retail.

Before all this started. Our garage would put a plastic seat cover on a plastic steering wheel cover on and the tec's use rubber gloves.

It's taking the mickey a bit. A few antibac wipes are pennies, it would be make better business sense to say Sir/madam you can rest assured we have cleansed any areas we have touched in the cab etc for your safety. Customer leaves impressed, hopefully.

One way or another they will charge you. Whether it be a separate charge or a hidden uplift in labour charges.

It's going to be the same as with those "empty" seats on aeroplanes to maintain social distancing ...someone is going to have to pay for them somehow.

It's going to be the same as with those "empty" seats on aeroplanes to maintain social distancing ...someone is going to have to pay for them somehow.

And we are all going to have to foot the financial bill for this pandemic. I’d favour a tax increase over more cuts or bonds transferring the burden to the next generation.

Just had some carpets cleaned in a flat and the guy was up front that there would be a £10 charge for a disinfectant clean. Not a problem, he’s a good guy and fair.

How this all effects inflation will be interesting.

Mike

How this all effects inflation will be interesting.
Yes and with the possible 15% unemployment rate, not good. Sorry, veering off topic.

So coming back on topic, yes we can expect to see all sorts of charges cropping up to recoup extra outlay. Campsite fee's probably another example.