Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Debunking The Myths

We have had a few mild winters, don't be lulled into a false sense of security.

I've been down to Minus double figures, Highlands in Winter. Generally if it's going to be freezing then I have the heater programmed to come on a couple of times through the night to warm the van up.

I've been down to Minus double figures, Highlands in Winter. Generally if it's going to be freezing then I have the heater programmed to come on a couple of times through the night to warm the van up.
Or left on low.:thumb

Or left on low.:thumb

Indeed. It only needs to be above freezing. There's other things in the Cali as well that I would not want to get too cold and as it's there to be used at a moments notice it simply does not make sense for me to drain everything down and empty everything out.

A different story if I was laying it up for winter.

We haven't even tested our water tank yet and tap yet. Given the time of year and the hassle of draining every time to avoid freezing, I doubt we'll use it before March
I don't see why it should be a hassle. I just open the Wardrobe tap. It's only fresh water and disconnect the in-line connector for the tap found under the Sink R Hand side and open the tap. When I get home I just open the waste tank vent which drains into a gully and a soak away as we only swill out cups and empty kettle in the sink. If we use the sink for washing up then a bucket is used and emptied in the kitchen drain but this is rare.
Having said that we use the vehicle daily and frequently camping over winter months so only do the above if it's not going to be used.

I was thinking more along the lines of when you aren't staying in it. I know you are aware of the risks of frost damage but new may not be so clued up.

I just open the Wardrobe tap to drain the water tank and disconnect the in-line connector for the tap found under the Sink R Hand side and open the tap. When I get home I just open the waste tank vent which drains into a gully and a soak away as we only swill out cups and empty kettle in the sink. If we use the sink for washing up then a bucket is used and emptied in the kitchen drain but this is rare.

As above if not using it for any length of time

A little bit of water left somewhere in the jerrycan / pipe / tap in my previous T5 conversion froze a couple of winters ago & broke the tap - I can't remember the exact circumstances now, but it was a PITA to source & swap over.

I'd be careful to drain it all off properly as above if there was a big freeze coming.

True. Bottle water solves the risk of freezing water in the tank. Obvious really. Thanks for the advice.
But as it was a pre-owned van you might want to drain the water anyway as there's probably some in the tank.

Alvin looks lovely , is he black ? just wondering as mine will be.

Also do you keep yours on the road . I have just become aware that mine wont fit in my garage ! its seems some insurers are not keen to insure on the road and in anyway I am nervous about things like keying as much as being stolen ...

Grateful for your comments

Cheers

Yes its kept on the road, it's not ideal as we live in the centre of Bristol so parking a van is a bit of a nightmare. I had no issues with insurance £250 from Admiral.
Never had a problem with it getting keyed, but plenty of problems with parking related bumps and scrapes. I recon it happens to us probably once every six months, but generally not expensive to fix. One of the good things about black is that it is apparently easy to match when they do respray.

Thanks for the info , of course I thought my garage was bigger , I'm working on solving that problem, that would be best . £ 250 seems like a great price , I'll check into that . Safeguard was the one I was looking at but they don't have vandalism clause 'no loss of no claims like saga do but Saga demand a garage . We have a holiday home in France and French insurance could also be an option if we change the plates . With the French insurance there is no limit to miles , no limit to New for old miles for two years , can travel around 365 days in any country and leave the van at airport to fly home to U.K. ( haven't found one Uk company where this is possible) and if we change the plates no Uk road tax again . But possibly we will have to pay an ECO tax on registration... the insurance itself is about 450 euro .

This is not how it works on my T6. I lock the doors with the button on the driver's door. When I open the sliding door, the locking knob goes up the first time I pull the inside handle and the door opens the second time I pull the handle. The door is not locked after closing the door. No problem to leave at night and then enter again.

It is impossible to open the doors from inside if I lock them with the remote. This could be very dangerous, so should be avoided when someone is inside the Cali.
Also do not use the remote when you are inside when you have the VW alarm, use the button on the drivers door to lock the doors when you are inside.

Back