Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Debunking The Myths

califonication

califonication

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We did it :)…we finally got our Cali (Alvin – all our cars begin with ‘A’).
When we did the hand over I was told a couple of things I’ve not read about on the forum (yes, tragically whilst waiting for a Cali I’ve read the entire Beginners section of the forum)!

Are these true?:
1. You have to have the window blind closed before raising / lowering the roof
2. You must use the inside handle to open/ close the door or it doesn’t electrically close (it’s a manual door, but at the very end you can here it closing the door the final bit)
3. Turn the gas off before setting off using the large red level under the sink. I tried this and there is a red nob mounted under the worktop that DOES turn off the gas. But the red handle mounted near the wardrobe that DOESN'T seem to turn off the gas.

1. What do you mean by window blind?

2. No. Just pushing the door anywhere will activate the servo assisted closing. You just have to be firm enough.

3. I turn my gas off at the bottle before travelling anywhere just in case of accident. The other red lever you mention is the grey water waste tank emptying lever.

The window blind...I mean the kitchen window blind...I'm not sure why it would effect the roof, but it was what I was told.
Thanks for the information about the water...just as well I checked or I'd have been driving around with the gas on!!

The window blind...I mean the kitchen window blind...I'm not sure why it would effect the roof, but it was what I was told.
Thanks for the information about the water...just as well I checked or I'd have been driving around with the gas on!!
Where did the Window Blind myth come from?

No.
1. You have to have a window or two, or a door open before lowering the roof. Something open close to the same cross-sectional area as the hatch to minimise pressure changes.
Similarily opening the roof. The Hatch should be open and opening doors or windows would minimise the pressure drop as the roof opens and thus reduce the strain on the hydraulics.
2. Tap under the worktop L Upper, turns Off the gas to the hob only.
3. Red Lever tap in Kitchen cupboard Lower L rear, opens and closes the Waste Water tank drain.

Lots of Information in the California Supplement Handbook.

Cool you got your Cali and beauty it is too.
But who gave out that advise?

Me thinks that the person who gave you the advice might have been snorting bong water. They are probably depriving a village somewhere of an idiot. And I mean that in a kindly loving way.
This site has to be your first port of call because everyone on here is extremely clever.

Psst....best to have the blinds down when the roof is up and your getting undressed to go to sleep.....:D

Serious now , i guess your salesman meant that you best zip the windowblinds in the pop-top ...;)
I zip them not entierly close to let some air out of the roof while lowering.
As for 2 : how on eart does your salesman open/closes the door from the outside with the indoor handle , if he says thats the only one to use with electric closure?
It works on both in and outside handles the same .

One tip doh , when you are inside chilling or at night with the all doors locked using the pushbutton on the driversdoor or using the remote .
Only go out afther unlocking all the doors by that same button on the driversdoor or the remote.....
Or else you end up opening the sliding door from inside , get out , close the sliding door and find yourself locked out of your own verhicle ( if not you taken your remote with you offcoarse)

On 3

The gasbotlle itself closes on top of the botlle in the rear wardrobe under the bottem shelf unscrewing the round plastic sealed lid .
And as you already found in the left cupboard under the coocker.
Open the one in the rear at arrival on site , open the one under the coocker once you start coocking , close it back the minute you stop coocking , close the one in the rear before driving off .....get the picture?

The red lever below under the coocker is drainvalve waste watertank
The red lever in the rear wardrobe under the bottem shelve is draining freshwatertank

Seems you need to do some reading on the forum:D

Last edited:
One tip doh , when you are inside chilling or at night with the all doors locked using the pushbutton on the driversdoor or using the remote .
Only go out afther unlocking all the doors by that same button on the driversdoor or the remote.....
Or else you end up opening the sliding door from inside , get out , close the sliding door and find yourself locked out of your own verhicle ( if not you taken your remote with you offcoarse)

This is not how it works on my T6. I lock the doors with the button on the driver's door. When I open the sliding door, the locking knob goes up the first time I pull the inside handle and the door opens the second time I pull the handle. The door is not locked after closing the door. No problem to leave at night and then enter again.

It is impossible to open the doors from inside if I lock them with the remote. This could be very dangerous, so should be avoided when someone is inside the Cali.

Last edited:
This is not how it works on my T6. I lock the doors with the button on the driver's door. When I open the sliding door, the locking knob goes up the first time I pull the inside handle and the door opens the second time I pull the handle. The door is not locked after closing the door. No problem to leave at night and then enter again.

It is impossible to open the doors from inside if I lock them with the remote. This could be very dangerous, so should be avoided when someone is inside the Cali.

Oke , i am wrong , i was assuming locking with with remote you could open door from inside witch i was wrong .....just tested it on my T5:Iamsorry
:thumb

Last edited:
Thank you all for your help!!

I was a private sale, he seemed like a switched on guy so maybe I just misunderstood him...or maybe he'd been given a load of misinformation, back when he bought it.

I'm resisting the urge to buy loads of stuff (as recommended by the forum), first trip is going to be to see my mum and dad and I expect our 3 year old will want to camp out on their drive.

Then off to IKEA!!

Read the handbook and the posts here and you will get the info you need. As everyone says it's vitally importantbyou open a door or window when lowering the roof or you could catch the bellows in the roof mechanism. This is the second most important bit of information. Job number 1 is to have lots of fun. Enjoy it. It's a life changer!!!

Read the handbook and the posts here and you will get the info you need. As everyone says it's vitally importantbyou open a door or window when lowering the roof or you could catch the bellows in the roof mechanism. This is the second most important bit of information. Job number 1 is to have lots of fun. Enjoy it. It's a life changer!!!
No. Job No1 is put Diesel in the Fuel Tank and not the Water Tank.:bananadance2

No. Job No1 is put Diesel in the Fuel Tank and not the Water Tank.:bananadance2

That goes without saying! Having fun is always top priority.

Out of interest how many Cali owners have fuelled up their water tanks then? I can't believe it's a common mistake. I mean it has a picture of a water tap on the filler cap.

Finally can you tell me in the cold weather do you leave the water tank empty? I've been leaving mine empty now the weather is cold. But how do you get around the freezing issue if you are camping? I guess anti freeze makes your tea taste funny? :sad

Yes you must drain the tank and the feed to the tap. If you are using your Cali in the winter you will probably have heat on in the vehicle so it would be fine to use the water tank but you will then have to drain it again. Last winter we used a 5 litre bottle of water and didn't use the on board tank.

We haven't even tested our water tank yet and tap yet. Given the time of year and the hassle of draining every time to avoid freezing, I doubt we'll use it before March

We did it :)…we finally got our Cali (Alvin – all our cars begin with ‘A’).
When we did the hand over I was told a couple of things I’ve not read about on the forum (yes, tragically whilst waiting for a Cali I’ve read the entire Beginners section of the forum)!

Are these true?:
1. You have to have the window blind closed before raising / lowering the roof
2. You must use the inside handle to open/ close the door or it doesn’t electrically close (it’s a manual door, but at the very end you can here it closing the door the final bit)
3. Turn the gas off before setting off using the large red level under the sink. I tried this and there is a red nob mounted under the worktop that DOES turn off the gas. But the red handle mounted near the wardrobe that DOESN'T seem to turn off the gas.

It's not April the 1st is it?

That goes without saying! Having fun is always top priority.

Out of interest how many Cali owners have fuelled up their water tanks then? I can't believe it's a common mistake. I mean it has a picture of a water tap on the filler cap.

Finally can you tell me in the cold weather do you leave the water tank empty? I've been leaving mine empty now the weather is cold. But how do you get around the freezing issue if you are camping? I guess anti freeze makes your tea taste funny? :sad
It has happened.

Camping in winter - remember the water tank is internal. I fill up before leaving and we often have the Parking Heater on when camping in cold weather and leave it on 1 or 2 at night or when out of the van. No problems so far. You could always leave the tank empty and take bottled water?

It has happened.

Camping in winter - remember the water tank is internal. I fill up before leaving and we often have the Parking Heater on when camping in cold weather and leave it on 1 or 2 at night or when out of the van. No problems so far. You could always leave the tank empty and take bottled water?

True. Bottle water solves the risk of freezing water in the tank. Obvious really. Thanks for the advice.

When operating the roof make sure to open a door or window on the side sheltered from the wind, not the windy side.

I have never had a freezing problem but then the vehicle is in use most weeks and kept warm.

Now I've said it .... wait for the icy blast of air and nothing coming out of my tap :shocked

Alvin looks lovely , is he black ? just wondering as mine will be.

Also do you keep yours on the road . I have just become aware that mine wont fit in my garage ! its seems some insurers are not keen to insure on the road and in anyway I am nervous about things like keying as much as being stolen ...

Grateful for your comments

Cheers

I have never had a freezing problem but then the vehicle is in use most weeks and kept warm.

Now I've said it .... wait for the icy blast of air and nothing coming out of my tap :shocked
We have had a few mild winters, don't be lulled into a false sense of security.

We haven't even tested our water tank yet and tap yet. Given the time of year and the hassle of draining every time to avoid freezing, I doubt we'll use it before March

Me either, next week I think we are going to the lakes for the weekend. May have to put a few litres in just to check it all works. Awning also needs to be wound out and checked., may be should have done this on collection day !

...message ends...

Back