Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Demostrator Coast - Anywhere in the London/South Region

J

Jenny H

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi - does anybody know of a dealer that has a Coast available to test drive - all the dealers I have called - Loughton, Robinsons, Marshalls, Breeze, dont have one & state theyre in short supply & none available - I know its all because of Covid but surprizes me that VW have introduced to UK this year but none available to test drive!! I went to Loughton today to look at the Ocean & tbh being a non tech it confirms that the more basic Coast with manual roof as well as being more reasonable priced is more for me - I also prefer the brushed oak & seat choice of the Coast but it would be nice when spending £50k to see in the flesh first! They didnt even have fabric swatches to show & the guy even thought the Coast came without a kitchen!! Thanks to the forum I knew far more about the vehicle than he did!!

Hi Jenny, was really hoping that you'd had a better experience today. Was looking fwd to you posting that you'd driven the ocean and Loughton's Coast demo was only a few weeks off. As you know we are both looking for one to at least get to look at. I have filled out the VW test drive request four times now each time picking a dealer further and further away. Still no joy. VWs Twitter account doesn't seem to understand that there are two models either and they told me that test drives were still suspended due to C19. Loughton is 90miles away for us and I would happily drive if I could get hands on with a Coast. They did at least offer an Ocean test drive but only during the week. Not weekends. I emailed Ryan back to ask for a weekend slot but that emailed went unanswered. Along with the other 3 dealerships I have emailed. I've been less than impressed with any of those that I have contacted thus far. Oh to find a dealer that seems keen to secure the business at the moment. I guess they are under the impression that they don't have to try too hard to sell these at the moment. I hope that their complacency is justified. Please post if you manage to find a Coast to view and good luck hunting.

Have you tried SMG Tonbridge?

They are pretty clued up on the California and are, I think, number 2 in the UK for California sales.

Hi Jenny, was really hoping that you'd had a better experience today. Was looking fwd to you posting that you'd driven the ocean and Loughton's Coast demo was only a few weeks off. As you know we are both looking for one to at least get to look at. I have filled out the VW test drive request four times now each time picking a dealer further and further away. Still no joy. VWs Twitter account doesn't seem to understand that there are two models either and they told me that test drives were still suspended due to C19. Loughton is 90miles away for us and I would happily drive if I could get hands on with a Coast. They did at least offer an Ocean test drive but only during the week. Not weekends. I emailed Ryan back to ask for a weekend slot but that emailed went unanswered. Along with the other 3 dealerships I have emailed. I've been less than impressed with any of those that I have contacted thus far. Oh to find a dealer that seems keen to secure the business at the moment. I guess they are under the impression that they don't have to try too hard to sell these at the moment. I hope that their complacency is justified. Please post if you manage to find a Coast to view and good luck hunting.

Seems crazy doesnt it but guess thats life at the minute.
I think Im going to try & piece it together by test driving the Caravelle, looking at the older models re cupboard finish, there are some very good videos on youtube - bus & beyond, & California Chris which give good close ups of the finish & spell out the differences.
He did tell me that it will be interesting to see what VW announce for the last quarter of the year Oct - Dec, we went to look at his schedule setting out HP against PCP but he couldnt even work that out!
Im so torn at the minute as with all the chaos in the country I feel I should hold off but Im also weighing that up against the 10% import duty & the fact I want a Coast & dont want them to discontinue that in the UK!

They are pretty clued up on the California and are, I think, number 2 in the UK for California sales.

Thats who I had my quote from - they did price match drive the deal few weeks but didnt have the Coast in to test drive. I will try them again - I spoke to Martin on email & he was very helpful - thank you

It's great to know that SMG are highly regarded. Martin responded to the test drive request saying that they weren't running a Cali demonstrator at the moment and suggested driving the Caravelle. I replied with my thought process and that was the last I heard. Really useful to know they price matched though. I'm just brave enough to order something I haven't seen in the flesh.

Seems crazy doesnt it but guess thats life at the minute.
I think Im going to try & piece it together by test driving the Caravelle, looking at the older models re cupboard finish, there are some very good videos on youtube - bus & beyond, & California Chris which give good close ups of the finish & spell out the differences.
He did tell me that it will be interesting to see what VW announce for the last quarter of the year Oct - Dec, we went to look at his schedule setting out HP against PCP but he couldnt even work that out!
Im so torn at the minute as with all the chaos in the country I feel I should hold off but Im also weighing that up against the 10% import duty & the fact I want a Coast & dont want them to discontinue that in the UK!
So Ryan wasn't able to offer a test drive in the Ocean after all?

I know it’s not South East, but Listers in Droitwich had a Coast a few weeks ago when I was in. Worth a call? Ask for Bradley

I know it’s not South East, but Listers in Droitwich had a Coast a few weeks ago when I was in. Worth a call? Ask for Bradley
Many thanks for that. Thats just over 3 hours up the road for us, but I am happy to make the trip if VW can't find me anything closer. I have reached out to them again over Twitter DM to see if a different social media handler can find something.

May I ask, why do you need to test drive a Coast ?
handling, engine, brakes, road feel etc will be pretty much identical to an Ocean.
The interior layout is identical, to check the several functionalities, furniture, fit and finish.
The Coast only has less accessories that you don't even see, some cosmetic, some hidden like the parking heather.
The only noticeable visible difference and usability is the manual roof, and if you look at a Beach, I can't imagine the mechanism being that massively different.
I personally bought it without test drive. VW produces the T5/T6/T6.1 for a while now , 150 thousand T series a year. it is an extremely popular van, in a competitive market for the trade against the Vito, Ducato, Jumper, Transit, and several others, and for driving capabilities is second only to the Vito.
Quite frankly, and with due respect as I don't know you, unless you are an experienced professional driver, i can't see how you could get a better judgement than the success of the T5/T6 has been proving for years.
It drives extremely well. People like it. With 3 tons is not going to be as zippy as a Golf GTI of course.
Put it another way, assuming you test it and are disappointed because it is not as agile as a regular car, will you then refuse to buy any camper-van at all ?

May I ask, why do you need to test drive a Coast ?
handling, engine, brakes, road feel etc will be pretty much identical to an Ocean.
The interior layout is identical, to check the several functionalities, furniture, fit and finish.
The Coast only has less accessories that you don't even see, some cosmetic, some hidden like the parking heather.
The only noticeable visible difference and usability is the manual roof, and if you look at a Beach, I can't imagine the mechanism being that massively different.
I personally bought it without test drive. VW produces the T5/T6/T6.1 for a while now , 150 thousand T series a year. it is an extremely popular van, in a competitive market for the trade against the Vito, Ducato, Jumper, Transit, and several others, and for driving capabilities is second only to the Vito.
Quite frankly, and with due respect as I don't know you, unless you are an experienced professional driver, i can't see how you could get a better judgement than the success of the T5/T6 has been proving for years.
It drives extremely well. People like it. With 3 tons is not going to be as zippy as a Golf GTI of course.
Put it another way, assuming you test it and are disappointed because it is not as agile as a regular car, will you then refuse to buy any camper-van at all ?
I agree. A test drive of an Ocean a visible inspection of a Coast would suit me just fine.

Its just when youre spending that amount of money - which Ive never done before on a vehicle - ideally I would like to see & try what I am buying first - as said my only other option is piecing it together by test driving a caravelle etc - i agree most is the same as the Ocean ie layout, vehicle, engine if its the 150, - I guess Im just old fashioned & cautious :)

Its just when youre spending that amount of money - which Ive never done before on a vehicle - ideally I would like to see & try what I am buying first - as said my only other option is piecing it together by test driving a caravelle etc - i agree most is the same as the Ocean ie layout, vehicle, engine if its the 150, - I guess Im just old fashioned & cautious :)
Not at all Jenny. Serious money requires serious considerations. I too would be happy with the combination of test driving another model. But I really would like to see the interior of the Coast before committing. Did you get the Ocean test drive at Loughton? What happened?

I totally understand you, it was a lot of cash for me too. But you are buying new, not second hand so a test drive is not that necessary. it isn't a totally new vehicle, new concept, or experiment. As you may have noticed VW is very reluctant to change a lot in every new model t5/t6t6.1. Why changing something that is working well and selling better?

What are you expecting to find out from your test drive? if the 150Ps engine that powers millions of vehicles in the VW range is good? brakes? gearbox? it's all new it works very well, tested in millions of vehicles.

Test an Ocean, and have a look if you rather would like to have front 17" brakes, and the anti roll bars. I have them and I like them, even though I never tested one without. It must drive better with those options, and you may want to consider them if your are going to use the Cali as a daily vehicle. But you'll need to decide on paper, unlikely you'll be able to test one with and one without upgraded brakes and antiroll bars..

No test drive as it was a weekend & Manager only works in the week
Not at all Jenny. Serious money requires serious considerations. I too would be happy with the combination of test driving another model. But I really would like to see the interior of the Coast before committing. Did you get the Ocean test drive at Loughton? What happened?

No couldnt test drive at the weekend as the Manager is the only one who can accompany & he wasnt working - so just did thorough inspection all round.

I totally understand you, it was a lot of cash for me too. But you are buying new, not second hand so a test drive is not that necessary. it isn't a totally new vehicle, new concept, or experiment. As you may have noticed VW is very reluctant to change a lot in every new model t5/t6t6.1. Why changing something that is working well and selling better?

What are you expecting to find out from your test drive? if the 150Ps engine that powers millions of vehicles in the VW range is good? brakes? gearbox? it's all new it works very well, tested in millions of vehicles.

Test an Ocean, and have a look if you rather would like to have front 17" brakes, and the anti roll bars. I have them and I like them, even though I never tested one without. It must drive better with those options, and you may want to consider them if your are going to use the Cali as a daily vehicle. But you'll need to decide on paper, unlikely you'll be able to test one with and one without upgraded brakes and antiroll bars..

Thank you, you are quite right in breaking it down like that there's not anything more to gain by a test drive, guess it would just be the final yes go for it or not - tbh I would not be paying £63k plus for the Ocean I viewed at Loughton - Im just a cautious person & this decision is really throwing that caution to the wind!

No test drive as it was a weekend & Manager only works in the week

No couldnt test drive at the weekend as the Manager is the only one who can accompany & he wasnt working - so just did thorough inspection all round.
Aha - that makes sense with Ryan only offering a Mon - Fri drive. I emailed asking for a Sat, but didn't hear anything back. Thanks for the update.

That's much closer for me.Thanks very much for taking the time to post.

I test drove a Coast at Lookers Guildford a couple of weeks ago. Try them if still looking.

Thank you I will contact them - what did you think?
After a short test drive today in a California SE 180 - the difference between driving a Cali & a conversion I hired 3 weeks ago was extremely positive - this SE had the same cupboards & seats as the Coast - I was going to book a test drive in a Caravelle next but have just emailed Lookers Guildford re test driving their Coast.
Ive also asked Martin at Tonbridge if he knows what the October PCP rate is - if theyre going up £1000 from 1st October may as well put a deposit down this month!

Loved the test drive. Ended up ordering an Ocean as I can’t help myself when presented with gadgets! Didn’t order many extras, the comfort mattress was the key item.
Ordered this week, just hope Boris sorts out his fight with Europe as expecting a 2021 delivery!

Loved the test drive. Ended up ordering an Ocean as I can’t help myself when presented with gadgets! Didn’t order many extras, the comfort mattress was the key item.
Ordered this week, just hope Boris sorts out his fight with Europe as expecting a 2021 delivery!

Thats great to hear & how exciting for you gadgets & all !!
Can I ask did Guildford price match with drive the deals 10% discount?

You may need to shop around but Lookers were the only local garage to have a van to test drive. We test drove there but bought elsewhere in the end

Guildford had a Coast 2 weeks ago. Shame they haven’t got back to us in that time for either a quote for a new van or a price for ours as trade in...

Back