Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Demostrator Coast - Anywhere in the London/South Region

Yep test drove there but bought elsewhere
Eurovans, Crawley. The VW centres don’t know the California inside out but there are enough videos online. Eurovans were good to deal with.

Thank you I will contact them - what did you think?
After a short test drive today in a California SE 180 - the difference between driving a Cali & a conversion I hired 3 weeks ago was extremely positive - this SE had the same cupboards & seats as the Coast - I was going to book a test drive in a Caravelle next but have just emailed Lookers Guildford re test driving their Coast.
Ive also asked Martin at Tonbridge if he knows what the October PCP rate is - if theyre going up £1000 from 1st October may as well put a deposit down this month!
Go on.....go for it!!!

We have some Coast's on our rental fleet if anyone is interested in a "try before you buy" rental. Pick up from Portsmouth, Southampton or Poole. Check out https://www.kamperhire.co.uk/

Hi Jenny, just thought I would let you know that I made the trek to Guildford yesterday to take a look at their Silver Coast. So thought I would give you a quick update on what spec the van is, so you have an idea what to expect, should you decide to make the journey. I know its all individual choice, but I thought whoever had spec'ed the van, had made some 'interesting' choices considering the cost of them.
These are the options I spotted, but I am sure there might be some more that I missed.
Digital Cockpit £470
Pro Nav Media £1734
Silver Awning £228
Fog lights £426
2nd Drawer in Bench Seat £210
Mud Flaps £160
Comfort Matress £318
So a good £3.5k of options plus the £762 for the paint and there may well have been others added that I didn't spot.
An interesting configuration my opinion, adding big money media options that I would have thought many Coast buyers would have chosen their models to avoid the cost of, if that makes sense?
So a quick play with the configurator makes their Demo £59647, not allowing for other bits I may have missed.
When the Ocean starts at just over £63800 in a flat colour.

I'd be interested on your thought process if you travel to see it.

Hi Jenny, just thought I would let you know that I made the trek to Guildford yesterday to take a look at their Silver Coast. So thought I would give you a quick update on what spec the van is, so you have an idea what to expect, should you decide to make the journey. I know its all individual choice, but I thought whoever had spec'ed the van, had made some 'interesting' choices considering the cost of them.
These are the options I spotted, but I am sure there might be some more that I missed.
Digital Cockpit £470
Pro Nav Media £1734
Silver Awning £228
Fog lights £426
2nd Drawer in Bench Seat £210
Mud Flaps £160
Comfort Matress £318
So a good £3.5k of options plus the £762 for the paint and there may well have been others added that I didn't spot.
An interesting configuration my opinion, adding big money media options that I would have thought many Coast buyers would have chosen their models to avoid the cost of, if that makes sense?
So a quick play with the configurator makes their Demo £59647, not allowing for other bits I may have missed.
When the Ocean starts at just over £63800 in a flat colour.

I'd be interested on your thought process if you travel to see it.

Hi Stuart, oh thank you - yes Im hoping to test drive next Sunday awaiting call back from them - thats most interesting thank you & I agree it doesnt make sense with those options bringing it nearer the Ocean none of which Ive opted for other than the mattress - its fast become apparent that most dont have a clue! What I need to affirm from my visit/test drive is that Im happy with the 150 engine & the look of the interior cupboards & seats ! So from your visit are you going for a Coast or still undecided ?! Given the price increase on Thursday Im in discussions to lock in my order prior to my Sunday visit!

What I need to affirm from my visit/test drive is that Im happy with the 150 engine
We collected our 150ps T6.1 Ocean in early July and since then we have covered nearly 4,000 miles. My car is a 3 litre V6 diesel, with 4WD, it shifts. So I was very concerned how a 150 engine would move a 2.5 tonne van. It is highly, highly impressive. Yes, there will be those that say they "need" a 199ps engine, well you do not - you are driving a VAN!!! If your concern is a lack of power, well it is a diesel so it has the torque. We did 1,500 miles in France. It is very happy cruising at 80mph (130kmh) without issue. Coupled with DSG and ACC it is just brilliant. :thumb

Oh no! - I was kinda hoping you wouldn't ask, as I am sure my reply is bound to upset some people. It was my first "hands on" with a Cali and my first experience of a 6.1 too, as our previous experience had been of hiring a T6 conversion with a manual box.
So first the positives....
It drove really nice. I honestly think the 150PS would be ample for me and the DSG box appeared even smoother than the 9 speed auto of my SUV daily driver. Lovely driving position. Steering really light and make it feel quite "car like" to drive. So I wouldn't need another test drive of a 6.1. That box is perfectly ticked.

Now the bits that will upset some folks - so you all have my upfront apologies.
I was a little underwhelmed tbh and we now feel like we need to do some more homework. We just didn't like the look of it, either inside, or out and am struggling to put my finger on why, as I constantly admired many vans from afar. I wish they had left the dash alone. I think the comfort dash in the T6 looks much nicer than the 6.1 dash (Just personal preference I guess).The silver was certainly not working for me (Sorry silver Cali owners). And with no privacy glass, only seemed to make that worse for me too. Being able to see straight in (Especially the kitchen side) seemed to remove some of the Cali mystique. I am scared to say that neither of us liked the oak units either, it just wasn't working for us against the grey of the seats and the grey floor. Maybe the upgraded "yacht style" flooring would be a better match against those oak units, but that adds another £500 too.

So would I have bought that particular demonstrator, I am afraid not. The "wow" factor just didn't hit me. It just looked incredibly bland (For nearly £60k). All credit to the dealership, the lone Sunday salesman was busy, so we had about 90mins, unattended to open & close everything (Including the roof), so it was a really worthwhile exercise for sure. This particular van had dangling wires, where the control panel should be(Some troubleshooting going on, as there was a box of bits (Panel/surround/blind clips etc) floating around in the rear) with only 150 miles on the clock! I really hope it all goes back together nicely for the eventual owner. There were a few other niggles too, like the new/upgraded sliding wardrobe doors didn't close properly, without jumping off the rails. (Hopefully just a one off and not a 'feature'. And a drivers side windscreen blind that wouldn't sit nicely without rattling in my right eye/ear. That would have needed some attention too. Don't get me wrong, I know there will be issues with a vehicle of this complexity.

But where do we go from here? I am not too sure. As has been said many times before on here, used T6 Ocean (Around 1yr old) prices are still more money than a new Coast, so I think that makes it all a bit too pricey for us. I was really hoping that used prices would have started to come down a bit, now that the season had ended and the "staycation tax" had removed some of the premiums being paid. But I still am not seeing any evidence of that. We have CMC Reimo not far from us, so I intend to pay them a visit, just to take a look at alternatives with regards to interiors. But would I be brave enough to buy a conversion, I am not too sure.

Apologies to anyone offended with the above. I guess I have two tone Ocean ideas(preferably with a 5year warranty! I know I know), but with 3 year old Ocean or Coast money and as lots have said before, its all about the compromise. Being quite risk adverse, the search for us goes on.

I do hope that your trip to Guildford next Saturday helps with some of your questions. It was really useful to us for sure. Let us know how you get on. I for one will be curious to see how our thought processes compare.

~Braces for impact from those that I have offended

Oh no! - I was kinda hoping you wouldn't ask, as I am sure my reply is bound to upset some people. It was my first "hands on" with a Cali and my first experience of a 6.1 too, as our previous experience had been of hiring a T6 conversion with a manual box.
It drove really nice. I honestly think the 150PS would be ample for me and the DSG box appeared even smoother than the 9 speed auto of my SUV daily driver. Lovely driving position. Steering really light and make it feel quite "car like" to drive. So I wouldn't need another test drive of a 6.1. That box is perfectly ticked.

I was a little underwhelmed tbh and we now feel like we need to do some more homework. We just didn't like the look of it, either inside, or out and am struggling to put my finger on why, as I constantly admired many vans from afar. I wish they had left the dash alone. I think the comfort dash in the T6 looks much nicer than the 6.1 dash (Just personal preference I guess).The silver was certainly not working for me (Sorry silver Cali owners). And with no privacy glass, only seemed to make that worse for me too. Being able to see straight in (Especially the kitchen side) seemed to remove some of the Cali mystique. I am scared to say that neither of us liked the oak units either, it just wasn't working for us against the grey of the seats and the grey floor. Maybe the upgraded "yacht style" flooring would be a better match against those oak units, but that adds another £500 too.

So would I have bought that particular demonstrator, I am afraid not. The "wow" factor just didn't hit me. It just looked incredibly bland (For nearly £60k). All credit to the dealership, the lone Sunday salesman was busy, so we had about 90mins, unattended to open & close everything (Including the roof), so it was a really worthwhile exercise for sure. This particular van had dangling wires, where the control panel should be(Some troubleshooting going on, as there was a box of bits (Panel/surround/blind clips etc) floating around in the rear) with only 150 miles on the clock! I really hope it all goes back together nicely for the eventual owner. There were a few other niggles too, like the new/upgraded sliding wardrobe doors didn't close properly, without jumping off the rails. (Hopefully just a one off and not a 'feature'. And a drivers side windscreen blind that wouldn't sit nicely without rattling in my right eye/ear. That would have needed some attention too. Don't get me wrong, I know there will be issues with a vehicle of this complexity.

But where do we go from here? I am not too sure. As has been said many times before on here, used T6 Ocean (Around 1yr old) prices are still more money than a new Coast, so I think that makes it all a bit too pricey for us. I was really hoping that used prices would have started to come down a bit, now that the season had ended and the "staycation tax" had removed some of the premiums being paid. But I still am not seeing any evidence of that. We have CMC Reimo not far from us, so I intend to pay them a visit, just to take a look at alternatives with regards to interiors. But would I be brave enough to buy a conversion, I am not too sure.

Apologies to anyone offended with the above. I guess I have two tone Ocean ideas(preferably with a 5year warranty! I know I know), but with 3 year old Ocean or Coast money and as lots have said before, its all about the compromise. Being quite risk adverse, the search for us goes on.

I do hope that your trip to Guildford next Saturday helps with some of your questions. It was really useful to us for sure. Let us know how you get on. I for one will be curious to see how our thought processes compare.

Hi Stuart,
Thats really interesting to hear because ..... when I saw the brand new Ocean at Loughton also in Silver I was somewhat underwhelmed too! I didnt like the colour, no black out windows either, didnt like the seats or the cupboards, didnt like the gadget upgrades, or electric roof. But that only reaffirmed the Coast was for me & thats why I went to look at a VW Cali SE at the weekend - that was 8 years old, 180 engine, 4 wheel drive, in grey, low mileage but £42k ! I loved it - the colour, the drive, the cupboards, the seats, everything about it far excelled the drive of the conversion we hired, apart from the price on 8 year old vehicle when I can buy brand new (without 4 wheel drive) for £10k more. It is all about doing your homework as its a lot of money - I too have considered the 1-2 year old Oceans but being quite fussy! think the new Coast is a better option - I have added the vinyl floor as an option & the panaramic window, Ive also added the climatronic & comfort lights but Im not convinced about these 2 things tbh.
Im not looking at conversions at all now as its the Cali I desire - not only from a resale point of view, but the warranty, location of vw garages countrywide, etc plus Id never be able to decide what to have !!
So yes I totally get what you didnt like but I think the big draw is making the van personal to your taste - that & the pop up roof which I absolutely love without a doubt!!
Keep posting as its interesting comparing notes.
I have a test drive booked for this Sunday - yikes!
I have the quote ready to sign - yikes!!

We collected our 150ps T6.1 Ocean in early July and since then we have covered nearly 4,000 miles. My car is a 3 litre V6 diesel, with 4WD, it shifts. So I was very concerned how a 150 engine would move a 2.5 tonne van. It is highly, highly impressive. Yes, there will be those that say they "need" a 199ps engine, well you do not - you are driving a VAN!!! If your concern is a lack of power, well it is a diesel so it has the torque. We did 1,500 miles in France. It is very happy cruising at 80mph (130kmh) without issue. Coupled with DSG and ACC it is just brilliant. :thumb
Thats reassuring to hear thank you. Im almost there just need the final piece of the puzzle!

Oh yes forgot to say Stuart because the Manager said to call before visiting in case theyd sold the Coast I asked how much it was & he said £62500 K

Thats reassuring to hear thank you. Im almost there just need the final piece of the puzzle!
Personally I would get your order in today/tomorrow before the price goes up another £1,000. You can always easily pull out and get your deposit back without any hassle - it did the same on two nearly new Oceans. However the price will only go up the longer you wait!

Oh yes forgot to say Stuart because the Manager said to call before visiting in case theyd sold the Coast I asked how much it was & he said £62500 K
Wow - It obviously had some more boxes ticked than I realised. £7.5k of extras on a Coast seems like an odd combo. All in my humble opinion of course.

Wow - It obviously had some more boxes ticked than I realised. £7.5k of extras on a Coast seems like an odd combo. All in my humble opinion of course.
It has the heated windscreen & heater seats I believe which may not have been obvious upon your inspection - also guess because its on the forecourt & available now, more uninformed purchasers may be tempted.

...Given the price increase on Thursday Im in discussions to lock in my order prior to my Sunday visit!
I definitely would just order now, it’s only a £500 deposit. You’ll easily be able to add or delete any options after your test drive this weekend. You are going to lose out if you have to pay the price increase. We “dithered” for ages and almost didn’t do it at all, but we ordered in the end and it’s a nice feeling now.

Braces for impact from those that I have offended
Nothing offensive in there; just your reflections on how you found that van. Thumbs up for the observations on rattles and "improvements" that may not be.

Nothing offensive in there; just your reflections on how you found that van. Thumbs up for the observations on rattles and "improvements" that may not be.
During the test drive, my wife says "there is a rattle back there that is driving me mad".
Armed with knowledge learnt from many hours reading through this forum, I pulled over, saying "that will be the table not stowed properly!" 2 mins and it was sorted. Felt unjustifiably smug ! :cool:

I definitely would just order now, it’s only a £500 deposit. You’ll easily be able to add or delete any options after your test drive this weekend. You are going to lose out if you have to pay the price increase. We “dithered” for ages and almost didn’t do it at all, but we ordered in the end and it’s a nice feeling now.
Thanks yes I agree but its a £1000.00 deposit although Martin confirmed if I cancelled I would get it back but yes balanced against the £1k price increase it does seem the sensible option.

During the test drive, my wife says "there is a rattle back there that is driving me mad".
Armed with knowledge learnt from many hours reading through this forum, I pulled over, saying "that will be the table not stowed properly!" 2 mins and it was sorted. Felt unjustifiably smug ! :cool:
We noticed the rattle too but couldn't work out where it came from! The sales guy just said the van hadn't been set up yet!

We were going to buy a Coast but in the end we have ordered an Ocean. Nothing wrong with the Coast at all, just personal choice for some of the extras you get on the Ocean. I also felt that x years down the road, the 2nd hand price difference between the Coast and Ocean would be closer making the Ocean easier to sell / trade in.
For the extras, we added the following largely from recommendation:
2 tone colour (Purely our choice!!!)
Mudflaps
Comfort bed
Awning housing in silver (as the top half of the van is white)

We were going to buy a Coast but in the end we have ordered an Ocean. Nothing wrong with the Coast at all, just personal choice for some of the extras you get on the Ocean. I also felt that x years down the road, the 2nd hand price difference between the Coast and Ocean would be closer making the Ocean easier to sell / trade in.
For the extras, we added the following largely from recommendation:
2 tone colour (Purely our choice!!!)
Mudflaps
Comfort bed
Awning housing in silver (as the top half of the van is white)
Nice ! Love the 2 tones. Green or copper?

Green. I liked the Copper but the other 1/2 liked the green!!!
The dealer did mention to get a white one and a professional wrap for the lower half, then you can choose whatever colour.
I do think the white/green looks great, my wife has far better taste than me

Back