Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Disabling the alarm on the Cali for ferry crossing

We’ve just returned from France and faced the same problem regarding the ferry, and we have a 2012 van so hopefully our solution will work for you. When you park up on the ferry close all the doors except the drivers door. Lean in and press the switch on the B pillar so that it turns from red to orange (as mentioned above). Close the drivers door. Press the lock button on the remote twice in quick succession. You will notice that the internal lock button on the door is now depressed but the light is not flashing so the doors are locked but the alarm is not set. No flat battery when you return to the car deck! Hope it works for you.
Many thanks Bill-will try your suggestions next time

I didn't think the B Pillar button deactivated the deadlocks, just the internal sensors and anti tow. That's unless you push the B Pillar button and double press the remote.
Try it, deadlocking you hear 2 clunks.

Try it, deadlocking you hear 2 clunks.
Maybe I'm misreading your post!
This is what my 2013 T5 does ......
B pillar orange ( alarm off), one click on key fob, double "clunk" from lock = alarm off deadlocks on.
B pillar orange, double click on key fob, double "clunk" followed by third (deadlock coming off) = alarm off deadlocks off.

Maybe I'm misreading your post!
This is what my 2013 T5 does ......
B pillar orange ( alarm off), one click on key fob, double "clunk" from lock = alarm off deadlocks on.
B pillar orange, double click on key fob, double "clunk" followed by third (deadlock coming off) = alarm off deadlocks off.
On yours yes but my16 both operations result in deadlocks off.

So, I'm very keen to understand all of the above, but in the context of my van which is a T5 SE from 2006. I've only had it a couple of weeks and only just finding out about various aspects but need to get up to speed as I'm off to France (on a ferry) shortly. All my original manuals are in German and I've yet to get hold of English language versions (with the exception of the "Cali user manual 2009" I downloaded from the forum) but regardless of that I reckon that my van doesn't have the B pillar button you refer to. Any advice welcome. It's clear how to lock the doors overnight whilst camping but with the ferry trip looming it's the alarm I'm concerned about..

This discussion has turned what I thought was a clear understanding of the locking and alarm of my T6 Beach on its head!

I had thought there were five possible states for the central locking.

#1 unlocked
#2 locked without deadlock or alarm
#3 locked without deadlock, alarm set
#4 deadlocked without alarm
#5 deadlocked with alarm

#1 and #5 are easy.
#2 is a double fob click or B pilar and single fob click or driver's door rocker switch.
#4 is what I tried but failed to achieve on a ferry crossing, and is what I would like when leaving the van with a dog. Can this be done with #2 followed by a single lock with the key in the lock cylinder?
#3 Is it possible to lock the van with the alarm set but without the deadlock?

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Last edited:
I had a 2005 T5 van conversion by Bilbo with the alarm fitted by VW. The alarm switch was a small circular button with a flashing red light on the dash just to the left of the steering wheel. To disable the alarm entailed pressing this button for 3 or 4 seconds after the ignition was switched off and then locking the doors with a single press of the remote. This always worked even with the windows open and the dog inside. I assume the deadlocks were operative but our concern was only that the alarm did not go off. I believe the alarm light on the dash continued to flash. Not taken on ferries.

This is also how you set the alarm system to 'camping' mode to lock doors while you sleep or leave the van with the roof up If you don't already know this - hope I'm not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs). Just remember to open the door with whatever method you locked with the night before or you'll wake the whole campsite ;>)

You are correct. As Loz has confirmed later on this thread. The interior button on the pillar changes from red "full lock down" to amber "camping mode" as you suggested. Camping mode = roof up, ferry crossing or sleeping.

The lock on the door, near the mirror control, is only used when snoozing in a layby or similar to prevent a quick open and grab.

.. message ends..

This discussion has turned what I thought was a clear understanding of the locking and alarm of my T6 Beach on its head!

I had thought there were five possible states for the central locking.

#1 unlocked
#2 locked without deadlock or alarm
#3 locked without deadlock, alarm set
#4 deadlocked without alarm
#5 deadlocked with alarm

#1 and #5 are easy.
#2 is a double fob click or B pilar and single fob click or driver's door rocker switch.
#4 is what I tried but failed to achieve on a ferry crossing, and is what I would like when leaving the van with a dog. Can this be done with #2 followed by a single lock with the key in the lock cylinder?
#3 Is it possible to lock the van with the alarm set but without the deadlock?

The MY18 Ocean I just picked up has a new (to me) feature that my M17 didn't do (unless I missed it)
If I hold the lock button not only does it close the windows but it now folds up the mirrors. It did cross my mind thou that if I did this does this put this into #2 mode.

The MY18 Ocean I just picked up has a new (to me) feature that my M17 didn't do (unless I missed it)
If I hold the lock button not only does it close the windows but it now folds up the mirrors. It did cross my mind thou that if I did this does this put this into #2 mode.
That is “comfort closing” no dffect on the alarm.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu[/QUOTE]
On yours yes but my16 both operations result in deadlocks off.
I have to say I had assumed the T6 door pillar button had the same effect as the T5, but apparently not (just been checking) and the alarm and deadlocking are disabled using this button - not what I wanted really. If the alarms off, dogs will be in, windows open a little (no, not in this weather - not left in) so want the deadlocking.
Any VAGCOM changes that can be made @Loz?

I have to say I had assumed the T6 door pillar button had the same effect as the T5, but apparently not (just been checking) and the alarm and deadlocking are disabled using this button - not what I wanted really. If the alarms off, dogs will be in, windows open a little (no, not in this weather - not left in) so want the deadlocking.
Any VAGCOM changes that can be made @Loz?[/QUOTE]

Deadlocked without alarm is what I want too when leaving the dog in the car with windows left slightly open. I would not have left our van in some of the places I have left it had I known the doors were not deadlocked.

However, I think it may be possible to deadlock without the alarm, but I'd need to do a physical check to be sure.

Double fob lock followed by a single lock with the key in the driver's door cylinder.

769C0F46-A832-4A86-A2C6-7538D2B51661.jpeg
As stated above, pressing the B pillar button so that it’s amber (rather than red) followed by normal key fob lock is good for ferries in turning off the tilt/anti tow sensors.

You can tell it has worked by there being just one clunk on locking rather than two distinct sounds. You can also tell by looking at your van from the bar when loads of other alarms are going off...

What I hadn’t realised is that it will remain in this mode until manually put back to ‘red’ on the B pillar, going through normal locking cycles doesn’t reset it. The manual wasn’t clear on this as far as I could see. Adding further confusion is that the B pillar light changes from amber to red after you have closed the drivers door...

With some ferry crossings on a forthcoming trip just wanted to check with T6.1 owners about disabling the alarm. As I understand it, a double click on the keyfob is all that’s required. Correct?

With the driver's door open, press the button on the inside of the B pillar so it glows orange. Close the door and lock the van with the fob in the normal manner.

There is a way to disable the alarm using the key in the lock, but last time I tried I managed to set the alarm and disable the dead lock!

This seems different to my 2008 T5. I press it once and it goes orange (I see this as waking the button up!) and then I press a second time it clearly goes yellow.
Then shut door and lock with key button as normal.
What happens if you press yours twice?

This seems different to my 2008 T5. I press it once and it goes orange (I see this as waking the button up!) and then I press a second time it clearly goes yellow.
My 2013 T5.1……
all doors shut
open drivers door
push B pillar switch to turn it orange
(B pillar switch can be toggled between red and orange)
shut drivers door
one push on remote.
Red = internal/tow alarm active
Orange = deactivated

If I double click all I see is the red LED on the drivers door flash ( looks just the same as when i single click).

I thought it flashed up on the central display that safe lock was activated?

My 2013 T5.1……
all doors shut
open drivers door
push B pillar switch to turn it orange
(B pillar switch can be toggled between red and orange)
shut drivers door
one push on remote.
Red = internal/tow alarm active
Orange = deactivated
I’m wondering if what we are disagreeing about is what you call red I call orange and what you call orange I call yellow. I think that’s a possibility.
I am definitely pressing it twice but possibly from side door. Perhaps opening drivers door turns it red (what I call orange) and then pressing turns orange (which I call yellow)??

I’m wondering if what we are disagreeing about is what you call red I call orange and what you call orange I call yellow. I think that’s a possibility.
I am definitely pressing it twice but possibly from side door. Perhaps opening drivers door turns it red (what I call orange) and then pressing turns orange (which I call yellow)??
In the T6 the B pillar button only changed colour when pressed with driver’s door open. Red / orange. Only 2 colours.

My van is 2008 yours is much much newer?
Ours is a MY08. Our rocker button on the lower drivers side B pillar rocks up AND down. One way deactivates the internal monitoring (so you can leave roof up without wind blowing stuff around and setting alarm of) and the other way deactivates the Anti-Tow alarm. You can deactivate one or both at the same time. Check your Owners manual for more detail. Our method is; close all doors, then open drivers door, lean in and adjust rocker switch to deactivate what you want, close door, lock with key remote as per normal. When you next open the door it will cancel your alarm deactivation setting.

Even in California Chris’ video on ‘security’ he refers to a switch on the B Pillar but in my 6.1 there’s no such switch - so i’m none the wiser.
I think it’s a double click on the fob but have asked the dealer to confirm.

Last edited:
Back