Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Disabling the alarm on the Cali for ferry crossing

Even in California Chris’ video on ‘security’ he refers to a switch on the B Pillar but in my 6.1 there’s no such switch - so i’m none the wiser.
I think it’s a double click on the fob but have asked the dealer to confirm.

You realise it’s at the bottom of the B pillar?

You realise it’s at the bottom of the B pillar?
Not on a 2021MY onwards T6.1, although early ones still have it.
If there’s no button it should have been replaced with an option on the overhead control panel.

Not on a 2021MY onwards T6.1, although early ones still have it.
If there’s no button it should have been replaced with an option on the overhead control panel.
Not on the overhead panel - it's on the main control panel. Can't remember the menu tree, but it's there somewhere.

Not on the overhead panel - it's on the main control panel. Can't remember the menu tree, but it' there somewhere.
Overhead panel as well by selecting ‘camping’ mode. Not a separate button.

Overhead panel as well by selecting ‘camping’ mode. Not a separate button.
That's interesting. Are you sure? Not seen it documented anywhere, but then again, my documentation is in German!!

That's interesting. Are you sure? Not seen it documented anywhere, but then again, my documentation is in German!!
You could be right. I can’t find it in the manual either but thought I had read it on the forum somewhere…

Alisons Post from March confirmed that the manual for a T6.1 without the B pillar button states a double press of the lock button on the fob disables safe lock (deadlocking) it states elsewhere that if safe lock is disabled the alarm anti tow & movement sensors are also turned off. Extract from manual is in the attachment

My T6.1 which has got the B pillar button, says exactly the same just on a different page.

Therefore it should be safe to say a double press on the lock button turns off the alarm for all T6.1 vans without the need to dive into menus / control panels etc.

Pages 66 and 67 in the T6.1 multivan edition (dated 11.2020)

View attachment 76007

Now this is interesting. From a previous thread, the menu tree for disabling the alarm is:

1. Menu - choose vehicle.
2. Choose settings (bottom right hand symbol)
3. Choose opening and closing
4. Select or deselect ‘interior monitoring’

I checked my van, and I'm sure that I used to have that menu item, but it's definitely not there any more. Can someone else with a MY21 check theirs?

Alisons Post from March confirmed that the manual for a T6.1 without the B pillar button states a double press of the lock button on the fob disables safe lock (deadlocking) it states elsewhere that if safe lock is disabled the alarm anti tow & movement sensors are also turned off. Extract from manual is in the attachment

My T6.1 which has got the B pillar button, says exactly the same just on a different page.

Therefore it should be safe to say a double press on the lock button turns off the alarm for all T6.1 vans without the need to dive into menus / control panels etc.
So, if I read this correctly, 'ferry mode' is: Lock the van with using the key in the lock cylinder, then double press the lock button on the key fob.

All alarms now deactivated.

So, if I read this correctly, 'ferry mode' is: Lock the van with using the key in the lock cylinder, then double press the lock button on the key fob.

I’m now pretty sure the double click on the key-fob is the way to go, but might lock my wife in the van and ask her to jump about just to be sure :)

On a slightly related theme. If you want to fold in your mirrors on a ferry and since a double click on the fob is needed to disable Safelock. Then I guess a long press on the fob to fold the mirrors is not an option. So, my procedure will be to fold the mirrors in, using the switch on the drivers door, before leaving the vehicle and then executing the double click :)

No just double press on the fob.

This thread reads like a game of Mornington Crescent. VW seen to have had fun with an arcane collection of ways to lock a van over the years.

I thought there were loads of locking options to go with the myriad of ways to lock:
1. Locked and deadlocked with alarm set.
2. Locked and deadlocked no alarm set.
3. Locked no deadlock with alarm set
4. Locked no deadlock no alarm set

Plus four more others without setting the anti tow alarm.

Alas no. There are only two options:
1. Locked with deadlock and alarm
2. Locked no deadlock no alarm.

Unless someone knows differently…

I thought there were loads of locking options to go with the myriad of ways to lock:
1. Locked and deadlocked with alarm set.
2. Locked and deadlocked no alarm set.
3. Locked no deadlock with alarm set
4. Locked no deadlock no alarm set

Plus four more others without setting the anti tow alarm.

Alas no. There are only two options:
1. Locked with deadlock and alarm
2. Locked no deadlock no alarm.

Unless someone knows differently…
TBH I think those 2 options are all I would need although ‘locked/deadlocked/no alarm’ might be useful.
I suppose there’s a very slim chance of a scallywag breaking a window and letting him/herself into the vehicle to nick your stuff when i.e. on a ferry, but unlikely.

TBH I think those 2 options are all I would need although ‘locked/deadlocked/no alarm’ might be useful.
I suppose there’s a very slim chance of a scallywag breaking a window and letting him/herself into the vehicle to nick your stuff when i.e. on a ferry, but unlikely.

I often stop at the supermarket on the way back from a dog walk. I’m immediately reminded when I’ve left the van deadlocked. And while Meg would give a welcome lick of the face of any scrote who broke into the van, a scrote casing vans to break into won’t know that. A dog in a Cali is nearly as good as an alarm.

I often stop at the supermarket on the way back from a dog walk. I’m immediately reminded when I’ve left the van deadlocked. And while Meg would give a welcome lick of the face of any scrote who broke into the van, a scrote casing vans to break into won’t know that. A dog in a Cali is nearly as good as an alarm.
Unless it’s the dog they want to nick!

Re: 6.1
OK so have tested the ‘double click’ locking on the fob with me inside the van and then jumping about like a lunatic. No alarm triggered so feel confident now about forthcoming ferry crossings :)

Re: 6.1
OK so have tested the ‘double click’ locking on the fob with me inside the van and then jumping about like a lunatic. No alarm triggered so feel confident now about forthcoming ferry crossings :)
Forgot to mention, that I also tested with a single click on the fob. The alarm was triggered AND WeConnect sent me an email regarding the anti theft alarm being triggered :)
Reassuring.

Forgot to mention, that I also tested with a single click on the fob. The alarm was triggered AND WeConnect sent me an email regarding the anti theft alarm being triggered :)
Reassuring.
OK next test, work out how to deadlock it & disable the alarm at the same time. I don't think its possible. This would be my preferred option when leaving the van on site unattended with the roof up.

OK next test, work out how to deadlock it & disable the alarm at the same time. I don't think its possible. This would be my preferred option when leaving the van on site unattended with the roof up.
That is a desirable option but I think you’re right Andy that it’s not possible?
Have you played with Camping Mode and deadlocking?

That is a desirable option but I think you’re right Andy that it’s not possible?
Have you played with Camping Mode and deadlocking?
No, but as far as I can see the camping mode is all to do with lighting rather than locking.

Back