Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Disappointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toffeeman1

Toffeeman1

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I joined the Forum few weeks ago with every expectation of being enthused to go out and place an order for a Cali Ocean but I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that I can't justify spending upwards of £50k on a product that has so many inbuilt faults added to which the dealer network seems to be a bit "patchy" to say the least. There are many minor warranty issues which one can accept (can you?) but there are some serious faults which VW seem unwilling to acknowledge and address (roof!).
I've not made up my mind where to turn next and what options are but for now it's not a Cali.

Thats the trouble with a forum like this, the posts you read are about what has gone wrong.

Those of us that have had almost no problems don't tend to post much.
In 4 years & 50,000 miles I've had a rear brake light lens falling off which was subsequently replaced & upgraded under warranty.

This forum is a gathering place for a large proportion of California owners so you are always going to hear about the faults.

If 100% of a particular conversion were faulty you probably wouldn't ever hear about it as there would be nowhere for them to get to together on line.

If you take the base van it appears to be inherently reliable - there are hundreds of thousands out there in daily use yet the impression you get from the internet is that the roadsides should be littered with broken down ones.

The only major problem appears to be roof corrosion on some vans. The oldest T5 are now 10 years old & I've yet to see one with an actual hole.
The transit based motorhome I had previously had an advisory about rust on the chassis at 3 years.

Give it a few years & i'm sure if the roof problem becomes really widespread there will be someone offering an aftermarket solution.

If you can find a viable alternative with even a tenth of the dealer back up that we have please let me know.

There was someone posting yesterday with roof problems in a different country 100s of mile from home. The local dealer can fit him in a few days time. Thats not perfect service by a long way but still miles better than you would get in a van done by a small converter.

Good post and I completely agree. I’m going to be looking at my roof in a few days as the tape has arrived. Worst case scenario I shall be grumpy if I find even a blemish, but will it really change anything. Nope! Which is why I bought one.

Mike

Thats the trouble with a forum like this, the posts you read are about what has gone wrong.

Those of us that have had almost no problems don't tend to post much.
In 4 years & 50,000 miles I've had a rear brake light lens falling off which was subsequently replaced & upgraded under warranty.

This forum is a gathering place for a large proportion of California owners so you are always going to hear about the faults.

If 100% of a particular conversion were faulty you probably wouldn't ever hear about it as there would be nowhere for them to get to together on line.

If you take the base van it appears to be inherently reliable - there are hundreds of thousands out there in daily use yet the impression you get from the internet is that the roadsides should be littered with broken down ones.

The only major problem appears to be roof corrosion on some vans. The oldest T5 are now 10 years old & I've yet to see one with an actual hole.
The transit based motorhome I had previously had an advisory about rust on the chassis at 3 years.

Give it a few years & i'm sure if the roof problem becomes really widespread there will be someone offering an aftermarket solution.

If you can find a viable alternative with even a tenth of the dealer back up that we have please let me know.

There was someone posting yesterday with roof problems in a different country 100s of mile from home. The local dealer can fit him in a few days time. Thats not perfect service by a long way but still miles better than you would get in a van done by a small converter.

Well said.

It is a sad fact of life that Forums for consumer products tend to attract a negative outlook which is not representative of the whole. Don't be too put off so easily.
We have had a Cali from new for just 18 months now and nothing has gone wrong, needed a dealer visit or a warranty claim. In 2017 we spent 72 nights away in our Cali across eight countries - no issues. I am 64 years young (and very fussy, read OCD, about my cars!) and do not regret for one second spending just a tad over 50k for our "Van". It has opened up a whole new life-style that at my age I never knew existed or even expected to find.
(P.S. Just about to set off on a road trip to the Arctic Circle and back with only an out-going and an in-coming ferry booked!)

Last edited:
I joined the Forum few weeks ago with every expectation of being enthused to go out and place an order for a Cali Ocean but I've reluctantly come to the conclusion that I can't justify spending upwards of £50k on a product that has so many inbuilt faults added to which the dealer network seems to be a bit "patchy" to say the least. There are many minor warranty issues which one can accept (can you?) but there are some serious faults which VW seem unwilling to acknowledge and address (roof!).
I've not made up my mind where to turn next and what options are but for now it's not a Cali.
As stated, the reality is for every moan there are hundreds of happy owners. I am on my fifth VW and would not own another camper. I have owned Mercedes in the past (3 to be exact and would not return. Also their dealers are the exact same as VW).
Truth is most faults are minimal and easily rectified. A good dealer relationship does make the difference.

f you can find a viable alternative with even a tenth of the dealer back up that we have please let me know.

Agree.... All products/vehicles have issues of some sort. "Advertising" leads us to expect perfection, but the reality is the more complex the product, to more likely faults can occur. No-one wants to be in the small number of "failed customers" but on average you have to acknowledge some people experience problems whereas the majority don't.

Good afternoon,

I agree, the more I read here the more I think all Californias will fall apart within 1-2 years.

Undoubtedly the California is a complex machine, with hundreds of options to fail. But as it was said before, in many post are only the problems mentioned, which sometimes scares the living daylight out of me.

But there are other wonderful post on this forum. I love the post with pictures of the van out on the road. Some are absolutely brilliant.

If I am a wee bit overwhelmed I look for those and say to myself that's what is all about .

Regards ,
Eberhard

@Toffeeman1
All the above posts say it all.
You are however right to feel a little disappointed but I have used forums from Audi, Range Rover, Porsche and BMW.

None of them give me a more comfortable feeling than this one about dealers, issues or reliability.

I have done over 50,000 miles in two california vehicles.

I have had roof corrosion on neither and would not be particularly bothered if I did.

I have had one aggravating warranty issue which was charging the leisure batteries from hook-up. It did not stop me using the vehicle in any way, just an irritant.

I have had a couple of niggling warranty issues that were resolved by the dealer with just one visit, normally at service time.

I have had over 300 nights sleeping comfortably in the most versatile and competent vehicle that I have ever owned.

I have been to places, stopped in places, that made me feel privileged to be alive and could not have done that without a 4WD, <2m high vehicle.

I have driven long, long sections of autoroutes wafting along in sublime quiet comfort , and in a camper that the only rattles produced was from my own bad stowing of items, my experience in the past of campers and motorhomes were wafting along in something that made more assorted sounds than the London Symphony Orchestra.

I simply consider, after 5 years and two vehicles, I could not have bettered my experience with any other vehicle and my life has been enriched way beyond my expectations when I first ordered a California.

That, simply, is the way it is.

It is a sad fact of life that Forums for consumer products tend to attract a negative outlook which is not representative of the whole. Don't be too put off so easily.
We have had a Cali from new for just 18 months now and nothing has gone wrong, needed a dealer visit or a warranty claim. In 2017 we spent 72 nights away in our Cali across eight countries - no issues. I am 64 years young (and very fussy, read OCD, about my cars!) and do not regret for one second spending just a tad over 50k for our "Van". It has opened up a whole new life-style that at my age I never knew existed or even expected to find.
(P.S. Just about to set off on a road trip to the Arctic Circle and back with only an out-going and an in-coming ferry booked!)

That is a trip I plan to do, probably next year. Could you let me know about the ferries? My brother did it on a motorbike two years ago and went via Holland. North Cape would be good too!

I’m not going to change your mind, it’s made up by the sound of it. But don’t expect the Forums for any other makes to be any different, even the “ new to the U.K. “ Marco Polo by Mercedes.

Land Rover never solved the Galvanic Corrosion On the Defender in 70 years. VW have only had 17 years so far.

85k since 2012 in 2 vans.
Happy with both van and really enjoy the lifestyle they have given us. YES, warranty claims and repairs. Also happy with dealership service.
If you have decided not to buy you will never know what you have missed out on.

You will always find problems with any vehicle you go for the difference with VW enthusiasts and this forum is that you will always get help and advice from a bunch of people who are happy to help and who have had these vehicles for years I understand where you are coming from as it is a lot of money but you will find no better vehicle and people even if you settle for a conversion it's the lifestyle and friendships you make that matters :thumb

Some balance definitely needed, so I suggest you go on YouTube or somewhere and look at all the cool adventures people are having rather than wondering about all the small things might go wrong.

Life is very short. Stop worrying and crack on would be my advice.

serious faults which VW seem unwilling to acknowledge and address (roof!).
If it's roof corrosion you mean, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm on my 3rd Cali, known about the problem for a long time but it hasn't put me off, it's only cosmetic. First van was 2010 and just had a few small blisters, second was 2014 and there was nothing apparent when we sold it a couple of months ago.

As with any other modern vehicle, they are very complicated and things do go wrong, so it's important to make sure you have a long warranty with the vehicle you buy.

You will be missing out on a lot of enjoyment if you decide against a Cali, they are brilliant vehicles and hold their value extremely well.

Had my van just over a year now and absolutely love it. The only downside is that I haven't had the time to make the most of it but I'm putting that right this year. No issues experienced. Haven't checked for roof corrosion and have no intention of doing so unless it becomes a problem.

If you haven't already done so, go out and hire one for a while and I'm sure you'll change your mind.

If you'r not happy with the thought of spending your cash on a Cali witch is no better or worse build than the average campervan ...walk away from it .
Regets will come later ;)

This forum has +13.500 registred members , if only half of them actually owns a Cali how many do you guess are unhappy with theire purchase ? All carbrands have issues , some of those issues get enlarged on forums

We've hammered our brand new Cali, now 15 months old. 50,000 Km in 32 different countries, slept in by four people and a dog for ~250 nights. Awning wound out for more time than wound in, and in all weathers.

Problems:
1. Broken seat belt clip
2. Loose door handle
3. Puncture (just the one)
4. Under car trim damaged by an olive branch
5. Door seal tearing
6. Outdoor chair rivet breaking
7. Safety net hoop breaking
8. Saggy awning canopy

These are really minor things.

We have not suffered any mechanical or electrical failures, unless you want to count the time I flattened the battery by leaving the ignition on and air conditioning running with the front windows and sliding door open.

I reckon that's pretty outstanding for 50,000 Km, and 1,250 nights' sleep.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

So what are you going to buy instead?......because what ever it is I'll bet that it too will have it's issues as well, all vehicles do. Yes, the Cali has some reported faults but most owners will never experience them. I've owned two so far and both were/are fault free. If you read any forum you'll hear stories of gloom and doom but don't let that put you off. As for sales and servicing, there are good dealers, indifferent ones and I am sure, some bad ones. However, this forum could advise you where to buy and where to have your van serviced. Some dealers are excellent.
It's your choice but for what it's worth you are missing out on a fantastic vehicle that will change your life.

I think that the fact that many of us go on to upgrade to a second, third or even fourth Cali says it all really.......

Mind I made sure that I took out the extended warranty this time :):):):)

Last edited:
It’s an awesome bit of kit. You don’t need all the options to have fun. Life’s short. This weekend I took my daughter away for one night camping with the kayak on the roof and the bikes on the rack. We drove for 50 miles pitched up next to a lake with fish and chips sat at the table that’s included in the door and chairs stored in the tail gate.

E53DBBDC-9757-40CA-B526-03A2EC2307FA.jpeg

We woke to a view that money can’t buy (well £25.00 camping fee) and I made a cuppa tea whilst looking out at my daughter paddling in the lake.

5A9E3259-FE83-4F83-8F66-C09A4D4C929F.jpeg

We took the kayak out for a while, rode into town on the bikes for an ice cream then came back and fired up the BBQ. Drinks ready, nice and cold from the fridge.

I kept pinching myself what a great 27 hours we had together Dad and daughter time. All possible because we bought a California Ocean.

6DC3C0BD-9262-45F0-BE9F-6E4CE740CA59.jpeg

So many campers asked me about it whilst we were there. They all thought it was one of the coolest van on the site.

2 years. 16000 miles, 70 sleeps. 0 faults.

What more can I say! Don’t put it off.... Happy memories from the weekend. Priceless!

Last bit of advice. I hired one before I bought mine and was hooked. As I’ve owned it for longer I gradually found better ways to pack it and fit our gear in.

Hire one for a long weekend and see how you get on....

I think that the fact that many of us go on to upgrade to a second, third or even fourth Cali says it all really.......

Mind I made sure that I took out the extended warranty this time :):):):)

I’ve bought another, after vowing never again...
To be fair, mine has been pretty reliable and my only beef was roof corrosion.

I haven’t seen a conversion yet that is as well thought out and planned as a California.
Thus I’m just changing into a newer Cali. Because simply put. There is nothing on the market of the same standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back