Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Disappointingly VERY WEAK AUX-HEATING in T6.1

Yes it is a mode of the aux heater on the control panel.

I’m not sure exactly what it does but it saved us having to crack a window while sleeping to circulate air
I can’t remember where I read it - it would be one of the vw publications, the ventilation mode is nothing to do with the auxiliary heater, instead it uses the main dashboard heating fan and vents to circulate fresh air whilst the ignition is off.
The only connection with the auxiliary heater is that it’s in the same menu on the control panel.

Hi original poster here...
...and no "6.1 heating" news unfortunately.
I´ve exhausted every avenue, but no luck.
The dealer says the 6.1 gives a lower heating output by default by VW (with no way of changing it) as a way of preventing setting fire to duvets and a like. In othe words: Suck it up ! Hmmmmm...
Sound like just a bad excuse for poor performance to me.
Good luck with keeping Your warm by alternative means
PS! Supe Cosy "T5 SAUNA" snapshots....
Amazing what nonsense some dealers spout. Did hot air ever set light to a duvet?
Don't suppose s/he mentioned the heat continuously mode? Does this help?
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...tion-settings-v-levels-t6-1.37657/post-471591
(I showed mine how to dim the interior lights when he was trying to sell me a £70k Cali... I'd never been in one before, just read the brochure and assumed you press and hold...)

While I can sympathise with anyone experiencing problems; for the sake of balance for those thinking about getting a new Cali, as a first time (T6.1) owner, I've been very pleased with my heater. It goes hotter than I want and it has been more than adequate for me in low and sub-zero temperatures so far. Given an adequate duvet or sleeping bag I would not want heating on while sleeping unless it was well below freezing.

Not had any problems with the roof either, and no problems with lighting once I figured out the controls, but that's off-topic anyway.

Has anyone with a T6.1 been given, or know any info on this ventilation mode? It would be very useful if it is possible to have it on overnight without risk of flattening the battery.

I can’t remember where I read it - it would be one of the vw publications, the ventilation mode is nothing to do with the auxiliary heater, instead it uses the main dashboard heating fan and vents to circulate fresh air whilst the ignition is off.
The only connection with the auxiliary heater is that it’s in the same menu on the control panel.
From using it I can say it moves air through the same vents as the aux heater.

Has anyone with a T6.1 been given, or know any info on this ventilation mode? It would be very useful if it is possible to have it on overnight without risk of flattening the battery.
I have used it a handful of times overnight at setting 1. Battery was not a issue.

While I can sympathise with anyone experiencing problems; for the sake of balance for those thinking about getting a new Cali, as a first time (T6.1) owner, I've been very pleased with my heater. It goes hotter than I want and it has been more than adequate for me in low and sub-zero temperatures so far. Given an adequate duvet or sleeping bag I would not want heating on while sleeping unless it was well below freezing.

Not had any problems with the roof either, and no problems with lighting once I figured out the controls, but that's off-topic anyway.
I concur. Whilst I am not able to compare it to the T6 heater, we have used it overnight in recent weeks and we were toasty.

I am also really pleased with the heater more than hot enough when on setting 4,not sure how you can expect to keep the van that hot with the roof up like others have said it’s a tent skin with vents.

Anyone on here with an an ocean used ventilation mode?

Just asking as all the comments from people using it above have California coasts rather than ocean.

Having just taken delivery of an Ocean I cant find the option on the control panel for ventilation mode.

Would also be interested to see if its only Coast with Climatronic or without climatronic that have it.

Just wondering if its a different heater fitted.
Mine certainly sounds totally different to the old T5.1 heater, no ticking of the fuel pump & a much quieter burn.

Ventilation mode is a feature of Webasto and Eberspacher cabin heaters (the type fitted to Californias) - basically it will run the fan that blows the warm air in the cabin but without the heater function. So it basically recirculates the cabin air. I have an Eberspacher on a boat and it has a 'ventilation' mode.

Anyone on here with an an ocean used ventilation mode?

Just asking as all the comments from people using it above have California coasts rather than ocean.

Having just taken delivery of an Ocean I cant find the option on the control panel for ventilation mode.

Would also be interested to see if its only Coast with Climatronic or without climatronic that have it.

Just wondering if its a different heater fitted.
Mine certainly sounds totally different to the old T5.1 heater, no ticking of the fuel pump & a much quieter burn.
I have used it in an Ocean. The option is in the aux. heater menu:
Aux. heater —> Heat immediately —> Mode

Have just been out to van to see why despite using the remote to turn on the heater its still iced up.

It appears that the aux heater was set to level 10.

Having spent a few minutes fiddling around I am 100% sure that this mode uses the van climatronic unit and has nothing to do with the B pillar heater. With the keys out the ignition in ventilation mode the LEDs for air distribution to Windscreen & footwells are illuminated - there is air coming out of those outlets & you can hear a faint sound of the dashboard fan going. The air on level 10 is Luke warm so I wonder if the engine coolant heater is on?
If this is the mode that the control panel is in when the van is locked, it is what the remote control will turn on.

Changing the mode to Auxiliary air heater level 10 had a significantly different result - dashboard climatronic lights go off, sound like a jet engine going for take off & lots of very hot air coming out the B pillar trims, 5 mins later the ice is melting on the windscreen & dripping off the cab windows, so getting seriously hot.

Again as I left it in this mode when I left the van using the remote turns this heater on & off.

I believe it's pretty specific on the settings used. I took delivery of my Coast last week and amidst all the excitement was a little concerned at some of the 'noise' around the comparisons between 6 and 6.1. The heater was my main area of interest and as the second night of my ownership saw the temperature go sub zero I tried the remote heater fob in the morning from the house hoping to see a frost-free vehicle in a few minutes time. Sadly not. I went out to find the sound of air coming from the front vents but no heat anywhere! 20 mins studying the manual and Cali Chris highlighted the user error. My vehicle was delivered in the 'Ventilate' operating mode so was in fact doing exactly what it should. You won't get any heat at all unless in 'Air aux. heater' mode. Once this had been changed and the subsequent heat settings adjusted the heater worked fabulously. I've no idea whether it pumps more heat out than previous vehicles but it was toasty this morning after 10mins following the 6 inches of snow dropped on it yesterday which covered it! I'm both happy and impressed so that'll do for me!!

"My vehicle was delivered in the 'Ventilate' operating mode so was in fact doing exactly what it should." I agree - that's what mine was delivered set to.

That mode appears to have absolutely nothing to do with the camping heater that blows through the B pillar.

I believe this Ventilation mode is a direct solution to folks having to crack a window/fit wind deflectors/fit sliding window screens etc when sleeping overnight. It brings in air from outside (specifically from the vents beneath the windscreen) in the same way a vehicle does while driving (when recirculating is NOT active.

Very handy but probably shouldn’t be the default factory setting!

Also reading the "transporter" manual, rather than the California supplement, it seems to suggest only running for the preset maximum of 2 hours, once before driving for the same amount of time to avoid flattening the starter battery.

It would be logical that the ventilation mode, if using the dashboard fan is running from the starter not the habitation batteries.

Yeah that makes sense.
1. The dashboard fan runs to the setting on your climate controls.
2. The b pillar aux heater ducts are used to move air from the front to the back of the vehicle.

The aux heater only heats air inside the vehicle.

"My vehicle was delivered in the 'Ventilate' operating mode so was in fact doing exactly what it should." I agree - that's what mine was delivered set to.

That mode appears to have absolutely nothing to do with the camping heater that blows through the B pillar.
If the engine is hot, and you put your cab ventilation heat control knob to max, does this 'ventilate' mode allow you to use the heat from the engine to warm the interior until the engine is cold, before you switch to the 'air aux heater' and start burning diesel?

If the engine is hot, and you put your cab ventilation heat control knob to max, does this 'ventilate' mode allow you to use the heat from the engine to warm the interior until the engine is cold, before you switch to the 'air aux heater' and start burning diesel?
Not sure about T6.1 but the T6 had a “rest” button on the dash which would keep fans going for around 15 mins after stopping.

That's exactly what the "Rest" button on Climatronic does. Does the 6.1 still have this function?

That's exactly what the "Rest" button on Climatronic does. Does the 6.1 still have this function?
Yes rest feature is still there.

I am not sure that the ventilation mode doesn't operate the auxiliary engine coolant heater. The outside air temp was -4 this morning & I would have said the air coming out the dash vents on level wasn't that cold more Luke warm. Perhaps if I let it run for longer it would have warmed up more? otherwise why have settings 1-10 for ventilation, it doesn't appear to change the fan speed. It might also tie in with people commenting on the weak heating & the 2 hour cut off.

The level setting (1-10) in both Ventilate and Air Aux Heater mode translate to the frequency of fan operation I believe, it's not a control of the target temperature.

In my experience this equates to setting 10 doing this:
Operate constantly, varying the fan speed until a fixed target temperature is reached (I reckon about 25 degrees C but don't know for sure)

9= Operate less often...
8= Operate less often again..
You get it.

So in Ventilate mode it is just a Fan operation time setting, setting it to 1 is perfect for keeping some fresh air coming in while you're sleeping without it being annoying! :)

We have had trouble with our Auxiliary Heater on our T6.1 which froze the overhead digital unit(there are many previous posts on this issue).Taken to our VW Dealership, linked to laptop, diagnostics checked, and 2 errors found in the programme , sorted. Now works ok, and hot enough for us. Suggest you get your unit checked out under warranty before you replace or not.

The level setting (1-10) in both Ventilate and Air Aux Heater mode translate to the frequency of fan operation I believe, it's not a control of the target temperature.

Im not sure if we are saying the same thing,
For the air Aux heater I believe it works exactly the same as previous versions, the heat of the air coming out is not controllable, there is a thermostat, when the internal temp drops sufficiently the heater & fan kick in until the set temp is achieved. The rate of cycling the fan is dictated by the rate of heat loss, Ie freezing cold outside the fan runs more frequently to make up the lost heat, the higher the number set in the control panel, the higher the target temperature.

Ok, that is interesting and useful thanks Andy. Yes ours starts and stops and restarts ,do you have any idea what the temp setting is on the 6.1 Aux heater?

Back