Dithering dithering!

oryx white

oryx white

Travelling hopefully
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi all,

A newbee still weighing up the decision to enter Cali state. Soooo much money (but have got the residuals message!)

Have driven the 150DSG and its fine - love the fit and finish and how quiet and easy to drive it is. But it is still a van and feels less effortless than my current SEAT Alhambra with the 140DSG. I think I need to try the 204 - if we're going touring, the drive should be a pleasure, not a means to an end, methinks.

The suspension is my biggest worry. It just doesn't feel quite planted on the road - feels a bit fidgety, rocking and pitching slightly even when on a straight, flat road. Dealer recommends the HD Anti Roll bars to sort but doesn't have one to demonstrate. Also says can go for the lower springs to tie it down more.

I've had a hunt around the site a bit and seen a few views on both AR bars and lowered springs but this feels like a big decision to make without some more info.

Has anyone else been 'down this road' and/or give me some extra pointers?

Thanks - the site had already been a real help to get my mind round so much ...

Ours has the uprated roll bars and they definitely help with cornering, but are still going to go for the springs as well to reduce the pitching etc having tried it without for three months. All the feedback I know of from people with the springs fitted (the VW approved ones) is very positive and the height / clearance reduction doesn't seem to be excessive. If you do have the springs done be sure to get the whole setup laser aligned:thumb

Hi all,

A newbee still weighing up the decision to enter Cali state. Soooo much money (but have got the residuals message!)

Have driven the 150DSG and its fine - love the fit and finish and how quiet and easy to drive it is. But it is still a van and feels less effortless than my current SEAT Alhambra with the 140DSG. I think I need to try the 204 - if we're going touring, the drive should be a pleasure, not a means to an end, methinks.

The suspension is my biggest worry. It just doesn't feel quite planted on the road - feels a bit fidgety, rocking and pitching slightly even when on a straight, flat road. Dealer recommends the HD Anti Roll bars to sort but doesn't have one to demonstrate. Also says can go for the lower springs to tie it down more.

I've had a hunt around the site a bit and seen a few views on both AR bars and lowered springs but this feels like a big decision to make without some more info.

Have you tried the 4 Motion version. I think, could be wrong, it is limited to the 204.

Ours has the uprated roll bars and they definitely help with cornering, but are still going to go for the springs as well to reduce the pitching etc having tried it without for three months. All the feedback I know of from people with the springs fitted (the VW approved ones) is very positive and the height / clearance reduction doesn't seem to be excessive. If you do have the springs done be sure to get the whole setup laser aligned:thumb

Thanks Skinnee D.

Can I ask how much you're having to stump up for the VW springs. The thread I found suggested it was just under £500 but I think that post wasn't recent?

Have you tried the 4 Motion version. I think, could be wrong, it is limited to the 204.
Hi Welsh Gas. No, we haven't - we're after the third seat rail so we can seat 5 when it's the family people carrier and my understanding is you can't have both. My other car (Golf) has 4Motion though, so am a big fan.

Hi Welsh Gas. No, we haven't - we're after the third seat rail so we can seat 5 when it's the family people carrier and my understanding is you can't have both. My other car (Golf) has 4Motion though, so am a big fan.
Yes, you are correct. No 4 Motion with the extra seating.

Hi all,

What are you doing to cause the van to "fidget" , "rock" and "pitch" on a flat , straight road???

Just driving it, man. We have some straight roads but not any flat ones here! And I'm comparing it with my current people carrier, I guess ...

Just driving it, man. We have some straight roads but not any flat ones here! And I'm comparing it with my current people carrier, I guess ...
Guess, I was guilty of a terminological inexactitude earlier when I said "flat". Sorry.

Biggest question from me would be this. What do you want it for?

I'm not being flippant, but ultimately, it is a Camper Van after all. Yes, I know there are many on here who talk of it being their daily drive etc, but I'd imagine that deep down, they've probably made some pragmatic compromises to arrive at that point. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I wouldn't think of a Cali purely as a Car replacement. I just think, having made the decision that you'd like a Cali as part of your lifestyle, then replacing your Car becomes a real possibility. Just my own thoughts.

When I first got my Beach I went to Northumberland, omg the roads can make cattle grids feel smooth. I really started to think there was something up with my van, until I came home. I never noticed any significant bounce or roll even on standard suspension, the rear maybe a bit hard for my taste (but it softened up over the last year).

Welcome , there are existing treads on lowering and suspention has some also feel the need for changing . But i think 9/10 Cali's are using the standard provided suspention

Remember it is based on a van and designed to carry a load.
People carriers I've had in the past were very different loaded compared to when driven empty. My SE drives very nicely, but then it is fully loaded for camping, apart from water and a few clothes virtually all the time.

And I'm comparing it with my current people carrier, I guess ...

Well don't. It's a builders van and VW have been kind enough to put a tent on the roof and a kitchen in the back.
Anything else is a bonus.

HD anti roll bars won't make any difference on your straight road.
Coupled with shorter springs they should help in corners but it'll still roll and under steer like a cow on roller skates.

P.

IMG_3009.JPG

The VW lowering springs (30mm) improve the handling and ride. It feels more planted on the road and looks better even with standard 17" wheels. I had the springs done before I picked up my van from the dealer.

I've just fitted 20" rims and am very happy with the ride on smooth A roads and windy country lanes. I've felt no detrimental effect to the way it handles and rides.

It is true it's a van and does crash over certain road surfaces but if you chill out and drive it like a camper and not a sports car it's great. You will love it!

I concur. It bounces a bit. Like you we are contemplating and cogitating, testing and renting. That will go on for a while yet before our family finance director rubber-stamps the purchase order. One of the options is VW's active suspension which I intend to try. Bound to help in a lightly-loaded vehicle.

Biggest question from me would be this. What do you want it for?

I'm not being flippant, but ultimately, it is a Camper Van after all. Yes, I know there are many on here who talk of it being their daily drive etc, but I'd imagine that deep down, they've probably made some pragmatic compromises to arrive at that point. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I wouldn't think of a Cali purely as a Car replacement. I just think, having made the decision that you'd like a Cali as part of your lifestyle, then replacing your Car becomes a real possibility. Just my own thoughts.
No - really good question and thanks. I guess I'd swallowed the Cali does both the car and the van a bit too unthinkingly. My head tells me it's a van (the best van ever?) but my heart still wants to have all that and the driveability of an MPV. So I guess I'm just learning for myself what the compromise feels like.

Well don't. It's a builders van and VW have been kind enough to put a tent on the roof and a kitchen in the back.
Anything else is a bonus.

HD anti roll bars won't make any difference on your straight road.
Coupled with shorter springs they should help in corners but it'll still roll and under steer like a cow on roller skates.

P.
10/4 big buddy ...

Welcome , there are existing treads on lowering and suspention has some also feel the need for changing . But i think 9/10 Cali's are using the standard provided suspention
Thanks - I've had more of a look around the site and there's lots on this. But your 90% comment is telling.

Okay. So I dither no more. Deposit placed on a 16 plate Oryx White 204 DSG Ocean with most of the trimmings. We'll be the second owners - just 2,600 on the clock.

Many thanks to all of you for shepherding us through.

Oh, and the 204 is SOOO nice that I like the standard suspension set up!

Two week countdown to pick up .....

PS: I need to change my handle now it's not silver :)

Last edited:
Good decision, you'll love it.....including the vagaries (and occasional uncertainties!) of the Cali ride, enjoy...

Time for the usual warning to anyone buying a T6 from stock or 2nd hand. Do check the front seats swivel.

Okay. So I dither no more. Deposit placed on a 16 plate Onyx White 204 DSG Ocean with most of the trimmings. We'll be the second owners - just 2,600 on the clock.

Many thanks to all of you for shepherding us through.

Oh, and the 204 is SOOO nice that I like the standard suspension set up!

Two week countdown to pick up .....

PS: I need to change my handle now it's not silver :)
Good choice. If you contact one of the Admin, Martin or Calikev then they can amend your Forum name.:thumb