Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Divers Seat Turning

M

MidgleyVW

VIP Member
Had my first trip out in the VW this weekend but had one or two things I could do with a helping hand on as I was a bit unsure
The first was the seat swivel - The pitch was not level and the campsite owner helped me position but I needed a wooden block on one wheel Onced pitched I then began to move the drivers chair .hmmmm the hand brake was in the way ! So it was in 1st gear I gingerly took the brake off . There was a slight movement but I did feel very unnerved about it. I found turning the chair quite a precise operation and I am wondering if I am missing something . The passengers chair I found far easier
The switch on the drivers side that is something to do with the battery charger ? I dont know what you do with it? I have flicked it but it does not light up.
I thought this came into play when the hook up was in place? Maybe it does but I dont know what to do with it?
I bought one of the bungee straps for top but I didnt fit it because I was unsure what stops it slipping down or do you tack it on each side to keep it in place ? Could it be possible to tag it on the inside?
Besides all that we enjoyed our first trip out even though Sunday was the coldest day of the year we stayed up top ( small heater going downstairs) first night
Second night....We did find downstairs a better nights sleep . It was warmer and quieter and less hassle getting up in the night
Thanks for any help given Ray and Carol

It takes a little time and a few goes to become comfident turning the drivers seat the hand break and stearing wheel make it a little tricky compared with the passage chair but you ok onceyou have done it a few times :hello
No you have not missed anything

PSnot sure which switch on the drivers side you are referring to ? the on on the pillerfor disabling the alarm ie when on a ferry

Haha. The steering wheel makes the driver's seat much harder to turn, as you have to tip the seat back way forward to miss it. There is a 'sweet spot' where you can spin it right round without any shuffling about, but it takes a while to find it! :)

We carry Fiamma levelling blocks, because it really winds me up if my bed is on a slope.

On mine, if I line up the back of the arm rest with the front edge of the "B" pillar, that is the spot. You can easy find this by rotating the seat to just the point where the seat adjuster would clash with the B pillar, move the seat forward just a touch, then spin it back around and take a note of where the arm rest is in relation to the pillar.

I've just read that back and it sounds like utter cobblers. Rest assured, I, at least know what I mean :D

If you mean the switch low down on the drivers side that is the locksafe switch. Switched on, glowing red, it allows you to lock the vehicle without activating the interior movement sensors.

Basically so that you can lock the door so that dogs, children or escaping mother-in-laws do not activate the alarm.

I find the drivers seat a total pain to swivel. In fact I don't bother as I have yet to find a way to prevent the seat back recliner knob from scuffing the door pillar. If anyone wants to sit in it whilst we are parked up then they can look out of the window whilst the rest of us have a nice cup of tea sat around the table.

Beware fitting the bungee strap. It nearly cost me my front teeth.

Now, before i explain, please bear in mind I am one of the most mechanically dyslexic people on the planet. What is easy mechanics to most, even simply tying a shoe lace, is for me a trial of the most frustrating kind.

I tied one end in a loose knot around one of the roof stays and then cleverly, carefully, and with intense concentration, stretched my way slowly all the way round. Then I fastened it all up using that toothed clip thingy. The toothed clip lost its bite, the stetched bungey strap became a flying missile and the toothed end smacked me in my own teeth.

I now probably have the only bungee strap in existence that has lipstick on it :cry:

Beware fitting the bungee strap. It nearly cost me my front teeth.

Now, before i explain, please bear in mind I am one of the most mechanically dyslexic people on the planet. What is easy mechanics to most, even simply tying a shoe lace, is for me a trial of the most frustrating kind.

I tied one end in a loose knot around one of the roof stays and then cleverly, carefully, and with intense concentration, stretched my way slowly all the way round. Then I fastened it all up using that toothed clip thingy. The toothed clip lost its bite, the stetched bungey strap became a flying missile and the toothed end smacked me in my own teeth.

I now probably have the only bungee strap in existence that has lipstick on it :cry:

PMSL :upsidedown

I love your posts GrannyJen !!!

Hi thanks for all your comments and help
The seat thing I find it difficult to believe a ÂŁ47,000 car especially from VW you have to mess about too and fro lifting armrests ,dodging the steering wheel and as you say stop the knobs on the seat scuffing my new B post (which I have) I take it most owners have scuffed b posts
I shall spend some time trying to unskill it somehow as my wife would not have a clue and to take the hand brake off to do the maneuver seems absolute stupidity.
On leaving the site I did the reverse the process and when i did knock the gear knob to neutral the van rolled forward ! I just had to see what would have happened if not in gear ....very alarming
The bunjee I take it you need step ladders> If it set tight enough it does not drop down? so on opening again its still in the middle?
Thanks everyone hope to see more members on the farm

At the end of the day the cali, as with any similar sized camper van, is going to be a compromise.

It is not the size of a motorhome so you cannot expect the convenience of one that has all that space to play with. It is not a caravan so you cannot expect caravan-sized accomodation. It is not a car so you cannot expect car-type performance.

It is a campervan, one that can go into some ridiculously tight spaces, as I, with the help?? of my sat-nav, proved a couple of days ago. A motorhome would still be there, wedged between a wall and a big rock! I have turned it round in some daft places and found it to be, for it's size, fabulously manouverable. I have been able to go away knowing that I am totally self-contained, dependent on no one for anything, can sleep really comfortably in something slightly narrower than a range rover and a few metres shorter than a motorhome.

All that versatility means some things have to be compromised and I am happy to accept that swivelling the drivers seat around is a lot more fiddly than it was in my 6.8 metre long pilote motorhome that I could only drive on major roads.

Whether it is a California or any other make camper based on a transporter it will have the same issue for you, some conversions do not have a rotating drivers seats. If you want a transporter size campervan there have to be compromises to fit it all in. When your relationship starts with a Cali all the functions are new the more you do them the simpler they become , the pop top changing the gaz bottle, the 1st time we put the rock and roll bed bown I could not get it up for a while. The driver seat is just one of those things ( not sure what is described in the hand book re turning the seat) It will become easier the more you do it

To make it easier to find the turning point I have marked the point by putting some white electrical tape on the top and bottom parts of the seats and then marked it exactly using a Sharpie Pen.

I did the same on the passenger seat to and also marked the furthest I can put the seat back without hitting the sink.

It may seem a little low tech but it makes it a lot easier to find those magical points where seats turns easily. All I have to do is line the two marks up and hey presto.

I'm sure someone may have mentioned it, but I don't see it, it helps quite a bit if you put the seat back totally upright as opposed to the 5 to 10 degree tilt its normally set at.

Yes, it is a compromise, it would help if the seats were just a few mm closer together / further from the B pillar, or if there was a specific turning 'sweet spot' detent on the for and aft travel.

Maybe in the Mk3?

Cheers

Stephen

Michealb,
Any chance you can post some photos of your markers in position? Thanks.

Hi everyone and thanks for your comments
I spent some time today to get it in my head once and for all
I moved the seat upright moved the seat so that the seat turns just missing the B post with the control knob of the seat. Looking at the seat on the rails the seat just comes bang on with the base rail . Turning the seat the arm rest has to be down and it just catches the steering wheel . Pushing the foam in the seat goes round easy enough. Maybe if I played with the seat upright angle it might go around un-aided . For now that will do me !

it is a source of minor frustration but it can be done. The one major thing V.W. COULD DO IN THE INTEREST OF SAFETY is the addition of a Foot Brake as is fitted on most, if not all vehicles in U.S.A. :D

I think the Cali is designed to be LHD then there is no problem with the steering wheel when turning the off side seat like most german cars RHD is a after thought

I tried (and succeeded) at the swivel of the drivers seat once - that will probably be the last time! Did make a careful note of the relative position of the rails when it was optimally positioned to swivel but just too much hassle for 2 people outings. The passenger seat is so much easier and plenty of room if twisted in a little.
And yes I agree - not a design victory for VW!

GrannyJen said:
If you mean the switch low down on the drivers side that is the locksafe switch. Switched on, glowing red, it allows you to lock the vehicle without activating the interior movement sensors.

Basically so that you can lock the door so that dogs, children or escaping mother-in-laws do not activate the alarm.

I find the drivers seat a total pain to swivel. In fact I don't bother as I have yet to find a way to prevent the seat back recliner knob from scuffing the door pillar. If anyone wants to sit in it whilst we are parked up then they can look out of the window whilst the rest of us have a nice cup of tea sat around the table.

Hi Jen
Interesting - are you saying the illuminated switch on the drivers door pillar allows us to lock the doors when we retire to bed - to date I have leaved over and used the locking on the drivers door arm rest. Great to clarify
G

Hi,

I have a knack for the drivers seat that seems to work.

Unfortunately, for both the drivers side and passenger side seat, things are a lot easier with the respective front doors open (not ideal if raining).

(1) Handbrake down (much easier and safer with DSG in Park)
(2) Steering wheel unlocked and pushed all the way forwards
(3) Tilt the drivers seat a pretty good way forwards (don't have an exact measure, but once forward enough seems to be less important if you go further)
(4) Left armrest up, right arm rest down (it will then swivel under the steering wheel)
(5) Get out of the van, drivers door open, from the outside...
(6) Then a combination of spinning the seat and moving it fore and aft on the rails to avoid the knurled knob getting fouled on the door pillar (which is made of a material that scratches instantly it comes into contact with said knurled knob)

Admittedly, a faff, but we need four seats in the van do needs-must.

An electric seat that did all the shuffling in a pre-programmed way would be a good option, although how reliable .....

Cheers
Mark

Yep - scuffs are almost a certainty!! :headbang

dayslikethis said:
Hi Jen
Interesting - are you saying the illuminated switch on the drivers door pillar allows us to lock the doors when we retire to bed - to date I have leaved over and used the locking on the drivers door arm rest. Great to clarify
G

Not quite, but you could press the button near the drivers door and then lock the doors with the remote. But if you just press the lock button once then you will be deadlocked in the van. So you would need to press lock button twice.

That is all a bit of a faff so just use the lock button on the actual door (the one near the electric window switch)- which has the effect of locking the doors, with the interior alarm disabled and the deadlocks disabled.

T

1. Make sure the steering wheel is adjusted all the way in.
2. Take the handbrake off.
3. Backrest all the way forward.
4. Offside armrest down.
5. Move driver seat forward enough to be able to but the thickness of your hand between the B pillar and the back of the armrest.
6. Seat should now swivel round without catching on anything.

For turning the seat, slide the seat forward so the front of the rail the seat is attached to, lines up exactly with the front of the fixed rail below it. Wind the seat recline forward and rotate, just check arm rest out the way - perfect non scuff rotation.

Back