Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does anyone bother taking van in when the “inspection” indicator comes on?

when they change brake fluid I suspect they just syringe it out of the reservoir and tip some new stuff in. that means all the old fluid is still in the lines. do you think they go round and bleed all the old fluid out of each cylinder ? I doubt it. as usual probably best to do it yourself if you think it needs doing.
as for inspection I just ignore it.
as for spending 50k plus on a van and ignoring future costs I never spent that much on mine but still wasn't easy raising that much cash for a vehicle. as pointed out just because you did doesn't mean you should constantly get your leg lifted by VW afterwards
20k cam belt change anyone ?
I too suspect that there's a substantual element of income generation in vehicle service regimes and why not dealers service depts aren't charities. However, let's not forget that there's also a very valid reason why the Cambelt, tensioner, and waterpump are changed at recommended intervals. A premature failure would be extremely expensive to fix and I suspect the service intervals are set to avoid that occuring, based on historic evidence.

As for brake fluid changes, they aren't that expensive and if done properly are usually done by bleeding the system using the nipples on each brake caliper.

I too suspect that there's a substantual element of income generation in vehicle service regimes and why not dealers service depts aren't charities. However, let's not forget that there's also a very valid reason why the Cambelt, tensioner, and waterpump are changed at recommended intervals. A premature failure would be extremely expensive to fix and I suspect the service intervals are set to avoid that occuring, based on historic evidence.

As for brake fluid changes, they aren't that expensive and if done properly are usually done by bleeding the system using the nipples on each brake caliper.
no ones saying dealers are charities. but a recurring theme keeps cropping up with dealers. and that is ripping people off. the cambelt argument is for another ongoing thread.
I know how to bleed brakes, I just suspect it isn't done . I don't even trust them to wash my van properly . says it all.

no ones saying dealers are charities. but a recurring theme keeps cropping up with dealers. and that is ripping people off. the cambelt argument is for another ongoing thread.
I know how to bleed brakes, I just suspect it isn't done . I don't even trust them to wash my van properly . says it all.
The Service regimen is based on the Transporter, a Commercial Vehicle. The fact that most California owners barely use them compared to their commercial cousins is hardly VWs fault.

The Service regimen is based on the Transporter, a Commercial Vehicle. The fact that most California owners barely use them compared to their commercial cousins is hardly VWs fault.
if you have a warranty. go to the dealer. if not go elsewhere. thats my opinion. plenty of good mechanics that know the transporter well. (probably better than the dealers)

On brake fluid, I personally wouldn't leave it in for more than about three years on an everyday vehicle, because of the risk of corrosion to cylinders etc as water content builds up. And I've been told by mechanics whom I trust that flushing out solids (rust particles especially) periodically by changing the fluid is a good idea for long life of the whole system.

On a vehicle that gets driven hard - or maybe if towing a heavy trailer over the mountains a lot - I'd change it at every two years, as boiling the brakes on a fast downhill stretch is extremely unpleasant (ask me how I know).

On brake fluid, I personally wouldn't leave it in for more than about three years on an everyday vehicle, because of the risk of corrosion to cylinders etc as water content builds up. And I've been told by mechanics whom I trust that flushing out solids (rust particles especially) periodically by changing the fluid is a good idea for long life of the whole system.

On a vehicle that gets driven hard - or maybe if towing a heavy trailer over the mountains a lot - I'd change it at every two years, as boiling the brakes on a fast downhill stretch is extremely unpleasant (ask me how I know).
How could you know VD ? ( is like to hear the account)
Did you have rusty coloured underpants after the incident? :Iamsorry

I'm sure that there are unscruplulous service departments out their and I'm not talking specifically about any one brand. However, if any organisation deals with customers in that fashion then sooner or later it will come home to roost. If a garage gets a bad reputation then word soon spreads. In the past I have marked the air filter and the oil filter housing just to check it's actually been done. In the end you either trust the garage to do the job properly or do it yourself. Once out of warranty or with any work that isn't covered by the warranty then I agree, I usually do it myself. I still get the more complicated things like cam belt changes done by the garage. I've found that often they can be cheaper than independent garages.

I'm with you on the cleaning thing. Never ever get them to clean your van or car. I recently had a cam belt etc done on my wife's Skoda.at a main agent. Big flashy expensive looking place but when it came to the complimentary car wash, well lets just say that I could have done better blindfolded with a sponge on the end of a ten foot pole. He or she missed the roof entirely and only bothered to do about 75% of the rest and it looked as if their implement of choice had been a yard broom. If your van's a dark colour it's bound to end up covered in micro scratches. So I agree, don't go there.

Oh dear this doesn't sound good. Go on VD, how do you know? :thumb

[
Oh dear this doesn't sound good. Go on VD, how do you know? :thumb

Not in a Cali - perish the thought. In a rally car and using the 'wrong' pads (too soft) which cooked the discs on a fast tarmac downhill. First it felt like fade but then one bend later pedal almost straight to floor. Handbrake stopped me becoming intrinsic to the scenery.

It won't mean anything to you Borris, you're a rod brakes man I think. :Grin

[

Not in a Cali - perish the thought. In a rally car and using the 'wrong' pads (too soft) which cooked the discs on a fast tarmac downhill. First it felt like fade but then one bend later pedal almost straight to floor. Handbrake stopped me becoming intrinsic to the scenery.

I lost brakes coming down a mountain road in an 8 year old Corsa that I had bought second hand as a second car, brake pedal right to the floor. Emergency brake and cooldown, the brakes were fine. Every service had been done at the Opel agency by the previous owner, but my local mechanic told me it was obvious no one had ever changed the fluid. That's something I never want to experience in my Cali! (Neither the ripoff nor the brake failure!)

[

Yep, two wheeled brakes and white knuckles, that's me. :Nailbiting

Especially in modern traffic.
Yes you have to keep your wits about you. It doesn't occur to some road users that you can't stop like a modern car. Consequently I usually keep to quiet country lanes with others on organised events. Safety in numbers.

Back