Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does the a programmable parking heater use the leisure battery?

Salty

Salty

Salty
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
completely new to all of this, so this might be a stupid question. We're planning on using it off Electrical hook up in the colder months.

Yes it uses the leisure battery's .

completely new to all of this, so this might be a stupid question. We're planning on using it off Electrical hook up in the colder months.
Yes. How many Leisure Batteries do you have and what else will you be running.
The Diesel Parking heater uses a few amps to get going but very little when running. So switch On and leave On just varying the temperature when required will use a lot less of your Leisure Battery than Stop/Starting the Parking Heater. ( A lot of amps used to heat the Glow Plugs when starting ).

Yes it uses the leisure battery's .

In Salty's case battery instead battery's .....as it states Beach ( assuming this is correct)
Don't worry to much the aux. heater does not use that much power...it's only a diesel burner and a small fan

Yea just realised I suppose they only have one battery.

Did you mean the programable heater for the engine coolant that defrosts the car and has a remote or the heater for the rear that you operate from the control panel?

Did you mean the programable heater for the engine coolant that defrosts the car and has a remote or the heater for the rear that you operate from the control panel?

The engine coolant heater, that runs off the engine battery and comes on automatically at 5c, as far as I know can't be supplied with a remote from Vw only by after market suppliers.
The internal hot air heater that runs from the leisure batteries and fitted as standard in the SE and Ocean, operated by central control unit, comes with a remote as standard.
If the hot air heater is ordered in a Beach then it can be specced with or without the remote.

The auxiliary heater can be provided with a remote, or upgraded afterwards if desired. However it only allows 30 minutes of run time off the engine battery and can be used to defrost/warm up the van. Once the remote is installed however it doesnt come on automatically at 5c or below from all reports. It doesn't really serve as a proper heater in that respect (it uses the ventillation fans which use too much power for extended use).

I almost did this upgrade but the 30 minute restriction and engine battery use, made a parking heater seem a better albeit far more expensive option and I went with that. My webasto can be programmed to come on at

The engine coolant heater, that runs off the engine battery and comes on automatically at 5c, as far as I know can't be supplied with a remote from Vw only by after market suppliers.
The internal hot air heater that runs from the leisure batteries and fitted as standard in the SE and Ocean, operated by central control unit, comes with a remote as standard.
If the hot air heater is ordered in a Beach then it can be specced with or without the remote.
Why are you answering me?
I was seeking clarification from the OP as others replied before checking with the OP and could have given the OP the wrong answer....

But by giving a more complete answer to mine, the OP should now understand what runs off each :)

Why are you answering me?
I was seeking clarification from the OP as others replied before checking with the OP and could have given the OP the wrong answer....

But by giving a more complete answer to mine, the OP should now understand what runs off each :)

Oh yes sorry, I got it bit out of step:thumb

Thank you very much. My van is coming in January and we're planning going off pitch. Will get a solar panel as well I think. Happy camping.

Back