Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Do i really need these options??

Must haves that is either more expensive or a big problem to retrofit:
Air Heater with remote, make sure you don’t get the cheaper water heater.
Interior camping lights system
Acc, would never dream of buying another vehicle without this safety feature
Led headlights, I am 43 and my sight does not get better so I need all help I can get, I see it as safety equipment

Like to have that I have on mine
Carplay
Dsg
4motion
204HP
Privacy glass

For those with ACC - is there not an option to configure it without the 'radar' setting, ie just maintain the set speed à la old fashioned cruise?

If I have one regret it’s not having the LED lights. I have the ocean with H7 lights and they really are useless. Just about acceptable with a Halfords 150% bulbs.

Saying that, would I swap them for the ACC that I do have....no I think it’s a good feature on a car like this that goes in n long motorway journeys. Just not so good when it gets really busy as it’s a bit jerky when it Is people swing in front of you.

If you were to ask me again in winter when the lights get a lot more use I might change me mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't specify ACC, it came on the demonstrator I bought. But it is most useful on busy motorways in unfamiliar areas when cars are passing you on both sides, cutting in and braking, etc and you are checking road signs, checking lanes and so on. It does need to be coupled with a DSG to get the best out of it.
I tried it on a manual Golf and as it changes speed you have to change gear and that removes a lot of the advantage of it. On long straight empty roads ordinary cruise control is all you need. I agree that there should be something to inform the driver when it is working so they can decide to sit behind the slowing vehicle or overtake.
The MFSW is very useful. If you have tried to reset Tyre pressure warning light, or check other things, it is much easier on the MFSW, it is not straightforward on the wiper stalk control.
The diesel heater is a must, the remote is just icing on the cake.
Parking sensors are useful as I park in a narrow street and reverse parking isn't easy unless you know exactly where the van ends. Again a camera is icing on the cake.

The MFSW is very useful. If you have tried to reset Tyre pressure warning light, or check other things, it is much easier on the MFSW, it is not straightforward on the wiper stalk.
The extra 2 years warranty is also a must, a bargain at the price.

Once again, your wisdom, knowledge and help in this matmat has been marvellous!!!!!!!!! Thank you ALL very mich

I have found the 80ltr upgraded fuel tank very beneficial.
I forgot about this option on my Crafter and am regretting it now - only have a 350 mile range with the smaller tank

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

keep it simple - beach - auto dsg, black, folding wing mirrors, cruise control, app connect, discover media, black awning rail, privacy glass, front and rear parking sensors....

keep it simple - beach - auto dsg, black, folding wing mirrors, cruise control, app connect, discover media, black awning rail, privacy glass, front and rear parking sensors....
I like your comment except for the black paint finish. Our previous Cali was Pearlescent Black. It was my only concern when I purchased it as an ex demo. I knew then I was going to find it a nightmare to keep clean and I wasn't wrong. That van only ever looked clean for about ten seconds after it was washed and it showed every mark and blemish. The hard water in our area also made it very difficult to keep spotless. IMO it's the worst paint option possible and it beats me why so many people buy black cars.

The H7 headlights are fine for nighttime driving. LED are overrated for their cost, but no one will admit to that if they ticked that option.

The LED lights are worth every penny they cost!
It’s a difference as chalk and cheese!

Anybody who said that H7 is enough never drove LEDs at night!

IMO it's the worst paint option possible and it beats me why so many people buy black cars.

It’s just personal taste. I love black cars....last 3 cars were black, my first Cali was black.

I dared to be different this time, as my current Cali is grey......and black two tone!! :)

Sorry to upset you. I have and don't find any significant advantage that warrants the additional cost. If you have the money and want them then buy them - you're choice.
And don't get me started on the Automatic headlight dip function. That can be positively dangerous to on-coming vehicles.

Sorry to upset you. I have and don't find any significant advantage that warrants the additional cost. If you have the money and want them then buy them - you're choice.
And don't get me started on the Automatic headlight dip function. That can be positively dangerous to on-coming vehicles.

Ok. But then you have to wright that YOU cant afford the LEDs because of The High Price!
Instead of telling Potential new buyers that H7 is enough!

Interesting to read the range of views on ACC on this thread. I'd always assumed it would be a great feature to have in any vehicle that you're going to use for long distances. But it sounds as though it can be frustrating in motorway traffic then. Maybe still ideal to have on a fast one-lane road where you get less lane-switching? I assume also the software intelligence will get a lot better in each ACC generation.

Personally I find basic (non ACC) cruise control virtually useless in the UK and would never even bother to switch it on unless I was on empty motorways in the early hours which I'm pleased to say I almost never am. I'm genuinely surprised that some folks use it, maybe just shows how preferences, driving styles and modes of use vary.

I like Black, and as I am into keeping my vehicles clean it does not bother me to much, and besides as least a bit of dirt makes it look used, rather than a garage queen. Decent ceramic coating will help, which will be going on in the first couple of weeks ownership

I like your comment except for the black paint finish. Our previous Cali was Pearlescent Black. It was my only concern when I purchased it as an ex demo. I knew then I was going to find it a nightmare to keep clean and I wasn't wrong. That van only ever looked clean for about ten seconds after it was washed and it showed every mark and blemish. The hard water in our area also made it very difficult to keep spotless. IMO it's the worst paint option possible and it beats me why so many people buy black cars.

Interesting to read the range of views on ACC on this thread. I'd always assumed it would be a great feature to have in any vehicle that you're going to use for long distances. But it sounds as though it can be frustrating in motorway traffic then. Maybe still ideal to have on a fast one-lane road where you get less lane-switching? I assume also the software intelligence will get a lot better in each ACC generation.

Personally I find basic (non ACC) cruise control virtually useless in the UK and would never even bother to switch it on unless I was on empty motorways in the early hours which I'm pleased to say I almost never am. I'm genuinely surprised that some folks use it, maybe just shows how preferences, driving styles and modes of use vary.

With you on this. Very rarely if ever use standard cruise. ACC I find completely different and I love it.

When roads are really busy you just let it do it's thing...if you want to nip out quick or do something different, just hit the accelerator pedal like you normally would and it picks up.

I enjoy driving, but lets face it, the Cali is no sports vehicle and the pleasure comes from the relaxed manner in which it performs. Use the high driving position to read the road ahead and ACC covers 85% to 90% of what you'd do on a long journey using Motorway or A roads.

It's called CRUISE control after all, so is for cruising....not city or nip and tuck lane changing.

I think an ACC enhancement would be the ability to turn off the A part. In Poland we had our radar knocked out by a numpty white van man. I had to drive back to the UK with no cruise control at all.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

I like Black, and as I am into keeping my vehicles clean it does not bother me to much, and besides as least a bit of dirt makes it look used, rather than a garage queen. Decent ceramic coating will help, which will be going on in the first couple of weeks ownership
I'm sorry Andy,
If you like black then that's great. I hope I haven't put you off it. When it's clean a black Cali looks wonderful:
image.jpeg
A good paint coating should also help as will living in an area where the water is softer with less calcium. If not I'd suggest getting a large inline water filter. We have one but the stuff inside doesn't last that long before it needs replacing and is expensive.

As you have to be ultra careful with black, I used the two bucket washing method along with a lambs wool mitt when we had our black SE. That was to prevent any grit getting on the paint during the wash process. It had to be towelled down with micro fibre cloths after each wash otherwise it would have been covered in ugly and dificult to shift calcium marks. I achieved the best results by washing the van whilst it was raining as the rain water was usually clean, left a lot less marks and the van didn't need to be towelled off afterwards.

Never let those hand car wash bods anywhere near it or let the dealer wash it after it's been serviced.

By the way, the Beach is a very good choice indeed.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
Ok. But then you have to wright that YOU cant afford the LEDs because of The High Price!
Instead of telling Potential new buyers that H7 is enough!
Incorrect. I have a T5.1, I’ve driven a T6 with Halogen lights and one with LED and do not think the improvement is worth it. In fact I believe they are less satisfactory if not dangerous because the light pattern and brightness diminish your peripheral vision quit significantly compared with Halogen.
If your eyes are that bad at your age then maybe you shouldn’t be driving at night. Cost doesn’t come into it. The fact that LED’s are the latest doesn’t mean they are the best.

I agree that CC is useless and annoying in stop start traffic especially.
I find it strange though that some find ACC frustrating in motorway traffic because that's exactly when it comes in to its own :)

Incorrect. I have a T5.1, I’ve driven a T6 with Halogen lights and one with LED and do not think the improvement is worth it. In fact I believe they are less satisfactory if not dangerous because the light pattern and brightness diminish your peripheral vision quit significantly compared with Halogen.
If your eyes are that bad at your age then maybe you shouldn’t be driving at night. Cost doesn’t come into it. The fact that LED’s are the latest doesn’t mean they are the best.
Nah, they are superb, most on here have driven for years behind all sorts of bulbs and can appreciate the brightness, reach and sharpness of their LED's They pick up ponies and deer in my neck of the woods that would be invisible to normal lights.

Nah, they are superb, most on here have driven for years behind all sorts of bulbs and can appreciate the brightness, reach and sharpness of their LED's They pick up ponies and deer in my neck of the woods that would be invisible to normal lights.
Your opinion, and of course you are not going to say anything else after paying the extra.
Just allow someone else to have their own opinion.

Your opinion, and of course you are not going to say anything else after paying the extra.
Just allow someone else to have their own opinion.
I greatly value your opinion, I often agree with it.
My van was a cancelled order, the lights were just part of the original potential owners spec. I would not have ordered it myself having never experienced such a system, now LED's would be the first option ticked.

Back