Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does the novelty wear off?

Prior to getting my cali last July I had a converted Mazda Bongo which gave me 8 years of good use & many a good camp trip. The cali, however, is at a totally different level & has opened up a whole new world for us. Having the heater makes a massive difference & means that whatever the weather we can still get away & be comfortable. In the 10 months of ownership I say we've averaged getting away every 3 weeks. The weekends I'm not away in it I'm wishing I was. So, I guess that's another NO from me :thumb

Not sure about all this.

Am on very northern Scottish islands. Internet connection is rubbish. Cali is refusing to do more than 500 miles to a tank of diesel, and now says we've only got 50% power left in the batteries. Just because we've been using the wine cooler. Can't get to sleep because of all the daylight coming through the air vents in the lid. Even if we do, the bloody corncrakes wake us up. And lapwing chicks seem to think they can get under your feet and use the van as cover just because the skuas and gulls are trying to eat them.

Doesn't happen when we stay at home, I can tell you.

Suffering withdrawal. 32c in the shade here in sunny California USA but I'm really missing my own California.
Try Death Valley and experience the intense dry heat when you step out of your vehicle. California is both my favour holiday destination and favourite vehicle.

The older it gets the more I love it :).

When the sun shines you can see the heads turn - the badge says it all - V W C A L I F O R N I A.

What other vehicle on earth has as much impact for as little outlay??
Well said. 3 years in and still love it, in fact I packed work in to spend more time enjoying it. As it gets older I find myself more relaxed and can enjoy it more. I have no intention of upgrading and hope to keep it for many years. I would like a T4 Westy as well though.

well we had our 3rd time out this weekend from new and spent a few days in Dorset.
Each trip seems a little better with organising stuff and so far we have been surrounded next to large motorhomes and all the space they obviously have over the Cali.... We did have a wobble with a touch of the envy but I suppose that's only natural that you would do.
All in all though I wouldn't change ours for the world.

well we had our 3rd time out this weekend from new and spent a few days in Dorset.
Each trip seems a little better with organising stuff and so far we have been surrounded next to large motorhomes and all the space they obviously have over the Cali.... We did have a wobble with a touch of the envy but I suppose that's only natural that you would do.
All in all though I wouldn't change ours for the world.
It does take some time to get organised in a way that suits you however you will get there, for example we used to store a cube portaloo under the sink but that got moved in favour of a mini oven and now that has also been relocated as we prefer to use the under sink area for items you need close to hand which is how it was originally!

We've had Bertie since late February and have been away a couple of times....due to various circumstances we haven't out in her since Easter :( however I still jiggle with excitement at the thought of getting back out again in Bertie and many happy times ahead so no I don't think it wears off.

I have always changed car/vehicle every year, but I doubt very much I'll be changing the Cali anytime soon. We go away as good as every weekend whatever the weather and have even started doing weekday stopovers as we are totally addicted.

Same here. Always fell out of love with a car after The Honeymoon Period was over, some longer than others, granted. The Cali; Juan the Van is just supreme, 3 years in and I love it more with age.

I'm sitting here at a campsite in Dieppe, last stop of a 2,500 mile jaunt around Europe and it's been an absolute breeze to drive in the scorching sun, pouring rain and everything in between. I'm (almost) just as happy nipping to Sainsburys in him, to get some milk. Its such a great vehicle, so much more than "a car"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Still hooked. Only constrained by teeager's exam schedule and revision plan and desperate need for 4g coverage to enable revision.
Zebedee
Oh yeah, know this one and it's driving me crazy.
Can't tell you how much I enjoyed being a taxi to Jazz band then working in Sainsbury's car park doing a web meeting on the wifi from the router in the glove box. Just fabulous. Nearly had to pop the heating on but just managed to resist. Next, cross town, pick up from station and home.
Such fun!
We've had Starlight for just over a year and are liked caged beasts until the GCSE's are over. You won't see us for dust then....Vroom...... :bananadance:bananadance:bananadance:bananadance

Mind you Yosemite helps. View attachment 13947

I took my Mother in law on a grand tour of the West coast and Death valley once. I invited them over when I was resident at OSU.

I had both mothers in the back and it was like waiting for the atom to split as they both talked for England.

When we were in Yosemite Mum in law said she would like to go on the tour bus. We all groaned, it was a 90 minute circular tour. She volunteered to go on her own so I jumped at the chance of 90 minutes of peace. On the bus she went, into the restaurant we all went.

Anyway, the circular bus set off..... 90 minutes later the circular bus came back.... Mum in law had fell asleep .... the circular bus went off again...... and the last I saw was Mum in laws face at the window as it went past.

Oh well, another 90 minutes of peace :D

Try Death Valley and experience the intense dry heat when you step out of your vehicle. California is both my favour holiday destination and favourite vehicle.
Brings back memories of a Death Valley tour in a dodgy hire car. It was so hot that if we slowed below 40mph the engine started overheating - no dawdling sightseeing that day.

Back