Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Does the novelty wear off?

A

adinalee111

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I have had many new cars over the years and there is always a sense of excitement when the new car arrives, I would always find excuses to go for a drive, but this novelty wears off quite quick (normally within a week) however the Cali seems to be a different story as even six months I still have this exciting feeling and want to use it ( even if just going for a meaningless drive)

Does everone get this feeling? I wonder if any other vehicles have this affect?

I'm very interested in the replies to this thread.

I can't even look at Albert, standing still in the drive, without compulsively planning my next trip.

It's just happened :D

Came home Yesterday afternoon from France, cleared up the wreckage inside, stared lovingly at Albert all washed and hoovered and repacked, got the itch so planned my next trip and booked the first campsite about an hour ago.

We leave on Sunday.

Only got it for a year - not new rather old (11years) - and, I call it "Calilove", didn't disappear. It is my weekend/holiday drive and has a nice warm place to stay the rest of the week. I'm visiting it daily only to check if everything is alright or to plan some sort of updates:) even start walking-jogging to do my training leap to the Cali and back :)

The older it gets the more I love it :).

When the sun shines you can see the heads turn - the badge says it all - V W C A L I F O R N I A.

What other vehicle on earth has as much impact for as little outlay??

I have had many new cars over the years and there is always a sense of excitement when the new car arrives, I would always find excuses to go for a drive, but this novelty wears off quite quick (normally within a week) however the Cali seems to be a different story as even six months I still have this exciting feeling and want to use it ( even if just going for a meaningless drive)

Does everone get this feeling? I wonder if any other vehicles have this affect?[/QUOTE
We find it a real treat every time we go out in it. If anything the pleasure just increases.

The older it gets the more I love it :).

When the sun shines you can see the heads turn - the badge says it all - V W C A L I F O R N I A.

What other vehicle on earth has as much impact for as little outlay??[/QUOTE]

Spot on I never get bored of driving mine.

Still hooked. Only constrained by teeager's exam schedule and revision plan and desperate need for 4g coverage to enable revision.
Zebedee

I suspect it does for some but they probably won't be around to comment.

Mike

Never wears off! I've had a 2008 Cali from new, and I'm still like a kid with a new toy.

When the sun is shining like today there is no better feeling than driving the Cali, I think even if I had a bugatti veyron I would not have the same smile !

Three years in we still love it. Normally I am bored of a car after six months but the longer we own the van the more I want to keep it!

We are in it now, it is approaching 6 years old and has it's battle scars and quirks, but every time I get the time to escape the daily grind and enjoy it I love it.

We do talk about changing it for something with more space, but then we use it and it just makes us both happy. I'd like to keep it forever.

This was today, if we only had my daily Golf, the photo would have been me sat on a sofa!

dc748b668f1134c1f3c0d13d6561dccb.jpg

Last edited:
I can't even look at Albert, standing still in the drive, without compulsively planning my next trip.

It's just happened :D

Came home Yesterday afternoon from France, cleared up the wreckage inside, stared lovingly at Albert all washed and hoovered and repacked, got the itch so planned my next trip and booked the first campsite about an hour ago.

We leave on Sunday.
Spot on - get the same feeling after 5 years... It's the cleaning, re-packing that's leaves you feeling - ok I want to be going somewhere... Keep on rolling....

Once a camper...always a camper

Once a campervan...always a campervan

We have had the Starship Zulucampi for over a year now and every trip is exciting. Here she is at Camping Alfacs on the Costa Brava. Love her to bits!

20160515_161548.jpg

When the sun is shining like today there is no better feeling than driving the Cali, I think even if I had a bugatti veyron I would not have the same smile !
Prefer the Bugatti, cos I could sell it and buy loads more Calis....

Suffering withdrawal. 32c in the shade here in sunny California USA but I'm really missing my own California.

Slightly over a years worth of ownership. It's an emphatic 'NO' from us :)

Back