Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Double glazing

Saesneg Shaun

Saesneg Shaun

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
I noticed double glazing is now striked out on the configuator now. Is it much of a loss?
windows.JPG

Configurating what kind of Cali ?
Your details says you have a T6.1 ocean ....about to change ?

Configurating what kind of Cali ?
Your details says you have a T6.1 ocean ....about to change ?

Just ordered an Ocean but pooring over the configulator and re-checking / double guessing myself as you do!

So no double glazing on a Ocean ?
Configurator must be having a bad day....

It gets struck out if you check either the Style Package or Sport Styling Package. Not sure what replaces it though.

Last edited:
Ah ok, must have clicked the wrong option. Thanks

One sheet of glass and a bit of air :)
As long as everything is ok, it will be dry air, once you have humid air between the two layers of glass, the window is broken and it will show condensation between the layers. After enough time, the window will become opaque because of the dried up residues of the water in the humid air.

Don't get me started... :mad:

It’s a gimmick because if you have sliders, the windows forward of the C pillar aren’t doubled glazed and nobody gets a double glazed cab (or pop top).

I noticed double glazing is now striked out on the configuator now. Is it much of a loss?
View attachment 64466
No. I've had Cali's with and without DG and I can't say I ever noticed a difference. The only advantage that I can see is the double glazed glass, being laminated and not toughened, would be more difficult to break. So probably more secure from attempted break ins. However the double glazing was only ever the rear and rear side windows and those in the cab. The middle section was always single glazing on both sides. Regarding security, the sliding windows are the weak point so no need to break the laminated glass to gain entry.

Does it cut down noise or make the van warmer? IMO no.

Last edited:
DG is less likely to form condensation. My rear window has no demister, but never seems to mist up, unlike the single glazed panels.

DG is less likely to form condensation. My rear window has no demister, but never seems to mist up, unlike the single glazed panels.

Reminds me on the first winter. On my trip to work, searching for the button for the heated rear window.
I even looked in the manual. But couldn't find the button, untill I realised I had double glass :oops:

I was always puzzled by only having 3 windows double glazed and decided it must be for noise suppression when your lying on the bottom bed with your head near the tailgate.