Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Drivers seat swivel

john eagle

john eagle

Eaglehead
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi is there an easy method for swivelling the drivers seat without having to make multiple adjustments during the process

Hi is there an easy method for swivelling the drivers seat without having to make multiple adjustments during the process

I like to have steering wheel pulled out all the way so this gets in the way of the driver swivel even if you open door.

I’ve found the quickest method for me is to incline the seat first. Pull the seat forward then hold both swivel and seat adjustment lever so both movements are unlocked. Then as you start to swivel you can slide it forward and back at the same time incase or hitting b-pillar or steering wheel. Sounds a handful but after a few times you get used to it.

Think he missed the important first step of making sure the van is put in gear to prevent it rolling when you release the hand brake (it did look like it was in gear), also no need to move the steering wheel. In answer to the question there is no easy way, just gets easier the more you do it. A button handbrake would make the processors much easier and safer, especially once the van is on ramps.

, also no need to move the steering wheel.
Depends where you normally have the steering wheel, I have down on the lowest position & cant rotate the seat without raising it.

If you do a search there's been lots of information previously about this.
One thing that we always do on our California's is, once we've established how far to slide the seat forward to facilitate a clean swing. Mark the position on the runners by put on bits of tape, then drawing lines, so they line up each time before you rotate.

Good morning,

It is a wee bit annoying to turn the drive seat. Because of this I stopped doing this (or I won't turn it as often as I should).

Leaving a campsite the next morning means each time a "full driving setup" adjustment :rolleyes: . The inside mirror has to be adjusted, the steering wheel has to be adjusted to the "normal" driving position as well as the seat.

I assume all this is with the T6.1 still the same. If this is the case it is pity, because VW missed an opportunity to improve the practicability of the California.

Happy California
Eberhard

Good morning,

It is a wee bit annoying to turn the drive seat. Because of this I stopped doing this (or I won't turn it as often as I should).

Leaving a campsite the next morning means each time a "full driving setup" adjustment :rolleyes: . The inside mirror has to be adjusted, the steering wheel has to be adjusted to the "normal" driving position as well as the seat.

I assume all this is with the T6.1 still the same. If this is the case it is pity, because VW missed an opportunity to improve the practicability of the California.

Happy California
Eberhard
VW constantly missed opportunities to improve the practicality of a California. Like on the T6.1, the seats still mark just with water droplets. It's a campervan, surely they should be more durable.

I am lucky I have a left hand drive van, so turning the right hand side seat is very handy. Slide the seat all to the front, straighten the back a bit, open the right door, pull the lever and give the seat a swing.

Just slide the driver's seat (left) all to the front, and leave it there. It makes a good step up for the top bed.
No need to turn the driver's seat as it is impractical to use with the steering wheel in the back, and the kitchen in the front (when turned around).

Here’s my method, which I find simple to accomplish even in the rain, and repeatable with no fiddling about. It may look complicated, that’s because I’ve broken it down to individual steps but it’s really quick and easy after the first time, trust me!
My normal steering wheel position is fully out and full down.
All the following are done from the drivers door (open) and standing outside the vehicle.
1. Move steering wheel fully in and fully up.
2. Ensure in gear (mine is DSG so in P).
3. Release handbrake.
4. Reach over and recline seat to a few turns past the upright position.
5. Lower right arm rest.
6. Now this is the important bit to make this easy each and every time - with your right hand lift the seat back-forward adjustment lever and with your left hand slide the seat forward. Now feel for the seat runners beneath the seat (a movable channel which slides inside a fixed channel). You need to slide the seat forward so approximately 3mm (1/8inch) of sliding runner protrudes outside the fixed runner.
6. Release the seat latch - sometimes needs to be ‘bumped’ with the palm of your right hand. Rotate seat to face backwards.
8. With your right hand lift the adjustment lever and slide seat towards rear of vehicle as desired then recline back to give the position desired.
9. Reapply handbrake.

With practice this can be done in less than a minute.

I do this regularly since I put the seat in the facing backward position when parked overnight as a theft deterrent. For those interest, to create extra hassle for an opportunist their I slide the seat fully backwards, recline seat back to touch the steering wheel and raise the arm rest. Won’t stop the pros but hopefully opportunists will get frustrated enough to give up after taking too much time to work it all out.

To reverse procedure:

1. Release handbrake.
2. Slide seat back to give the critical 3mm runner protrusion. Easy to see this with seat reversed so no need to ‘feel for it’ as in first procedure.
3. Recline to a few turns past vertical and ensure right arm rest is down.
4. Reach through sliding door and release seat latch then rotate seat to face forward.
5. Slide seat fully back and turn recline wheel to give approximate recline angle.
6. Reapply handbrake.
7. When seated, adjust seat back-forth position, recline angle and steering wheel position.

Job done!

Easy.

1. Release handbrake
2. Tilt the seat forward
3. Get out
4. Tilt the seat a bit further
5. Chase your Cali as is starts to roll backwards down the steep hill you parked it on....

Be honest, how many of us have done the ‘Twister’ position? - right leg on the brake pedal as we wobble about trying to keep the van stationary whilst we move the seat!

You missed the bit about saying a few rude words as you realise you’ve pegged out the wind out awning & now can’t get the drivers door open enough to rotate the seat.