Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

DSG Gearbox manoeuvring uphill & going downhill

Mine is a 2018 204 TSI and normally seems to be fine, I have done 15000 miles. I have no noticeable delay and can regulate power delivery. The only time I had this problem was reversing out of an abnormally steep dirt driveway around a tight bend in a Spanish village, I had to apply a lot of of throttle before it would start to move and then it took off like a catapult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great to hear from someone who doesn't seem to have problems under normal usage :)
I imagine that particularly steep hills are going to be an issue for any auto box.

I'd be really interested to hear if any 204 owners have noticed the same problem.
Ours is a 2018 MY 204 DSG. I haven't noticed any of the problems described in this thread.

I find our current van a vast improvement on our previous 2014 T5.1 180 4m with regards to DSG lag.

I was hoping that there might be some who have the T6 DSG and don't have these problems.
I have no issues with our DSG either on our 180 T5 or our 150 T6 back out of a steep drive not issue at pulling away forward re any lag. I would only buy a DSG if buying again.

Last edited:
I have no issues with our DSG either on our 180 T5 or our 150 T6 back out of a steep drive not issue at pulling away forward re any lag. I would only buy a DSG if buying again.
Thanks very much @Meoncoast. Can I ask which model year your T6 150 is? I'm now trying to pin down if the issue is only with Euro6.2 compliant vehicles (which I think can be identified by the presence of an AdBlue tank). All the responses so far have confirmed this - only MY 2019 vehicles are affected.

Thanks very much @Meoncoast. Can I ask which model year your T6 150 is? I'm now trying to pin down if the issue is only with Euro6.2 compliant vehicles (which I think can be identified by the presence of an AdBlue tank). All the responses so far have confirmed this - only MY 2019 vehicles are affected.
2016 Euro6

Very interesting post this. Owner of a 150ps MY2018 DSG. Searched the forums due to the antics of the Cali in reverse. I have experienced the roll forward when starting to reverse up a steep hill, lots of throttle to get it going but didn’t smell like it did the clutch any good. I also struggle when reversing up a kerb. If I roll up to the kerb, I start to accelerate and needs quite a bit to get up. I get a wiff of burning clutch which led me to this post. I now have a little run up, but doesn’t feel right and not always possible. I can understand the hill start when on a steep hill, but the kerb on a flat is puzzling me.

Very interesting post this. Owner of a 150ps MY2018 DSG. Searched the forums due to the antics of the Cali in reverse. I have experienced the roll forward when starting to reverse up a steep hill, lots of throttle to get it going but didn’t smell like it did the clutch any good. I also struggle when reversing up a kerb. If I roll up to the kerb, I start to accelerate and needs quite a bit to get up. I get a wiff of burning clutch which led me to this post. I now have a little run up, but doesn’t feel right and not always possible. I can understand the hill start when on a steep hill, but the kerb on a flat is puzzling me.

Can I ask whether your Cali has the AdBlue tank. I wonder whether this is a better indicator of a Euro6.2 compliant Cali rather than specifically the Model Year.
I should amend my statement above to - so far all the people who have the "clutch not engaging fully when creeping" issue seem to have a Euro6.2 compliant Cali.

I'm aiming to gather enough data to verify this is the case and to then hopefully persuade Revo to use our van as the guinea-pig to create a DSG remap to try and fix these issues.

Can I ask whether your Cali has the AdBlue tank. I wonder whether this is a better indicator of a Euro6.2 compliant Cali rather than specifically the Model Year.
I should amend my statement above to - so far all the people who have the "clutch not engaging fully when creeping" issue seem to have a Euro6.2 compliant Cali.

I'm aiming to gather enough data to verify this is the case and to then hopefully persuade Revo to use our van as the guinea-pig to create a DSG remap to try and fix these issues.

Yes it has the AdBlue tank.

My T6 California has no Ad Blue tank, but it is the superior petrol variant.

All T6 California's have AdBlue tanks, The T6.1 Transporter will be available later this year, Cali versions will not be available until 2020, probably.
Darn. I didn't realise. Thanks for correcting me. I was hoping that would be an easy way to identify those vehicles which were produced late last year after the emissions mods which took the power down from 204 to 199. It would seem that there are several people with very slightly older T6 vans (e.g. @Meoncoast's 2016 T6 & @motacyclist's 2018 T6) which don't have the problem.

From my research so far, all the Cali's supplied in 2019 do have the issue as do some supplied in late 2018. Maybe there's nothing physical to see and the changes were simply made in software. This would be encouraging as it's then more likely to be possible to fix with a remap.

From my research so far, all the Cali's supplied in 2019 do have the issue as do some supplied in late 2018. Maybe there's nothing physical to see and the changes were simply made in software. This would be encouraging as it's then more likely to be possible to fix with a remap.
Frightened to put ours in for service now in case they do an "update" and b***** it up! :Nailbiting

I found this table on the T6 Forum. I'm sure that it's been discussed here before but I thought it might be interesting to post it in this thread too.

It confirms that the latest emissions changes were finally complied with in Summer 18 with vans built after July conforming to Euro6.2 rather than the earlier Euro6.1 This is what resulted in the drop in power from 150Kw (204PS) to 146Kw (199PS). Seemingly the 110Kw (150PS) engine didn't lose any power.

It doesn't seem to give any clues on how to identify vehicles produced since the change though. Unless there's simply a "date manufactured" sticker hiding somewhere!

Darn. I didn't realise. Thanks for correcting me. I was hoping that would be an easy way to identify those vehicles which were produced late last year after the emissions mods which took the power down from 204 to 199. It would seem that there are several people with very slightly older T6 vans (e.g. @Meoncoast's 2016 T6 & @motacyclist's 2018 T6) which don't have the problem.

Late May 2017 manufacture with ad-blue tank. Bought with 200 miles Sept 2017. No issues of lag or reverse issues so far but I don't recollect having to reverse up steep incline.

Late May 2017 manufacture with ad-blue tank. Bought with 200 miles Sept 2017. No issues of lag or reverse issues so far but I don't recollect having to reverse up steep incline.
Thanks @altvic The problem manifests itself even on gentle inclines so I'd assume that you can't have it.
It's also a problem going forwards - if maneuvering when parking while facing up a slight slope it's very easy to roll backwards (after the hill-hold had disengaged) if you don't depress the accelerator enough :eek:

It's disappointing to hear that others have just the same issue. I was hoping that there might be some who have the T6 DSG and don't have these problems. Or at least had found a way to fix these issues. I'm still holing out a glimmer of hope that there might be a way to solve this either by mechanical adjustment or altering the DSG software. However going down the DSG remap route sounds a bit scary on a brand new vehicle as I'd worry about losing our warranty.

Serves me right for not test driving before ordering - I stupidly assumed that VW would have made the T6 better to drive than the T5, not worse! Crazy that none of the reviews seem to mention this. Although maybe the reviews were of the 204 and not the 199.

I'd be really interested to hear if any 204 owners have noticed the same problem. Sadly I can't track this from people's Vehicle ID on the forum as there's no 199 option, only 204.
Hello, mine is a 2018 204 Tdi, I have done 30.000 km,s, and I have had the same problem with Dsg since first day. I have spoken with my VW dealer and they have told me everything is Ok.

Hello, mine is a 2018 204 Tdi, I have done 30.000 km,s, and I have had the same problem with Dsg since first day. I have spoken with my VW dealer and they have told me everything is Ok.
Thanks for letting me know. Yours is actually the first report of a 204 having the issue as it's only been 199s so far. May I ask which month you took delivery of the vehicle i.e. is is definitely a Euro6.1 rather than Euro6.2 vehicle?

I had to give up trying to reverse a trailer uphill with my 204 due to the continuous stopping making it too difficult to control the trailer as well. Slight bend to negotiate.
Never had any problems with former Eos with DSG

I had to give up trying to reverse a trailer uphill with my 204 due to the continuous stopping making it too difficult to control the trailer as well. Slight bend to negotiate.
Never had any problems with former Eos with DSG
Ah. So another 204 with the issue :(
Maybe my hope that the Euro6.1 -> 6.2 software changes caused the problem is incorrect.
It's still strange how many 204 owners don't seem to have this problem.

I have exactly the same problem on my 2019 T6 Beach DSG 4MO 150ps.
I park in reverse with a small hill. I'm a little more used to it, but the van won't move without a good dose of acceleration. The van has now over 4000 miles, but this DSG is far away from the smoothness of a real automatic gearbox.
The thing I don't understand, is that I have a similar gearbox on my motorcycle (Honda Africa Twin DCT).
I never had issues with its behavior, even at very low speed, (especially in off road when the acceleration has to be precise). There is definitively something wrong with the way the torque/power is transmitted.
Stressful !! As many of you, I went back to my VW dealer who said the behavior is absolutely normal...

I have exactly the same problem on my 2019 T6 Beach DSG 4MO 150ps.
I park in reverse with a small hill. I'm a little more used to it, but the van won't move without a good dose of acceleration. The van has now over 4000 miles, but this DSG is far away from the smoothness of a real automatic gearbox.
The thing I don't understand, is that I have a similar gearbox on my motorcycle (Honda Africa Twin DCT).
I never had issues with its behavior, even at very low speed, (especially in off road when the acceleration has to be precise). There is definitively something wrong with the way the torque/power is transmitted.
Stressful !! As many of you, I went back to my VW dealer who said the behavior is absolutely normal...
Yeah. It's crazy isn't it. As you may have spotted above, we have both a T6 199 and a T5 180 and the T5 doesn't have this problem at all.

My 204, April 2018 has exactly the same problem. I raised it on this forum in May 2018.

My 204, April 2018 has exactly the same problem. I raised it on this forum in May 2018.
Of course! Why didn't I simply check the date of your original post. Sorry about that.
So the issue clearly isn't related to the changes made in Summer 18. I think I'll drop that theory now.

I'll report back how we get on with Revo. We've had our ECU read by one of their agents and we're waiting for them to say whether they need us to take our van in to be the guinea pig for the T6 199 DSG remap.

p.s. Apologies for seeming to hijack your thread @audio2 !

Thanks for letting me know. Yours is actually the first report of a 204 having the issue as it's only been 199s so far. May I ask which month you took delivery of the vehicle i.e. is is definitely a Euro6.1 rather than Euro6.2 vehicle?
Hello, the van arrived to Spain in June.